Racing 29" unicycles at UNICON XII in Japan

Old November 6th 03, 05:39 PM
kfuchs

Default Racing 29" unicycles at UNICON XII in Japan

There is an IUF rules proposal to establish two races (100m and 1500m)
for 700c rim
(nominally 29") unicycles. How many of you would bring a 700c rim
unicycle and enter
either of these two races at UNICON XII in Japan? Please answer via
the poll.

How easy or hard is it to get a 700c rim unicycle in Japan, China,
Australia, New Zealand
or anywhere else?

This IUF rules proposal has no limit on crank arm length. Is this a
good or bad idea?

Should the 700c rim size (nominally 29") be considered as a new wheel
limit for all races?
This probably would happen at UNICON XIII at the earliest.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs

--
kfuchs - Coker.5
kfuchs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4304

Old November 6th 03, 11:56 PM
Checkernuts

I think the real impact of adding a new race class will take longer to
show it self than by next year in Japan. With larger wheel unicycles
like the 700c becoming more and more avalible arround the world I think
its the next logical thing to make races arround them. The 24" road
rider is a thing of the past and it no longer is what people who want to
race and ride fast are using.

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old November 7th 03, 01:07 AM
Tom Holub

In article clist.com,
Checkernuts . com wrote:
)
)I think the real impact of adding a new race class will take longer to
)show it self than by next year in Japan. With larger wheel unicycles
)like the 700c becoming more and more avalible arround the world I think
)its the next logical thing to make races arround them. The 24" road
)rider is a thing of the past and it no longer is what people who want to
)race and ride fast are using.

At NAUCC, a significant majority of the fast people riding track races
were "gym" unicyclists--the freestyle folks and the basketball folks.
You could argue, perhaps, that more Cokerheads would be in the races
if large wheels were allowed, but really I think events like the 10K
are more appropriate for big wheels anyway. I'd like to see more big
wheel road racing; track racing doesn't need big wheels.
-Tom

Old November 7th 03, 06:45 AM
GizmoDuck

kfuchs wrote:
*There is an IUF rules proposal to establish two races (100m and
1500m) for 700c rim
(nominally 29") unicycles. How many of you would bring a 700c rim
unicycle and enter
either of these two races at UNICON XII in Japan? Please answer via
the poll.

How easy or hard is it to get a 700c rim unicycle in Japan, China,
Australia, New Zealand
or anywhere else?

This IUF rules proposal has no limit on crank arm length. Is this a
good or bad idea?

Should the 700c rim size (nominally 29") be considered as a new wheel
limit for all races?
This probably would happen at UNICON XIII at the earliest.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs *

It's no problem getting a 29' unicycle in NZ now with www.unicycle.co.nz
up and running. And I think the same holds true in Australia.

Not speaking for other NZ riders but I would prefer to ride a 29'er or
Coker for track races- I find the 24' way too slow to be a practical
race machine. And a 29'er is a lot faster and more readily available
and easier to transport than a Coker.

I think for those travelling long distance it will be difficult to bring
more than 3 large unicycles. For me that will probably be Coker, 29'er
MUni and 24' MUNi

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

"I'll be there with bells on!"
Tony on the NZUni weekend

"right thats it im dressing up like a woman!"
James on the NZuni weekend

"If not for a weird inner ear condition that prevents me from crossing
the equator, I'd be there too."
JJuggle- the most original excuse not to attend the NZUni weekend

"At least if someone hurts themselves, Ken should be able to fix them up
with brain surgery on the spot if he brings a scalpel and some
bandages."
Rowan- on my surgical skills