online retailer - any recommendations?

Old October 13th 03, 10:56 AM
Angry

Default online retailer - any recommendations?

I'm looking for advice/recommendation on a UK online parts supplier that is
reliable and actually stocks the parts they list . . .

Bitch mode
(Unlike Edinburgh Bicycle Coop Cooperative
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk who let me order a TANGE PASSAGE HEADSET
STANDARD (£7.95) at the beginning of September and waited 5 weeks before
telling me they can't supply.

Today it is STILL listed on their website more than 5 weeks since I placed
my order.

After several emails assuring me that it is on back order, they finally tell
me that they can't supply it.

Why have you still got in listed in your online shop? I asked.

"It's posted online so that our customers are aware that it is still
available" they reply.

There were several other parts to this and previous orders which they were
not able to fulfill properly either. I was tolerant and patient but I've had
enough now and I'd advise against buying from this particular online shop)

"Europe's Premier Cycling Website The A to Z of everything for the bike.
Edinburgh Cycle Co-operative stock the most fantastic range of bike gear."

I don't think so. Goodbye Edinburgh Bicycle Online Team.

/Bitch mode

Old October 13th 03, 11:54 AM
MSeries

Angry wrote:
I'm looking for advice/recommendation on a UK online parts supplier
that is reliable and actually stocks the parts they list . . .

I have just used Chain Reaction Cycles for the first time and was very
impressed. The answered my email query the same day and I received my new BB
the day after I'd ordered it - post free too. Another favourite of mine at
the moment is Parker International.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

Old October 13th 03, 12:29 PM
Sam Salt

MSeries wrote:
Angry wrote:
I'm looking for advice/recommendation on a UK online parts supplier
that is reliable and actually stocks the parts they list . . .

I have just used Chain Reaction Cycles for the first time and was very
impressed. The answered my email query the same day and I received my
new BB the day after I'd ordered it - post free too. Another
favourite of mine at the moment is Parker International.

Always had good service from Settle Cycles,post free too.

http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

Sam Salt

---

Old October 13th 03, 01:09 PM
W K

"Sam Salt" wrote in message

Always had good service from Settle Cycles,post free too.

http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

I've used them a couple of times and they were very good.

A while ago though, when they had a useable web site.
WTBH is _that_ supposed to be. yuk.

Old October 13th 03, 01:12 PM
Pete Biggs

Angry wrote:
I'm looking for advice/recommendation on a UK online parts supplier
that is reliable and actually stocks the parts they list . . .

Even most of the generally reliable ones advertise stuff they haven't got
in stock. You always need to enquire first if the item is needed quickly.

www.wiggle.co.uk is one of the few companies that reliably indicates
online what can and can't be despatched immediately.

www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm are good and will not mess
you about if they say they can supply something.

~PB

Old October 13th 03, 01:43 PM
ouch

I'm looking for advice/recommendation on a UK online parts supplier that is
reliable and actually stocks the parts they list . . .

snip snip

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/ are good, especially if you want
off-road stuff. I used them to get chainsets + bottom bracket, tyres,
etc. If you call them they know their stuff too.

As someone has already mentioned, Chain Reaction are also good.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
I bought a frame + wheels from them earlier this year.

The others I use are mainly Wiggle and Cycle Express. Wiggle have lots
of stuff but their postage tends to be quite expensive if you don't
buy what you want in one go. Cycle Express have free delivery, though
they don't seem to list a lot of what I need. Maybe better for
Roadies, I don't know. They often have great deals though. Lights and
Camelbaks can be particularly cheap there.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/

I've used a few others but these are the best I think. Others tend to
be very slow, don't answer calls, don't reply to emails, etc.

An interesting one for me is Gearshift. They're a bit slow at delivery
+ bad at answering phones, etc but they stock some cool things.
They're friendly when they do answer the phone though. They also often
have good deals on various bits and bobs.
http://www.gearshift.co.uk/index.html