Chainring Q

Old November 8th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Chainring Q

First, any problem with running 9sp 6500 chainring on 10sp 6600 crank
(130 bcd)? Second, any recommendations for a cheap substitute for a
Shimano ring. I'm not all that concerned about pins, ramps, etc.,
etc. since this is just my commuter bike.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 8th 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 9/11/2012 8:15 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
First, any problem with running 9sp 6500 chainring on 10sp 6600 crank
(130 bcd)? Second, any recommendations for a cheap substitute for a
Shimano ring. I'm not all that concerned about pins, ramps, etc.,
etc. since this is just my commuter bike.

Can't comment on the 9 - 10s question, but...

These work alright for me on 10s Campy. Also available for Shimano.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24153

Only glitch for me was because the Campy Chorus UT cranks use the crank
as the fifth leg, the post on the outside of the CR that is supposed to
stop the chain from jamming between the CR and crank if it throws too
far, was in the wrong place. I drilled it out (it is a rivet) and
drilled a hole in the right place and used a 2.5mm bolt with CS head and
two nuts to make an improvised post. Works just fine. Of course, you
wouldn't have any of that nonsense to worry about.

--
JS.
Old November 8th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/8/2012 3:15 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
First, any problem with running 9sp 6500 chainring on 10sp 6600 crank
(130 bcd)? Second, any recommendations for a cheap substitute for a
Shimano ring. I'm not all that concerned about pins, ramps, etc.,
etc. since this is just my commuter bike.

On the inner of a 130mm double, just about any commonly
available ring will install and shift without troubles.
Double inners don't have ramps.

If you want troubles, you'll find those in the middle ring
of triples with a very small low gear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 9th 12, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 8, 9:15*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
First, any problem with running 9sp 6500 chainring on 10sp 6600 crank
(130 bcd)? *Second, any recommendations for a cheap substitute for a
Shimano ring. *I'm not all that concerned about pins, ramps, etc.,
etc. since this is just my commuter bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

Stronglight Dural are normally the go to ring, ideal for 1/2 step
choices. Even with big steps they dont need ramps etc as the ring is
stiff and the alloy not excessively hardened. Look after your chain
and keep your teeth brushed and it will last.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...ng/strochri300
Old November 9th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:15:54 -0800 (PST), Jay Beattie
wrote:

First, any problem with running 9sp 6500 chainring on 10sp 6600 crank
(130 bcd)? Second, any recommendations for a cheap substitute for a
Shimano ring. I'm not all that concerned about pins, ramps, etc.,
etc. since this is just my commuter bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

I've run various mixes of 9/10 speed chain rings/cassettes and frankly
couldn't tell any difference (well, except for the number of sprockets
:-) I also mixed 10 speed chains with 9 speed cassettes and it seemed
to work all right.
--
Cheers,
John B.

Which chainring denis Techniques 3 October 29th 10 04:05 AM
1/8th Chainring in 110 PCD? Duncan Smith Techniques 6 July 17th 08 11:58 PM
1/8th Chainring in 110 PCD? Duncan Smith UK 6 July 17th 08 11:58 PM
Chainring: what is this for? RS Techniques 4 June 4th 08 07:02 PM
Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use) RobCam Techniques 13 August 10th 05 04:05 AM