Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

Old September 8th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:02:20 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 9:11:05 AM UTC-7, wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cont...obile&ie=UTF-8

This is Sport USA n ura cheating your ride time experience with 19th Century tires made for 19th C risers ...what name Conti gave the 19TH CENTURY 27" tire rubber for people riding to work is irrelevant to the USA SPORT RIDE who knows damn well Uran0t gonna get $30 rubber for $10.

Not gonna happen.

Already did, at my local REI no less. It is common to see better deals on 27s than on 700s.
They are on ebay for $18, and in three sizes; there is also 27x1-1/8
There are Conti Ultrasports here for $16

Reading this continuous whining abt great deals in cheap tires questions your judgement. Upper price range tires are inexpensive relative to our living standards. Upper range delivers performance, your range delivers A to B.

You and Joerg are malfunctioning this week

"This Week"?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 8th 17, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A. $10 tire n $30 tire with same in a 27 are 2. different tires
Old September 8th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-07 09:10, wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cont...obile&ie=UTF-8

This is Sport USA n ura cheating your ride time experience with 19th
Century tires made for 19th C risers ...what name Conti gave the 19TH
CENTURY 27" tire rubber for people riding to work is irrelevant to
the USA SPORT RIDE who knows damn well Uran0t gonna get $30 rubber
for $10.

Not gonna happen.

There are secondary factors.Tires are made in large batches. Buy a
older batch maybe from 1998 ... sold cheap creating the
warehouse...like that. Conti 27" could be Chinese Cheng Zooo...?

Reading this continuous whining abt great deals in cheap tires
questions your judgement. Upper price range tires are inexpensive
relative to our living standards.

They are not. I tried Gatorskins which are pricey, not just one but
four. Two premature sidewall failures 1000mi. That is not inexpensive.
Never buying those again.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 8th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 12:49:23 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-09-07 09:10, wrote:
[...]

Gatorskins are awesome you are using them wrong

Old September 8th 17, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-07 09:10, wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. They are inflated to 100-110psi. What could you possibly do
wrong with that?

It was similar with the pricier MTB tires. They failed in the side walls
a lot and not just on my bike. When I switched to Thai tires - problem
gone. The icing on the cake is that they cost less than half, same
mileage until tread is gone. Hence, clearly poor design on the pricey
tires. It also clearly proves that the notion that cheap tires are
always junk is baloney.

Old September 8th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-09-07 09:10, wrote:
[...]

a)Keep em off the rocks, and b)use em faster. I agree that conti gumwall tires deteriorate in the summer sun, and start fraying even you never nick them at all. If you do nick it a hole will develop there soon if you don't glue it shut (I use Permatex #2) and if you do glue it shut you're OK. If the fraying is from the sun, use superglue, and cover the whole area not just a single point.

Old September 8th 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-09-07 09:10, wrote:
[...]

But mostly, keep em off the curb, and in your case rocks, and use em up before they get a whole summer's worth of sun.
Old September 9th 17, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Read the Conti site n other forums.

road performance Conti sidewalls are made for max grip flexibility between rim n road.

Conti's TT touring line gradually reinforced sidewalls responding to con sumer input on toad/sidewall abrasion

The TT tends a cafe touring tire...a heavy gator

Prob a HD touring lineup

Deaf wring tire
Old September 9th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 2017-09-07 09:10, wrote:
[...]

a)Keep em off the rocks,

Tell that to the California DOT. The roads don't become clean just
because I happen to ride by on my road bike. They cumble because the
state frittered away the money in pension "deals" (many here call that
corruption). Continental even shows such crumbling roads in their
Gatorskin ads:

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...yres/gatorskin

Quote "the reptilian design sets the tone for eating up those miles!".
Yeah, right.

Some are gravel roads and nothing can be done about that either. You
either take them or you walk the bike lots of miles.

and b)use em faster. ...

You mean throw them out after 1500mi instead of 2500mi? Then they would
really become a non-starter.

... I agree that conti
gumwall tires deteriorate in the summer sun, and start fraying even
you never nick them at all. If you do nick it a hole will develop
there soon if you don't glue it shut (I use Permatex #2) and if you
do glue it shut you're OK. If the fraying is from the sun, use
superglue, and cover the whole area not just a single point.

You mean now I also have to carry a tube of Permatex? And then you guys
make fun of the rope I carry? I could also carry a propane-fired
vulcanizing plant on a trailer.

But mostly, keep em off the curb, and in your case rocks, and use em
up before they get a whole summer's worth of sun.

In the Sierra foothills the sun is bearing down on us eight months of
the year. If a tire can't stand that then it is, plain and simple, not a
good product.

Anyhow, I will find a better tire. The CST Conquistare is definitely not
a contender. It's only a matter of time, just like I found the good
tires for my MTB. Surprisningly those are the cheaper ones at the same
time. Expensive does not always mean better even if some here think that.

Old September 9th 17, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

There are NO ineffective Conti's.

The line needs careful selection. Isnot Conti's problem is yours n mine...

Ther'nothing extreme abt your local climate or roads

Slime liner sliced my inner tube Kooky45 UK 21 October 31st 07 10:24 PM
CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot Kenny Techniques 152 August 23rd 07 12:56 AM
FA: Slime Tube Protector - puncture prevention tyre liner x2 Timothy Baldwin UK 0 January 31st 05 09:08 PM
Mr. Tuffy bit my tube! Pat General 4 January 16th 05 06:56 PM
Head tube size: road bikes generically speaking Mark Hickey Techniques 0 March 21st 04 03:08 PM