Terminology

Old March 18th 05, 04:23 AM
Mike Kruger

Garry Jones wrote:

This particular recreational ride advertises itself as the

"largest
cycling event in the world". This is in regards to number of
participants (17,000) multiplied by distance (186 miles) of

event.
Does anyone know of a larger event anywhere in the world?

RAGBRAI has about 10,000 registered participants and is about
500 miles long most years. However, it's a week long.

There are all sorts of ways to be the largest, and there is
probably at least one measure by which this is the largest.

Old March 18th 05, 06:27 AM
Skyhooks

Garry Jones wrote:

I am translating the website of a large Swedish cycling event into
English.

In the event there are nine places where you can choose to dismount and
pick up food and drink. But these are more than simple "rest stops" as
you can also get a massage and they have professional mechanics and tons
of spare parts at these places. If you break down on the course one of
the official cars will transport you to the nearest one of these places
for service.

The current English word Swedes use to describe these places is "depot"
because it sounds like and is similar to the correct Swedish word
"depå". However in a search on the Internet I could not find any cycling
event from the English speaking world that calls these places "depots".

So feedback please, what should I call these places? Can I get away with
"depot"? Or is there a better word?

"Rest Stops"
"Service Stations"
"Feeds"
"Feeding Stations"
"Controls"
"Refreshment Stops"

Any other idea?

Controls is probably not right as no one is actually "checked" as in
Audax rides. These are places you can cycle into if you need
refreshments, service or a break, if not, you simply ride on by.

This particular recreational ride advertises itself as the "largest
cycling event in the world". This is in regards to number of
participants (17,000) multiplied by distance (186 miles) of event. Does
anyone know of a larger event anywhere in the world?

Thanks for any answers

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden

"Depot" is not an inappropriate word to use, neither would be "service
station." After all, major electronic/computer suppliers use the word
"depot" when their techs tell a consumer to return a product for
warranty service (they say, send it to the "depot").

I suggest "service centre/center" and indicate the level of service as
full, partial, or basic.

Personally, I like "full service depot," "service depot," or "pit stop."

Sky
h m a r d i s "a ht" u i u c "daught" e d u
Old March 20th 05, 10:33 PM
mark

The Triple Bypass and a few other long distance athletic events around here
use the term "aid station", although your depå seems to be much more
lavishly equipped. Pit stop to me is either an auto racing term or a stop to
use the toilet, usually while driving in a car.

As another poster pointed out, using the term "depå" in conjunction with
whatever English language word you choose would educate the English speakers
in the crowd and let them know what road signs to look for.
HTH,
--
mark