Robots ride bikes too

Old October 5th 05, 04:10 AM
Rich

Default Robots ride bikes too

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9594086/
Old October 5th 05, 05:15 AM
Fritz M

Rich wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9594086/

The bike is part of the robot. He trackstands and rides backwards, but
he cheats because he has internal gyros to keep stable.

RFM

Old October 5th 05, 05:16 AM
Rich

Fritz M wrote:

The bike is part of the robot. He trackstands and rides backwards, but
he cheats because he has internal gyros to keep stable.

So do we, they're just biological. Are we cheating too?
Old October 5th 05, 05:58 AM
Paul Hobson

Fritz M wrote:
Rich wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9594086/

The bike is part of the robot. He trackstands and rides backwards, but
he cheats because he has internal gyros to keep stable.

RFM

I wouldn't say he's cheating. Let's just say it takes about 2 weeks to
learn to ride a bike without training wheels trying two hours a day
(random numbers) It took me one week to learn to track stand longer than
2 minutes...I admit, I was really excited about the fixie and practice
about an hour per day. So that's 30 hours total.

How long would it take to learn all of the engineering disciplines that
go into making the robot? Then, how about designing it and building it
(an iterative process, I'm sure) until it works?

I'm definitely the cheater
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old October 5th 05, 06:09 AM
Paul Hobson

Paul Hobson wrote:
Fritz M wrote:

Rich wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9594086/

The bike is part of the robot. He trackstands and rides backwards, but
he cheats because he has internal gyros to keep stable.

RFM

I wouldn't say he's cheating. Let's just say it takes about 2 weeks to
learn to ride a bike without training wheels trying two hours a day
(random numbers) It took me one week to learn to track stand longer than
2 minutes...I admit, I was really excited about the fixie and practice
about an hour per day. So that's 30 hours total.

How long would it take to learn all of the engineering disciplines that
go into making the robot? Then, how about designing it and building it
(an iterative process, I'm sure) until it works?

I'm definitely the cheater
\\paul

errr...2x2x7 + 1x7 = 28+7 = *35* hours. geeezzzzzz

Old October 5th 05, 02:19 PM
Roger Zoul

Paul Hobson wrote:
:: Paul Hobson wrote:
::: Fritz M wrote:
:::
:::: Rich wrote:
::::
[...]
::
:: errr...2x2x7 + 1x7 = 28+7 = *35* hours. geeezzzzzz

Dude...ease up...we don't care if you can't do math!

Old October 5th 05, 04:59 PM
Collin O'Neill

Fritz M wrote:
Rich wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9594086/

The bike is part of the robot. He trackstands and rides backwards, but
he cheats because he has internal gyros to keep stable.

RFM

That's a bizarre attitude to take. A robot cheating? It's a machine.
The objective was to demonstrate balancing technology, not it's ability
to learn muscular coordination like a human.
Old October 5th 05, 06:56 PM
Fritz M

Collin O'Neill wrote:

That's a bizarre attitude to take. A robot cheating?

*sigh*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039503/

RFM

Old October 6th 05, 04:03 PM

Roger Zoul wrote:
Paul Hobson wrote:

::
:: errr...2x2x7 + 1x7 = 28+7 = *35* hours. geeezzzzzz

Dude...ease up...we don't care if you can't do math!

But Georgia Tech might! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski