Controlling the Lane

Old June 23rd 13, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Controlling the Lane

I performed a small test of controlling the lane today. Did my usual
weekend ride, though today on a Sunday. I normally ride on the shoulder
of a highway for about 10 miles. Speed limit is 55 mph, typical speed
of the cars in the low 60's.

For most of the route the shoulder is more than adequate, however, there
are a few places where it narrows to about a foot. In the place where I
took the lane, there are two travel lanes in my direction, the outside
lane is probably 10 feet wide (one of these days I'll remember to bring
a string with a weight to quickly measure it). For that section the
shoulder is about a foot and half wide, but narrows to a foot or less,
with a steel barrier to the right.

Traffic is light. I took the outside lane, riding slightly to the right
of its center, for about 1/4 mile. My speed was between 20 and 30 mph
(there was a downhill followed by the start of an uphill). Before doing
so I checked that there was plenty of time for approaching cars to see
me. I was passed by six vehicles (SUVs and passenger cars). I've
recently installed a mirror, so could watch the cars approaching.

Any predictions on what happened? Here are the possibilities, pretty
much in order of optimality from my perspective:

1. vehicle changed lanes to the inner lane and passed with no issues;
2. vehicle changed lanes to the inner lane and blasted the horn;
3. vehicle straddled the lane;
4. vehicle straddled the lane and blasted the horn
5. vehicle stayed in lane and slowed [the horn is a given]
6. I'm entering this from a laptop in the ER

The result was 3 and 4. All vehicles straddled the lane, but only half
of them were laying on the horn.

In case it wasn't clear, the inner lane is a travel lane in my
direction, changing lanes took minimal effort on the drivers' part.
Traffic was light, all the vehicles approached in the outside lane. My
unscientific observation, not verified with hard data, is that most
vehicles travel this highway in the outside lane, at least where there
is a choice (the total number of lanes, both directions, varies from 2
to 4). I assume the drivers do that to increase their distance from the
cars traveling in the opposite direction.

--
Joe Riel

Old June 23rd 13, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 12:42:30 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
[...]

What was the passing distance and was it greater or less than when you rode far right in the same area? BTW, where was this?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 23rd 13, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Jay Beattie writes:

[...]

I don't trust my ability to either accurately estimate or remember the
passing distance. With that in mind, it didn't seem any different than
usual. My unsubstantiated belief is that if I rode where I normally do,
pretty much near the white line, the cars would have given me about the
same passing distance, because they would have chosen to straddle the
lane, but they wouldn't be honking.

This was heading south on highway 67, about 1/4 north of its
intersection with Scripps Poway Parkway, in San Diego County. Google
14416 California 67 and look at the southbound lane. The reason someone
would want to take the lane there is to get away from the metal barrier
that occurs for a short distance.

--
Joe Riel
Old June 24th 13, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 24/06/13 05:42, Joe Riel wrote:
[...]

I am not surprised.

Last Wednesday a group of us rode along a 3 lane road with an 80kph
speed limit. There were six of us, and we were two abreast. The
traffic was very light, and we were riding in the opposite direction to
the normal evening flow.

Still, a young man on P plates decided two other lanes to choose from
was not enough, and straddled the lane as he passed us, hung on the horn
and cut in sharply in front.

Now, this was just one driver out of ?? many we had pass us on this 60
km ride, so the incident rate was nothing on a per car basis - but still
unnecessary.

--
JS
Old June 24th 13, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I often tap the horn twice approaching cyclists riding in the middle of the road not believing in natural empowerment of the novitiate or populist but in the probability cyclists riding in the middle of the road are brain addled.

Skewing conclusions.

Please give us credit for respecting your safety.
Old June 24th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 24/06/13 09:43, datakoll wrote:

I often tap the horn twice approaching cyclists riding in the middle of the road not believing in natural empowerment of the novitiate or populist but in the probability cyclists riding in the middle of the road are brain addled.

Skewing conclusions.

Please give us credit for respecting your safety.

A friendly toot toot is different from a continuous hoooooooooonk.

The former says "Hi, I'm here and about to pass." in a friendly manner,
the latter says "Get of the f***ing road~!"

The former is ofter responded to with a thank you wave, where as the
latter is often responded to with a "F*** you~!" and a single middle
digit raised.

--
JS
Old June 24th 13, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Joe Riel writes:

I performed a small test of controlling the lane today. Did my usual
weekend ride, though today on a Sunday. I normally ride on the shoulder
of a highway for about 10 miles. Speed limit is 55 mph, typical speed
of the cars in the low 60's.

I have a highway like that. Mine has very wide paved shoulders
(probably ten feet), same posted speed limit, similar typical speeds,
but plenty of cars (lots of them large pickup trucks) doing at
least 70 mph.

For most of the route the shoulder is more than adequate, however, there
are a few places where it narrows to about a foot. In the place where I
took the lane, there are two travel lanes in my direction, the outside
lane is probably 10 feet wide (one of these days I'll remember to bring
a string with a weight to quickly measure it). For that section the
shoulder is about a foot and half wide, but narrows to a foot or less,
with a steel barrier to the right.

Yeah, mine has a couple of spots like that. One at the top of a long
hill (still climbing). The shoulder here, though, is probably still
at least two feet wide, and eminently practicable to ride on. I would
not take the lane here because 1) I don't need to, and 2) motorists
would have a conniption fit having to negotiate over or slow from
65-75 to 15 mph. This is where I once had an oversize truck pass me
with its load hanging over the fog line awfully close to my shoulder.

The other narrow shoulder is at the bottom of the long descent, and
here the shoulder practically disappears at a concrete abutment, and
it's really rough. So here I move out into the right lane (start
shoulder checking and try to get out there early so as not to surprise
anybody coming from behind), tuck down and haul ass across the short
bottleneck. I've had a few honks and plenty of straddle passes here,
but surprisingly little trouble (probably 'cause it's such a short,
fast section).

[...]

Here it's the law to stay right except when passing. Many cars will
move to the left lane to pass me even well out of the way on the wide
shoulder; but for whatever reasons, surprisingly many do not
(surprising because it would be so easy to buy the extra margin; they
*are* passing after all). I've had more than a couple of cars come
over the fog line to buzz me on the wide shoulder!

This stretch of highway used to be my regular route (the most direct
route, those very wide shoulders), but traffic is pretty heavy, so it
can get to be hectic just listening to them, the shoulder tends to
collect more puncture hazards than the quieter country roads, and it
can get boring. So I rarely ride that way now that I've found some
preferable alternatives.
Old June 24th 13, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

That's not what http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html suggests, for Oregon.

Many cars will
move to the left lane to pass me even well out of the way on the wide
shoulder; but for whatever reasons, surprisingly many do not
(surprising because it would be so easy to buy the extra margin; they
*are* passing after all). I've had more than a couple of cars come
over the fog line to buzz me on the wide shoulder!

Yeah, it is surprising. Two weeks ago the San Diego Century came
through this section, I happened to be doing my usual route and rode by
quite a few riders. The cars, as typical, mostly stayed in the outside
lane and the drivers preferred to use the horn rather than just move to
the open inner lane. I know that if I were driving on the highway and
had to deal with a lot of cyclists riding on the shoulder, I wouldn't be
passing them in the outside lane if there was a good alternative, which
there was.

This stretch of highway used to be my regular route (the most direct
route, those very wide shoulders), but traffic is pretty heavy, so it
can get to be hectic just listening to them, the shoulder tends to
collect more puncture hazards than the quieter country roads, and it
can get boring. So I rarely ride that way now that I've found some
preferable alternatives.

I like this route because it has a minimal number of stop lights,
and light traffic, at least on weekends.

--
Joe Riel
Old June 24th 13, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

true

but in these contexts give subjectivity a wide berth.
Old June 24th 13, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

in SD, try profiling drivers/routes for analysis.