The Banana King and the Communist Cycling Group.

Old March 21st 20, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default The Banana King and the Communist Cycling Group.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 14:08:26 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Dr. Trump is now prescribing Chloroquine, so I'm going to drink some
prophylactic gin and tonics

Perhaps that might not be such a good idea. There's a fairly good
chance that Chloroquine might kill you:
http://archive.vn/zC30G
The drug touted by the U.S. President Donald Trump as a
possible line of treatment against the coronavirus comes
with severe warnings in China and can kill in dosages
as little as two grams.
China, where the deadly pathogen first emerged in December,
recommended the decades-old malaria drug chloroquine
to treat infected patients in guidelines issued in February
after seeing encouraging results in clinical trials.
But within days, it cautioned doctors and health officials
about the drug’s lethal side effects and rolled back
its usage. This came after local media reported that
a Wuhan Institute of Virology study found that the drug
can kill an adult just dosed at twice the daily amount
recommended for treatment, which is one gram.

and take comfort in knowing that Costco has toilet paper again.
-- Jay Beattie.

I made a brief visit to the Santa Cruz CA Costco store to pickup my
prescriptions. Costco had towel paper, but no toilet paper, alcohol,
sanitizing hand goo, thermometers, and face masks. All were promised
to be available real-soon-now. Incidentally, they were allowing about
30 people into the store at a time. My guess is about 200 people
inside the store, and 100 more in line. It took me about 30 minutes
to get in when the line only had 30 people.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 21st 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

When I was in Vietnam we were required, by regulation, to take a
chloroquine/Primaquine tablet once a week to prevent malaria. They
gave nearly everyone that took them an upset stomach and diarrhea that
lasted as much as 5 days, whereupon you had one day of comfort and
then it was time to take another pill :-(

and take comfort in knowing that Costco has toilet paper again.
-- Jay Beattie.

I made a brief visit to the Santa Cruz CA Costco store to pickup my
prescriptions. Costco had towel paper, but no toilet paper, alcohol,
sanitizing hand goo, thermometers, and face masks. All were promised
to be available real-soon-now. Incidentally, they were allowing about
30 people into the store at a time. My guess is about 200 people
inside the store, and 100 more in line. It took me about 30 minutes
to get in when the line only had 30 people.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 21st 20, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 09:28:18 +0700, John B.
wrote:

When I was in Vietnam we were required, by regulation, to take a
chloroquine/Primaquine tablet once a week to prevent malaria. They
gave nearly everyone that took them an upset stomach and diarrhea that
lasted as much as 5 days, whereupon you had one day of comfort and
then it was time to take another pill :-(

Oh swell. If a overdose doesn't kill me, taking the pill make me wish
I was dead. My guess(tm) is the dosage for the pill you were taking
was less than the proposed COVID-19 treatment.

According the article, it's a 7 day treatment so the side effects
should be fairly limited.
http://archive.vn/zC30G
It can now be given only to patients between 18 to 65 years
of age for a seven-day treatment course. Patients weighing
over 50 kilograms (110 pounds) can take 500mg twice a day
-- the usual dose -- while those weighing less will be
administered the drug just once a day after two days of use,
according to the latest guidelines.

So much for the miracle COVID-19 treatment.

Old March 21st 20, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

When I was in Vietnam we were required, by regulation, to take a
chloroquine/chloroquine tablet once a week to prevent malaria. They
gave nearly everyone that took them an upset stomach and diarrhea that
lasted as much as 5 days, whereupon you had one day of comfort and
then it was time to take another pill :-(

I really mixed up that post it should have read
"chloroquine/Primaquine" :-(

Oh swell. If a overdose doesn't kill me, taking the pill make me wish
I was dead. My guess(tm) is the dosage for the pill you were taking
was less than the proposed COVID-19 treatment.

According the article, it's a 7 day treatment so the side effects
should be fairly limited.
http://archive.vn/zC30G
It can now be given only to patients between 18 to 65 years
of age for a seven-day treatment course. Patients weighing
over 50 kilograms (110 pounds) can take 500mg twice a day
-- the usual dose -- while those weighing less will be
administered the drug just once a day after two days of use,
according to the latest guidelines.

So much for the miracle COVID-19 treatment.

The usual recommendation for chloroquine for the prevention of malaria
seems to be 500 mg weekly and for primaquine 45 mg weekly so I think
that is probably what the "government pills" were. But whatever they
were they effected just about everyone the same.

It effected me severely enough that I went to "sick call" to ask if
there was anything else I could take. The doctor advised me that there
was "no other approved medicine" and the NCO in charge of the clinic
took me aside on the way out and mentioned that the incident of
malaria in "this area is practically nil"... so I stopped taking the
pills.

Years later I worked at a remote site in West Irian and lo and behold
they had the same tablets, in what looked like the same "big brown
bottles" as we had in Vietnam and they still effected the people the
same :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 21st 20, 12:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I don't doubt you but I knew a man who lived with effects of
malaria all his life after serving in the New Guinea
jungles. Maybe Air Force MDs knew something you didn't. I'm
not saying they did but the long term effects of malaria are
not trivial especially to an organization paying for a
lifetime of 'free' medical care.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 21st 20, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Where in God's name did you get the idea that Chloroquine is particularly dangerous? Most drugs in overdoes quantities are dangerous but that particular drug is used every single day in rather large doses by arthritics, those with lupus and it is even used on infants with other types of corona virus infections.

Please don't parrot some moronic leftist crap since the suggested dosage for a two week course is virtually harmless unless someone has a rare and sensitive allergy to it.
Old March 21st 20, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The suggested dosage for the treatment Co-vid19 is 2/3rds that of the daily (forever) dose for Lupus. If you wish to be used like a tool just watch the Lame Stream Media.
Old March 21st 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Moronic leftist crap like the PDR? https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Chl...hate-3418.2640

As an aside, many drug treatments for rheumatoid arthritis are nasty and basically chemotherapy, e.g. methotrexate. Saying that some drug is used every day by "arthritics" doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy all over. If Chloroquine is safe and effective, that's great, and I look forward to the results of trials being conducted by NIH, CDC, Universities and other swamp and/or leftist institutions that are doing the actual science.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 21st 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

+1

The regimen is cloroquine with azithromycin, well studied
for malaria:

May be indicated for Chinese Wuhan virus. That will be
studied promptly for effectiveness because safety is not an
issue to regulators (safety being the first hurdle to approval).

That said, none of this will be instant. There will be small
studies, then larger ones with unknown significance for a
while yet.

Old March 21st 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Tell you what Jay, there is absolutely no need for you to use this medication if you become infected with the Wuhan Virus. You can make your own choices - you're a big boy. At least physically.