Am I crazy like a fox, or just plain crazy?

Old September 26th 05, 03:25 AM
Brian Walker

Default Am I crazy like a fox, or just plain crazy?

I started looking at other road bikes over the past month and decided I
liked quite a bit of the features the upper end bikes offer. When I started
looking at the price tags, I knew I couldn't afford to plunk down $1500+ on
a bike all at once. I figured I'd instead upgrade my existing bike. I have a
2003 Trek 1000. I was looking for performance and comfort all in one
package. I started by changing the handlebars from the stock ones to the FSA
K-Wing carbon. After that, I changed the fork to a full carbon fork with
carbon steerer and changed the stem. Talking with others about wheels, I was
told different wheels would help both with performance and comfort. At first
I didn't believe them, but I did some research and found that there might've
been some truth to it. I found some Spinergy wheels that were in my budget
and bought those to put on in place of the Alex rims it had. I changed the
seat and went with a Selle San Marco ASPire. Now I'm looking at changing the
top chainring from a 52 to a 55.

Now that I'm riding this bike, it's a completely different riding bike than
before. It's super smooth, has plenty of performance in handling and speed
and looks GOOD! I never thought these changes would yield such a difference
in a bike, but they have. I've found with these parts I've added that I'm
able to go farther, faster and less stress than before. I've also noticed
the big difference that I don't have that bone-jarring ride I did before.

My question is whether I'm simply throwing my money away by pouring these
upgrades into an entry level bike, or if the bike is now a high-end quality
bike riding on an entry level frame? Did I make the best decision by
upgrading this bike, or should I have went ahead and bought one of the other
bikes I was looking at?

For comparison, I'm only at $1100 total price for my bike with bike and
upgrades combined....still $400 under the price of the bike I was looking at
buying to replace this one with.

Old September 26th 05, 04:00 AM
Bob

Brian Walker wrote:

... changing the handlebars from the stock ones to the FSA
K-Wing carbon. After that, I changed the fork to a full carbon fork with
carbon steerer and changed the stem. Talking with others about wheels, I was
told different wheels would help both with performance and comfort. At first
I didn't believe them, but I did some research and found that there might've
been some truth to it. I found some Spinergy wheels that were in my budget
and bought those to put on in place of the Alex rims it had. I changed the
seat and went with a Selle San Marco ASPire. Now I'm looking at changing the
top chainring from a 52 to a 55.

... $1100 total price for my bike with bike and
upgrades combined....still $400 under the price of the bike I was looking at
buying to replace this one with.

All those upgrades and you're under $1100? Did somebody *give* you the
bike? Where are you going to find a 55t chainring and, more to the
point, why do you want it? 52x11 just not enough gear, huh?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old September 26th 05, 04:52 AM
Brian Walker

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Brian Walker wrote:

[...]

It's actually slightly over $1100....$1176 to be exact. That's including the
headlight, taillight, tailbag, pedals, computer, compression plug for the
fork, fork installation charges (I wasn't about to cut a new fork) and new
tires that I needed after I rode the bike a little bit. Those were just
added expenses that I've been keeping tabs of, but basically would have gone
on any bike.

So, did I throw my money away on the bike and should've gone with a new
bike, or did I do good and make a nice bike for myself? The bike I was
looking at was the Novara Trionfo from REI. Their website shows a price of
$2799, but their store here in Dallas has them for $1699. They had a sale
over the Labor Day week and it seemed like they had everything on sale
EXCEPT that bike... g
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...jpg&view=large

Where are you going to find a 55t chainring and, more to the
point, why do you want it? 52x11 just not enough gear, huh?

The LBS calls me a "gear masher"....whatever that means.

Old September 26th 05, 06:03 AM

I hope you fly with spend over thousand dollar on bike.

Old September 26th 05, 06:08 AM
Brian Walker

wrote in message
oups.com...

I hope you fly with spend over thousand dollar on bike.

Thank you.

Old September 26th 05, 06:25 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Brian Walker" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Brian Walker wrote:

[heavily upgraded Trek 1000]

[...]

I don't think of a Trek 1000 as a throwaway bike. Everything about it is
good enough, and no matter what anyone tells you, good enough is good
enough.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...841693&storeId
=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=PLATINUM/BLACK&img=/media/438
990.jpg&view=large

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...841693&storeId
=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&

That bike is a laundry list of top-end gear. I hate to say it, but $1700
is a pretty good deal on that spec of bike.

Well, you made a bike that makes you happy for $1176 instead of $1700.
And that includes, as you note, stuff like lights, bags, and sundries
that a Novara Trionfo is not immune to requiring.

What did you give up? The Trionfo is maybe 5 pounds lighter than your
bike, and has high-zoot parts that function about as well as Tiagra for
a multiple of the cost (plus some weight savings).

5 pounds is a lot for a bike, though: if you decided to drop 5 pounds on
your Trek 1000, the cheapest way to upgrade it would be to sell it and
buy a Trionfo. But don't let that stop you from enjoying the Trek.

Where are you going to find a 55t chainring and, more to the
point, why do you want it? 52x11 just not enough gear, huh?

The LBS calls me a "gear masher"....whatever that means.

That's because they don't want to say meaner things about someone who is
a good customer. There is no way you need a 55x12 on that bike. I win
races, I'm a sprinter, and I run a . . . 53?x12. I don't run out of
gears. Ever.

Are you doing a whole bunch of motorpacing?

Old September 26th 05, 01:43 PM
The Wogster

Brian Walker wrote:
I started looking at other road bikes over the past month and decided I
liked quite a bit of the features the upper end bikes offer. When I started
looking at the price tags, I knew I couldn't afford to plunk down $1500+ on
a bike all at once. I figured I'd instead upgrade my existing bike. I have a
2003 Trek 1000. I was looking for performance and comfort all in one

SNIP of upgrade details

My question is whether I'm simply throwing my money away by pouring these
upgrades into an entry level bike, or if the bike is now a high-end quality
bike riding on an entry level frame? Did I make the best decision by
upgrading this bike, or should I have went ahead and bought one of the other
bikes I was looking at?

Well, in a word no, a bike is basically a frame with a bunch of parts
attached, so upgrading some or even many of those parts, is one option
to get a nicer bike, without needing to buy a new one. It's also not
that uncommon, although most folks do the upgrading over time, rather
then all at once. I did that with one bike I had, over a 4 year period.

For comparison, I'm only at $1100 total price for my bike with bike and
upgrades combined....still $400 under the price of the bike I was looking at
buying to replace this one with.

That depends on what you could sell a 3 model year old Trek for,
probably less then $400, so your actually still gaining.

Old September 26th 05, 04:30 PM
Michael Erickson

I think you did the right thing. I have a year 2000 Trek 1000. I just
bought a new bike because I want to do loaded touring. However, if I had
wanted to continue racing, I would have done exactly what you did.

It's funny, because I had all of the exact same questions in my head. Do
I spend money upgrading an "entry-level" road bike, or bite the bullet
and move to a "better" bike?

The thing is, I /like/ the Trek. I think the frame is well-designed and
very light. In fact, I never minded the stock Sora components that came
on it. Basically, I think it is an excellent bike at a great price.

So, I think you made a great choice and I'm glad you feel that it was
worth it.

Best regards,
--mike

--