Giro d'Italia, stage 15 summary

Old May 24th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

Default Giro d'Italia, stage 15 summary

Stage 15 - Sunday, May 24: Forlě - Faenza, 161km

First 10 finishers :
1 Leonardo Bertagnolli (Ita) Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli 4.18.34 (37.359km/h)
2 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Cervelo Test Team 0.54
3 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team Columbia - Highroad
4 Lars Ytting Bak (Den) Team Saxo Bank
5 Marco Marzano (Ita) Lampre - N.G.C. 0.56
6 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) ISD 1.27
7 Mauro Facci (Ita) Quick Step 1.49
8 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale 1.51
9 Eduard Vorganov (Rus) Xacobeo Galicia
10 Kevin Seeldrayers (Bel) Quick Step 1.56

Changes in stage 15 compared to stage 14 :

Biggest gainers by position :
+22 Mauro Facci
+17 Hector Gonzalez
+16 Serge Pauwels
+15 Alessandro Donati
+14 Guillaume Le Floch
+13 Marco Marzano
+12 Vladimir Miholjevic
+12 Alessandro Spezialetti
+11 Valerio Agnoli
+11 Pablo Lastras

Biggest losers by position :
-18 Gilberto Simoni
-16 Michele Scarponi
-10 Christopher Froome
-8 Felix Cardenas
-8 Mauricio Soler
-7 Bradley Wiggins
-7 Dario David Cioni
-7 Jackson Rodriguez
-7 Jose Luis Rubiera
-5 Carlos Jose Ochoa
-5 Evgeny Petrov

Biggest gainers by time :
+2:16 Leonardo Bertagnolli
+1:16 Serge Pauwels
+1:10 Marco Pinotti
+1:02 Lars Ytting Bak
+0:50 Marco Marzano
+0:29 Andriy Grivko
+0:13 Mauro Facci
+0:05 Tadej Valjavec
+0:05 Eduard Vorganov

Biggest losers by time :
-20:52 Addy Engels
-20:52 Alberto Fernandez
-20:52 Alessandro Petacchi
-20:52 Alexander Serov
-20:52 Anders Lund
-20:52 Angel Gomez
-20:52 Anthony Charteau
-20:52 Arnold Jeannesson
-20:52 Bart Dockx
-20:52 Bartosz Huzarski
-20:52 Ben Swift

Favourites by position :
+2 Damiano Cunego
+1 Thomas Lovkvist
+1 Stefano Garzelli
+1 Marzio Bruseghin
+1 Lance Armstrong
-2 Jens Voigt
-18 Gilberto Simoni

Favourites by time :
-1:00 Lance Armstrong
-1:00 Damiano Cunego
-16:03 Jens Voigt
-16:03 Gilberto Simoni

Top 3 and favourites standings :
1 Denis Menchov 62.54.23
2 Danilo Di Luca 0.34
3 Levi Leipheimer 0.43
4 Franco Pellizotti 2.00
5 Carlos Sastre 2.52
6 Ivan Basso 3.03
7 Michael Rogers 3.05
8 Marzio Bruseghin 5.26
10 Thomas Lovkvist 6.26
12 Stefano Garzelli 7.15
13 Lance Armstrong 8.28
15 Damiano Cunego 9.43
26 Gilberto Simoni 21.20
55 Jens Voigt 1.01.12

Retirements to date : Stage
David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 15
Eros Capecchi (Ita) Fuji-Servetto 15
Iban Mayoz (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 15
Ricardo Serrano (Spa) Fuji-Servetto 15
Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 15
Cameron Meyer (Aus) Garmin - Slipstream 14
Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Team Katusha 14
Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Silence-Lotto 14
Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team Columbia - Highroad 14
Mark Renshaw (Aus) Team Columbia - Highroad 14
Steve Chainel (Fra) BBox Bouygues Telecom 14
Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 12
Christopher Horner (USA) Astana 11
Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 11
Ronny Scholz (Ger) Team Milram 10
Julien Loubet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 8
Pedro Horrillo (Spa) Rabobank 8
Ruslan Pidgornyy (Ukr) ISD 8
Jesus Del Nero (Spa) Fuji-Servetto 7
David Garcia Da Pena (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 5
Francisco Perez Sanchez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 4
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 3
Matthias Russ (Ger) Team Milram 2
Total retirements : 23

Old May 24th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

The cyclingnews.com headline "the day radios were thrown out of the
window" makes me think those people don't really see the live
coverage.
Old May 24th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 24, 3:21*pm, Susan Walker wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Retirements to date : * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Stage
*David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *15
*Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *15
*Cameron Meyer (Aus) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 14
*Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *3

Wow.

Indeed. That's something I've noticed about Astana/Discovery/Postal -
you know, Team LANCE - they seem to have a much lower attrition rate
in the grand tours. Really sucks that Horner heads up the Astana
retirement list for this year's Giro.

Old May 24th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Susan Walker wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Retirements to date : Stage
David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 15
Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 15
Cameron Meyer (Aus) Garmin - Slipstream 14
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 3

Wow.

Somewhere, the Gila Monster is in ecstasy.

--
Michael Press
Old May 24th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Bob Martin wrote:
Retirements to date : * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Stage
*David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *15
*Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *15
*Cameron Meyer (Aus) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 14
*Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *3

Wow.

Indeed. *That's something I've noticed about Astana/Discovery/Postal -
you know, Team LANCE - they seem to have a much lower attrition rate
in the grand tours. *

Dumbass -

When you're on one of Bruyneel's teams, you spend your year
specifically preparing for those races. There is a lot of incentive.
His teams tend to do well and if you make a GT team that does well,
the prize money split can be rewarding, plus if you ride well you
likely get signed for next year.

If you don't make one of the GT teams, they're probably not gonna sign
you for next year.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old May 24th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

So the other teams don't have incentive, don't have specific
preparation and don't split the money? Of course they do, so what
does that have to do with the attrition? Do the other teams feel that
they don't need a full team?

I'm sure there's a point buried in there, but I can't see yours.
Elaborate.

Old May 24th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

They don't focus on the GTs in the same manner.

I can't be certain, not seeing any of this first hand.

I've just gleaned from third hand web stuff (same as what everyone
else gets) that they have specific functions in mind for everyone they
hire and they have them tailor their preparation accordingly from the
very beginning.

I think that Riis runs his show in a similar manner and so does
Lefevere (at least the way his team targets the Northern Classics).
From there, the teams get less and less organized. There isn't the
unity of purpose in some of those organizations.

Once again, I haven't seen this first hand. It's just informed
speculation.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old May 24th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

From there, the teams get less and less organized. There isn't the
unity of purpose in some of those organizations.

Once again, I haven't seen this first hand. It's just informed
speculation.

This is something I've noticed for some years. Team LANCE just
doesn't lose as many people during the race. Is there a LANCE dark
energy field protecting his protection? Does his recent LANCE-CRASH
indicate a depletion of this field? Tune in tomorrow, same LANCE
channel, same LANCE time.

Old May 25th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

From there, the teams get less and less organized. There isn't the
unity of purpose in some of those organizations.

Once again, I haven't seen this first hand. It's just informed
speculation.

This is something I've noticed for some years. *Team LANCE just
doesn't lose as many people during the race. *Is there a LANCE dark
energy field protecting his protection? *Does his recent LANCE-CRASH
indicate a depletion of this field? *Tune in tomorrow, same LANCE
channel, same LANCE time.

Dumbass -

It's the same thing with any of Riis' teams.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.