Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock

Old April 13th 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock

Damn, I'm waiting on my 'bent, the HP Velo SMGTe, as spec'ed by Hostel
Shoppe. Shipping Friday or Monday...probably another week thereafter
until it finally arrives...I'm planning to have 'em ship it to work,
where I'll spend lunchtime assembling it (it's supposed to be like 90%
assembled already), and I'll be riding it the ten miles home that
evening! I'm new to 'bents, but, I dunno...I feel confident riding it
in NYC traffic! I'm only really concerned about the hills. =)

Sigh...after all this time -- just found out these damned air shocks
will need a special air shock pump -- I'm afraid it'll be
anti-climactic! I don't really see how it's dangerous riding in NYC
traffic in an SWB...I expect to go much slower than on my DF, where I
average 18 mph (20 when the coast is clear)...I'll have my flourescent
"phred" safety flag...and an AirZound2 air horn...and I'll probably
take to the sidewalk half the time...and I know of a few out-of-the-way
routes, even for rush hour traffic...actually, my biggest concern is
all the ghetto kidz throwing something at me, now that the weather's
warm up here and these monkeys have nothing else for entertainment....

So far this year, I've seen two 'bent-riders in NYC. Can't wait to
join y'all! I hope the x-seam measurement of 42" is right...I'm 5'11"
without shoes.

Damn, I'm already planning on getting a second 'bent late summer, the
Maxarya Ray-1X dual-suspension CLWB from Canada...apparently the
one-man company is going through some kind of business deal whereby he
might be bought out or something...more US dealers to come
"soon"...hope I can get one for myself! More bang-for-the-buck than
the HP Velo Spirit -- thus, a whole lot less expensive -- and the
one-size-fits-all design makes it the perfect guest bike for friends
and family.

What are you doing these days bent-wise?

I can't wait to ride in chilly wintry weather later in the year, when
summer bugs are gone and the sun stops being so harsh. An added
benefit would be that most people stay indoors, so I'll have the roads
to myself.

How am I supposed to hang up a 'bent like the HP Velo SMGTe?

Old April 13th 06, 08:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

NYC XYZ wrote:

average 18 mph (20 when the coast is clear)...I'll have my flourescent
"phred" safety flag...and an AirZound2 air horn...and I'll probably
take to the sidewalk half the time...

It's worth realising that road positioning has more to do with
visibility than flags. You'd need to check the data for the US, but in
most countries it's quite a lot /more/ dangerous to cycle on the
sidewalks than the roads (not intuitive at first, but the figures show
this: since you're in a place where people aren't looking out for
vehicular traffic and with far more rights of way conflict, you are more
likley to come to grief).

What are you doing these days bent-wise?

Riding mine! :-)

How am I supposed to hang up a 'bent like the HP Velo SMGTe?

If you don't have a light on the rear rack, the rear rack would be a
pretty obvious anchor point. Otherwise I'd think wheel hooks should work.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 14th 06, 08:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

NYC XYZ wrote:

Oh, I'd meant in the apartment. On the wall and off the floor.

That's what I was thinking too. All you'd need is a hook mounted either
from wall or ceiling to catch the rack or rear wheel and it'll hang
vertically. Obviously it'll need to be a fairly substantial mount, but
that should be enough. Adding a pulley will make it easier to get up
and down.

Pete.