Channel 9 news - bike recall

Old March 26th 04, 08:19 AM
DaveB

Default Channel 9 news - bike recall

Did anyone else see the Channel 9 news about the bike recall on brakes.
I only caught part of the story. Basically they said any new bike in
the past 4 years worth more than $2000 has a potential fault with the
brakes. They also said the fault could only be recognised by your LBS
(obviously some black art associated with this knowledge and probably a
secret handshake in there too).
Dave B.

Old March 26th 04, 01:02 PM
John Tserkezis

DaveB wrote:

Did anyone else see the Channel 9 news about the bike recall on brakes.
I only caught part of the story. Basically they said any new bike in
the past 4 years worth more than $2000 has a potential fault with the
brakes. They also said the fault could only be recognised by your LBS
(obviously some black art associated with this knowledge and probably a
secret handshake in there too).

"any new bike in the past 4 years worth more than $2000" is a VERY broad
statement, are you sure they said exactly that?

I just did a search on ninemsn, and couldn't find anything under their news
or ACA entries.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old March 26th 04, 01:16 PM
DRS

Nothing at http://www.recalls.gov.au/recalls_last30days.cfm either.

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious

Old March 26th 04, 09:04 PM
DaveB

John Tserkezis wrote:
DaveB wrote:

Did anyone else see the Channel 9 news about the bike recall on
brakes. I only caught part of the story. Basically they said any new
bike in the past 4 years worth more than $2000 has a potential fault
with the brakes. They also said the fault could only be recognised by
your LBS (obviously some black art associated with this knowledge and
probably a secret handshake in there too).

"any new bike in the past 4 years worth more than $2000" is a VERY broad
statement, are you sure they said exactly that?

I just did a search on ninemsn, and couldn't find anything under their
news or ACA entries.

Yeah they defintiely said that. It was a bit strange for a news article,
seemed more like a ACA or Today Tonight beatup. It was saying one of the
bolts holding the brakes on was susceptible to coming loose and hence a
brake failure. They had a couple of interviews with LBS owners. I
assumed that rather than a brand of bike the problem is with a brand of
brake. But like I said they were really thin on specifics, just saying
you should go to the LBS.
Dave B.

Old March 26th 04, 10:06 PM
Parbs

"DaveB" wrote in message

John Tserkezis wrote:
DaveB wrote:

[...]

Sounds like they've picked up on the quick release loosening under heavy braking loads when using disk brakes. Which is either a
beat-up or a serious issue being ignored by the manufacturers depending on who you talk to.

Rob

Old March 26th 04, 10:56 PM
Chucknitro

"Parbs" wrote in message
"DaveB" wrote in message

John Tserkezis wrote:
DaveB wrote:

[...]

Was not related to disc brakes. They said it was "the pivot nut" that holds
the brakes to the fork. They also seemed to imply it was related to carbon
forks (and hence the "over $2000" reference??). They showed the Shimano
Integra front brake. Not sure whether this was just an example....or it's
the groupset involved.

Typical Channel 9.....all it was missing was "if you've lost your front
brake and mangled yourself email us at ......".

David

Old March 26th 04, 11:20 PM
gravelmuncher

I,ve been told that a girl had an accident racing in Melbourne a fe
months back, and the cause had supposedly been tracked down to the bol
marrying the brakes to the fork being too small. According to my LBS
the bolt supplied by some bikes coming out of Taiwan is only long enoug
for the nut to pick up about 3 threads, and as any apprentice rocke
scientist should know, not good. But as my LBS explained, the proble
then falls into the hands of the mechanic putting the bike together. If
when installing the brake, he/she comes across the bolt in question...i
is their responsibility to reject the supplied bolt and re-supply on
that's a bit longer and adequelty accommodates the nut. I was told t
check mine, although I know that my mech's wouldn't have passed it on i
it wasn't right. I was told that they have replaced a few now

I didn't see the thing on the tele. The '..all bikes under $2000' sound
like the kind of cock-up that channel nine is famous for

~j

-

Old March 26th 04, 11:20 PM
gravelmuncher

Sorry..'..over $2000' - (lactic acid on brain perhaps)

~j~

Old March 27th 04, 12:00 AM
cfsmtb

Can't find any product recall anywhere, a small story in Saturdays Ag
was generally...vague. No mention of groupsets etc

Keep a eye on these sites; http://www.bikeoz.com/news.ph
http://www.recalls.gov.au

-