Wife & Whether to Helmet or not to Helmet

Old April 28th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wife & Whether to Helmet or not to Helmet

I'd say wear a helmet. If you are in an accident with a vehicle, the
helmet won't make much difference. You'll be dead or not by luck. But
most accidents I see are people crashing by themselves, on railroad
crossings, potholes, with other bikes, pedals breaking, etc. On these
low speed low impact accidents, the helmet works to keep your head from
being cracked open. So what could be a lengthy serious possibly
lifelong injury becomes a mild concussion that you recover from in a
week or so.

That's a statement of faith, not of fact.

The best data shows otherwise - that the helmet will make negligible
difference.

No. Its a fact I have seen first hand several accidents where the
rider smacked his helmet clad head into the pavement. 10-15 mph.
Helmet was crushed. Head had a mild concussion. Riders were driven to
the hospital for a check, instead of an ambulance being called. Riders
were back riding a week or so later. With new helmets.

What facts do you think are not facts in the above statement?

- Frank Krygowski

Old April 28th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 28 Apr 2006 12:10:36 -0700,

[...]

Dear Russell,

I doubt that Frank would argue that you have not seen
helmeted riders fall and survive with mild concussions.

But he may be wondering how many unhelmeted riders you have
seen suffer "lengthy serious possibly lifelong injuries" in
similar falls?

The invention of styrofoam helmets in the early 1980's was
not accompanied by any significant reduction in such serious
injuries.

To re-phrase things as nicely as possible, it is a matter of
fact that you have seen people with helmets crash and suffer
mild concussions. But it is a matter of faith or prediction
that a crash injury would have been significantly worse
without a helmet. Since nation-wide records fail to support
the prediction, "faith" is a reasonable description.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 28th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'd say wear a helmet. If you are in an accident with a vehicle, the
helmet won't make much difference. You'll be dead or not by luck. But
most accidents I see are people crashing by themselves, on railroad
crossings, potholes, with other bikes, pedals breaking, etc. On these
low speed low impact accidents, the helmet works to keep your head from
being cracked open. So what could be a lengthy serious possibly
lifelong injury becomes a mild concussion that you recover from in a
week or so.

That's a statement of faith, not of fact.

It is both. The two are not mutually exclusive. What you meant was
that it is a statement of faith, not of knowlege. No reason you can't
make a leap of faith and arrive at a fact.

It would also be a leap of faith to say that the sun is going to rise
tomorrow. We cannot know that. And it doesn't matter. Whether or not
it is known to us or is a fact or not is totally completely irrelevant.
It is so likely that we may as well assume/pretend to know it for
sure.

I remember what it feels like to hit my head on the playground, among
other things. I have also crashed and hit my head while wearing a bike
helmet. I know a little about styrafoam from poking it with my
fingers. I, like Russell, don't need conclusive scientific evidence or
proof to have arrived at fact - and to know it - through reasoning.

Why I am responding to a troll, -that- I don't understand.