The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

Old April 16th 11, 04:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bret Cahill[_3_]

Default The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

Texas, on
the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
from there.

Texans might not have the highest cycling rate but the State of Texas
has many thousands of miles of service roads that are almost free of
motorists, at least out side of city limits.

Most of the roads in TX have generous shoulders and/or broad emergency
lanes.

Texans are not generally malicious and will try to avoid striking a
cyclist.

Try to remember, Lance is from Texas.

Bret Cahill

Old April 16th 11, 01:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 4/15/2011 11:20 PM, Bret Cahill wrote:
Texas, on
the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
from there.

Texans might not have the highest cycling rate but the State of Texas
has many thousands of miles of service roads that are almost free of
motorists, at least out side of city limits.

Most of the roads in TX have generous shoulders and/or broad emergency
lanes.

Texans are not generally malicious and will try to avoid striking a
cyclist.

Try to remember, Lance is from Texas.

Yeah, but that's not what he said about riding in Texas, or at least
around Austin.

Bret Cahill

http://tinyurl.com/5veo82u

http://books.google.com/books?id=bx9...g e&q&f=false
Old April 16th 11, 02:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

On Apr 15, 11:20*pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
Texas, on
the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
from there.

Texans might not have the highest cycling rate but the State of Texas
has many thousands of miles of service roads that are almost free of
motorists, at least out side of city limits.

Most of the roads in TX have generous shoulders and/or broad emergency
lanes.

Texans are not generally malicious and will try to avoid striking a
cyclist.

Try to remember, Lance is from Texas.

Bret Cahill

I was inspired by Opus the Poet and he has some pretty scary stories
to tell us. Besides it was one of the few states that refused to give
3' of clearance to cyclists, not that it means anything but it goes to
show that they want to avoid liability for drivers at all costs.

Elite and mundane cyclists have nothing in common but their two
wheels. The wannabe Lances often travel in pack and travel fast almost
at the speed of the cars. Regrettably their sport is good for their
heart rates, but not much to substitute the car, as they are likely to
use an SUV to launch a bike.

We have those here in Key Biscayne as a microcosm of the real world of
cycling, ie. that one done on sidewalks in order to survive. Elite
cyclists are often elitist but not always, quoting someone that made
the distinction.

The Bermuda Triangle still is a good point of reference and the NW
Pacific Coast is exceptionally good by comparison.
Old April 16th 11, 03:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Opus[_2_]

On Apr 16, 8:44*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" wrote:
snip
I was inspired by Opus the Poet and he has some pretty scary stories
to tell us. Besides it was one of the few states that refused to give
3' of clearance to cyclists, not that it means anything but it goes to
show that they want to avoid liability for drivers at all costs.

I have noticed a big difference between the treatment I get from
drivers in cities, particularly the one I live in, and rural areas.
Drivers in rural areas tend to pass further away and have much less
hostility than their city mouse cousins. Unfortunately almost all the
riding I have done in the last 3 years has been within 5 miles of my
house.

And it wasn't Texas that refused to pass the Vulnerable Road Users
law, it was Rick Perry, our very own Gov. Goodhair.
Old April 16th 11, 07:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Trevor A Panther

Top posted deliberately

And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
"uk.rec.cycling"

It is to, say the least, a total PIA!

You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response

--
From
Trevor A Panther

Old April 16th 11, 09:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Trevor A Panther" wrote in message
Top posted deliberately

And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
"uk.rec.cycling"

It is to, say the least, a total PIA!

You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response

Your problem is with just one poster who goes by the moniker of "Tibetan
Monkey". I know for a fact that your newsgroup (URC) is as ****ed up as any
in the world, but I do sympathize with what we all have to put up with
because of one gigantic idiot, i.e. TM! Figure out how to get rid of him and
the rest of us will be eternally grateful.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old April 17th 11, 02:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

On Apr 16, 2:27*pm, "Trevor A Panther"
wrote:
[...]

http://books.google.com/books?id=bx9...ots=slekrz9id5...

The UK is not a full political entity without America. It's tied by
the ocean and some other common interests.

For example, English.
Old April 17th 11, 02:57 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.rec.cycling
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

On Apr 16, 4:41*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Trevor A Panther" wrote in ...

Top posted deliberately

And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
"uk.rec.cycling"

It is to, say the least, a total PIA!

You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response

Your problem is with just one poster who goes by the moniker of "Tibetan
Monkey". I know for a fact that your newsgroup (URC) is as ****ed up as any
in the world, but I do sympathize with what we all have to put up with
because of one gigantic idiot, i.e. TM! Figure out how to get rid of him and
the rest of us will be eternally grateful.

Listen, my wisdom has gone as far as Tibet, why not the UK?

Nobody, but nobody is hiding from the truth. Not even you in
Minnesota.

Old April 17th 11, 03:17 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 16, 10:46*am, Opus wrote:
On Apr 16, 8:44*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser

Philosopher" wrote:
snip
I was inspired by Opus the Poet and he has some pretty scary stories
to tell us. Besides it was one of the few states that refused to give
3' of clearance to cyclists, not that it means anything but it goes to
show that they want to avoid liability for drivers at all costs.

I have noticed a big difference between the treatment I get from
drivers in cities, particularly the one I live in, and rural areas.
Drivers in rural areas tend to pass further away and have much less
hostility than their city mouse cousins. Unfortunately almost all the
riding I have done in the last 3 years has been within 5 miles of my
house.

And it wasn't Texas that refused to pass the Vulnerable Road Users
law, it was Rick Perry, our very own Gov. Goodhair.

That's a dangerous governor, I tell you.

Opus, use the Wisdom of the Jungle or common sense and you will see
some hidden dangers on country roads. Firstly, they don't expect bikes
there. Secondly, they may be half sleep. And thirdly, you won't
receive any aid in a hit and run.

I think we have to survive in our Urban Jungle waiting for a miracle.
Well, it's not miracle if we work together to make it happen.

What are the news of the day, according to your record of incidents
and accidents, which are not accidents but preventable incidents.

Incidents are close calls and accidents require a lawyer or
undertaker.