Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

Old September 6th 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 11:55:06 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story
short I will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires.
Wore out in less than 1200mi and then weakened which is just
unacceptable. So thumbs down from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must
be laid in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c
25mm tire at 110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop
every time the overlap comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded)
thorn-resistant tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it
over the real thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness
all around but now the thickness tapers off towards the
sidewalls. That's where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had
to re-order yesterday because those things are essentially
unfixable with those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not
matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate"
their vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant
(Silicone? Construction foam?) that makes the tires
bullet-proof. What material is it and how do they get it in
there thoroughly enough? Would it be good for a couple of
thousand miles?

Those who are serious about not getting flats make their own mr
tuffys from old tires

How do you do the overlap? It has to be cut because the radius
inside is a smidgen smaller than normal.

I was thinking about making my own Mr.Tuffy from a 2nd
thorn-resistant tube that is slit open lengthwise on the rim side.
I'll see when the new tube gets here next week. There should be
enough compliance in the rubber so there won;t be any wrinkles.
Hopefully. The othe issue is that the smallest these tubes come is
700 x 23/25mm and even 23mm is a bit large if there is a another
thick tube in there.

Fraid I either did not ask or don't remember. I remember the part
about removing the bead, but that's obvious. Mostly I remember the
conclusion, made simply with no effort to convince: "... and I don't
get flats".

Check it out. This guy rides 28s, and makes liners out of old 27s, so there is no cutting or overlapping necessary.
http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-4387.html

Good idea, though I wouldn't know anyone who still uses 27" wheels. Some
27" tires are still sold on EBay. But first I'll try the Mr.Tuffy which
should be here in a week. Until then the MTB will be pressed into
service despite an ailing BB. Carrying a spritz of turbine oil along in
case it starts screeching.

Mr tuffys have overlap problems and chafing problems and are not always wide enuf
Do the tire thing and don't worry about the 27-in-a-28, just take care to cut it so there is no gap left. The tire it is going in is not going to expand more than trivially, as it still has a bead. If you think there wull be some expansion then cut the liner you make 1/8" too long, butt the ends, and let there be a tiny bulge inward a few inches away, which will flatten if you are right.

Old September 6th 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-09-04 13:46, wrote:
Short run...the overlap is problemaric.

Have you tried?

Have -you- tried. I did. The edge of the Mr Tuffy chafed a hole in my tube. I think it it was a side edge, not an edge I created by cutting, but located in the overlap.

Old September 6th 17, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...-tires?ppp=ALL
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 6th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Cuttin the fat 27" tire tread seems like creating the perfect tube-pinch
opportunity.

What I'd with Mr.Tuffy liners on the road bike is to lay a sliver of old
tube between liner and tube. Should anything chafe it would be that
sacrificial part. On the MTB I have an regular tube sleeved over the
liner - No chafing, not even inside that sacrificial sleeve. I also cut
the corners round and sandpaper the edges at the ends.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 6th 17, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Amazing that there still is a market. Must be a lot of older guys like
us tooling around on their teenager bikes :-)

Old September 6th 17, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:
[...]

Do these things first and -then- talk about them. Til then you're just drinking yer own kool-aide
Old September 6th 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On the Mr Tuff

Using a tube is poss

The rig is 3 boards, outer 2 screwed tops higher...tube C. plus...aside middle boaRd also tube C . Use screws n clamp together...measure placement

A segment of rim is attached as a trough feeder.

Attach a guide...of ? .25×3...marking tube center

Inflate tube, clean CHOH, after palmolive
n carfully pull thru past guide marking tube center.

Deflate tube n try cutting down the middle with sharp stanley blade or use a rug knife from amazon also stanley

This was posted previously.

You should pull your finger out of your assholes n make one...chocho
Old September 6th 17, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:
[...]

I'll try the liner plus sacrificial tube chunk first because that has
proven to work on the MTB over two years. I was just concerned about
noticeable bump but according to another rider who wrote via email that
isn't a problem.

Old September 6th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Now that is the stupidest thing I've heard in...
I ride a bike with 27" wheels, a beautiful cherry Fuji S12-S, and lemme tell you, 27" tires are $8.99 on sale, including Conti Gatorskins at REI, and brand still-in-plastic 27" wheels with bearings and skewers are $20-$30.

Riding 27" wheels chops your roadbike tire and wheel expenses in half.

Slime liner sliced my inner tube Kooky45 UK 21 October 31st 07 10:24 PM
CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot Kenny Techniques 152 August 23rd 07 12:56 AM
FA: Slime Tube Protector - puncture prevention tyre liner x2 Timothy Baldwin UK 0 January 31st 05 09:08 PM
Mr. Tuffy bit my tube! Pat General 4 January 16th 05 06:56 PM
Head tube size: road bikes generically speaking Mark Hickey Techniques 0 March 21st 04 03:08 PM