Everybody is Out

Old March 23rd 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Everybody is Out

It's the last beautiful day before we go into a streak of rain, and its nuts cutting through MUPs or parks. People seem to be outside a lot more during the COVID apocalypse -- so much so that the Governor has instructed people not to crowd into the parks.

I've got a headache and some SOB, but it could be allergies, and it didn't stop me from going out for a spin with a friend. Trek worked beautifully except for some GU goo on my left lever. First time in shorts and a jersey. The Campy transmission on my friend's 10 year old Pinarello is in a death spiral -- something about the RD is producing bad shifts. He believes that it will require an upgrade to 12 speed rather than some part for a 10sp Record derailleur. he gets pro deals, so it won't be that painful for him. Keep the economy strong!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/22/2020 7:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
It's the last beautiful day before we go into a streak of rain, and its nuts cutting through MUPs or parks. People seem to be outside a lot more during the COVID apocalypse -- so much so that the Governor has instructed people not to crowd into the parks.

I've got a headache and some SOB, but it could be allergies, and it didn't stop me from going out for a spin with a friend. Trek worked beautifully except for some GU goo on my left lever. First time in shorts and a jersey. The Campy transmission on my friend's 10 year old Pinarello is in a death spiral -- something about the RD is producing bad shifts. He believes that it will require an upgrade to 12 speed rather than some part for a 10sp Record derailleur. he gets pro deals, so it won't be that painful for him. Keep the economy strong!

-- Jay Beattie.

[raises hand] 1 vote for spending on new equipment at LBS.

That said, Campagnolo Ten Ergos are really straightforward
to service/rebuild/maintain. Eleven, like SRAM/Shimano is
'replace shifter body', very close to 'throw away shifter',
when worn or damaged.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 20, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

AMuzi wrote:
On 3/22/2020 7:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
It's the last beautiful day before we go into a streak of rain, and its
nuts cutting through MUPs or parks. People seem to be outside a lot
more during the COVID apocalypse -- so much so that the Governor has
instructed people not to crowd into the parks.

He should have been more precise from the beginning because the same
behavior happened last week in libtard springtime Europe.

I've got a headache and some SOB, but it could be allergies,

If SOB gets worse, it wasn't allergies.

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients
Forcibly restraining when patient could actually move himself and cough out
pink goo sounds terrifying. Malpractice lawsuits in 3, 2, 1 ... months?

and it
didn't stop me from going out for a spin with a friend.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, but we really hope you didn't infect
him -- his family could be a serious contender for your bicycle estate.

Trek worked
beautifully except for some GU goo on my left lever. First time in
shorts and a jersey. The Campy transmission on my friend's 10 year old
Pinarello is in a death spiral -- something about the RD is producing
bad shifts. He believes that it will require an upgrade to 12 speed
rather than some part for a 10sp Record derailleur. he gets pro deals,
so it won't be that painful for him. Keep the economy strong!

[raises hand] 1 vote for spending on new equipment at LBS.

Got ethanol? Who wants to walk into a place that does not have a
(burglar-proof) hand sanitizer dispenser at the door? LBSs should simply
promise a free roll of TP with every sale above $50!
Old March 23rd 20, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/22/2020 5:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
It's the last beautiful day before we go into a streak of rain, and its nuts cutting through MUPs or parks. People seem to be outside a lot more during the COVID apocalypse -- so much so that the Governor has instructed people not to crowd into the parks.

I've got a headache and some SOB, but it could be allergies, and it didn't stop me from going out for a spin with a friend. Trek worked beautifully except for some GU goo on my left lever. First time in shorts and a jersey. The Campy transmission on my friend's 10 year old Pinarello is in a death spiral -- something about the RD is producing bad shifts. He believes that it will require an upgrade to 12 speed rather than some part for a 10sp Record derailleur. he gets pro deals, so it won't be that painful for him. Keep the economy strong!

They said that it's okay to walk around or go for a bicycle ride. In
Marin County they beaches were packed on Saturday and now they are closed.

I think that I'd stay away from MUPs and stick to roads.
Old March 23rd 20, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 4:09:50 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

We maintained social distancing, particularly with my impaired breathing on hills. He an his family are already doomed because they borrowed my infected extension ladder. Another big beneficiary of the plague are the hardware stores. Quarantined people like to do home maintenance and repair.

Trek worked
beautifully except for some GU goo on my left lever. First time in
shorts and a jersey. The Campy transmission on my friend's 10 year old
Pinarello is in a death spiral -- something about the RD is producing
bad shifts. He believes that it will require an upgrade to 12 speed
rather than some part for a 10sp Record derailleur. he gets pro deals,
so it won't be that painful for him. Keep the economy strong!

[raises hand] 1 vote for spending on new equipment at LBS.

Got ethanol? Who wants to walk into a place that does not have a
(burglar-proof) hand sanitizer dispenser at the door? LBSs should simply
promise a free roll of TP with every sale above $50!

SMS should tap his bottle-holder sources in China and spec a hand-sanitizer mount. Huge opportunity there. Get some bogus Chinese hand-sanitizer to put in it -- or Purell. https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...ntizer-lawsuit.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 20, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Interesting argument but 'germs' (bacteria) are not viruses:

https://rare.us/rare-news/does-purell-kill-flu/

Purell has more money but isn't the worst of the lot:

Plaintiff should go for a jury in East St Louis IL if at all
possible.

Old March 23rd 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The last sentence in that link is classic:

It's so popular that some stores are even concerned that there could be
shortages of hand sanitizer.
Old March 23rd 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/23/2020 7:54 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

SMS should tap his bottle-holder sources in China and spec a hand-sanitizer mount.

Not from China, but this would work:
http://www.unimedcorp.com/SkinCare/vionexgelhandsanitizer.html

Replace the low-alcohol hand sanitizer with high-alcohol sanitizer.

Huge opportunity there. Get some bogus Chinese hand-sanitizer to put in it -- or Purell. https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...ntizer-lawsuit.

It's easy to make hand sanitizer. All you need is some isopropyl
alcohol, aloe vera, and some glycerin.

Remember to think outside the box when buying stuff like bleach and
alcohol. Stores may be out of bleach but there is no shortage of pool
chlorine which is the same thing, just more highly concentrated. I
bought some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol at an electronics store, and it's
better to use the higher concentration because you can use more aloe
vera and it's less watery.

Old March 23rd 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Everclear is sold up here (the real 190/195 proof version). I'm going to get some for hand sanitizer and internal use. Aloe is sold out, so I'll use some Jello as a carrier. Rub it on, take it in. Perfect.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 20, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

[...]

Take care of yourself, Jay. I've got allergies something fierce but no
"SOB" (had to look that one up - Shortness Of Breath).

I'm Zwifting indoors on my new Saris MP1 (I really don't get paid to
flog their stuff) and racking up the miles. But a little yardwork and
my sinuses swell up seemingly like balloons.

Watch for fever. The advice I've seen is that if you see COVID
symptoms, you should curtail vigorous exercise which might push it
deeper into your lungs, though I grant that's mostly speculative.

Mark J.