Who Killed ARBR?

Old December 18th 05, 09:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Who Killed ARBR?

wrote:
W H A T E V E R 8^) ... JimmyMac

[YAWN]

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 18th 05, 09:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Mr. Dolan,

You are intelligent enough to know that repeating a lie does not make
it true.

It's quite obvious who killed ARBR: You did, and you're quite proud of
it.

So be proud of the work you've done. And now please leave so perhaps
the group can heal itself. At this point, it may take years, or the
healing may never happen because people have found other forums. But
with you here, the group will never recover.

Here's your hat, what's your hurry?

Happy Holidays,

Ken

Old December 19th 05, 12:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

There you will see a great falling off that occurred last March after a
hectic winter of assault by a criminal vandal troll by the name of Ed Gin.

Wasn't he the guy in Wisconsin who killed people and made lampshades out of
their skin or something?

Old December 19th 05, 12:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rather than keeping on posting on-topic (as occurs in other Usenet
cycling groups)

I can't let this go by without comment. Unless you're speaking of a Usenet
in some parallel universe, this is contrary to my experience.

Just as in real life, there exists a certain proportion of people using
Usenet who, given a conversation on any topic under the sun, can change the
subject in a sentence or two into a completely unrelated political argument.
Why should Usenet be any different from the real world?

Old December 19th 05, 02:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Roger Houston wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

There you will see a great falling off that occurred last March after a
hectic winter of assault by a criminal vandal troll by the name of Ed Gin.

Wasn't he the guy in Wisconsin who killed people and made lampshades out of
their skin or something?

That was Ed Gein: http://www.prairieghosts.com/ed_gein.html.

This is Ed Gin with some escapees from Monkey Island:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/EdandMonkeys.jpg. The bicycle
appears to be Ed's Ross Festina modified with a larger rear wheel.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 19th 05, 02:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Roger Houston wrote:
"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rather than keeping on posting on-topic (as occurs in other Usenet
cycling groups)

I can't let this go by without comment. Unless you're speaking of a Usenet
in some parallel universe, this is contrary to my experience.

Take rec.bicycles.tech as an example. Although there have been many off
topic flame wars on the group, things settle down and people return to
discussing bicycles. In addition, the majority of the posts are cycling
related.

To the contrary, on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent we mostly had people who
criticized the trolls (a waste of effort) and then abandoned the forum
for one where the moderators would protect them from any unpleasantness
(trading freedom for security is how Mr. Franklin would put it).

Just as in real life, there exists a certain proportion of people using
Usenet who, given a conversation on any topic under the sun, can change the
subject in a sentence or two into a completely unrelated political argument.
Why should Usenet be any different from the real world?

Yes, but if others keep posting on-topic, the off-topic threads and
posts will become a bump in the road, not the mountain that towers over
all else.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 19th 05, 02:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:
This has got to be the strangest newsgroup in Usenet history. The group is
for all practical purposes now dead and yet some here do not seem to know
it. It did not die for no reason. So what killed it, or better, who killed
it?...

Hey Ed,

You are mentioned on the HRS blog:
http://highracers.blogspot.com/2005/12/angry-disenfranchised-fogs-unable-to.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 19th 05, 04:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Ed,

Nadir was the consummate choice of a word. It says it all. Tom
Sherman could take lessons from you. His most recent myopic posts have
degenerated into desultory, incoherent, discursive, ramblings that
betray his frustration, lack of insightfulness and his inability to
reason clearly.

Mr. McNamara can clearly come up with insults, but he can not come up
with PROOF of his ACCUSATIONS.

You are right concerning most if not all that you have said. Ed Gin,
and perhaps a few of his devoted disciples, has inflicted irreparable
damage here at ARBR....

The damage was done by certain people constantly INITIATING political
arguments, cramming their smug, self-righteous opinions down everyone
else throat. This occurred long before any Johnny NoCom posts showed
up.

It was not off topic discussion that killed ARBR. Those type of discussions
had been going on like forever and were doing no damage at all to the group.
The fact is that it was Mr. Sherman's good buddy Ed Gin (Johnny NoCom et al)
who killed this group. See the Google statistics for confirmation of this.

Mr. Sherman thought he could post his liberal nonsense on ARBR and not be
challenged. He was mainly a responder as was I. But a bit of off topic
discussion never hurt any group. In fact, it enlivened it. I will admit that
it did scare away the dead wood, mainly Florida retired types, but they
never added anything to the group. All they ever wanted to do was to say hi
and goodbye to one another.

Rather than keeping on posting on-topic (as occurs in other Usenet
cycling groups) many people obviously could not mentally filter out
what was of disinterest, and fled to moderated forums where net nannies
protect them from any unpleasantness or real controversy. If they
prefer "baby food" discussion, so be it.

It is the likes of your good buddy Ed Gin which makes moderated forums the
only way to go. BROL will be around long after ARBR has bit the dust because
of characters like your good buddy Ed Gin.

Many ARBR members had the intelligence to discern
what was worthwhile and the self-control to ignore the useless. Few
stepped up to the task to voice their discontent and many simply
abandoned ARBR in disgust. I may be one of the last ones to pull up
stakes. You and Tom Sherman will remain as the primary contributors
locked in off-topic cyber-skirmishes ad infinitium. At that juncture,
it would befitting for the last rights to be administered to ARBR.

What is left of the group would benefit if people like Mr. McNamara
took his personal hatred away, instead of venting on the group in the
form of ACCUSATIONS WITHOUT PROOF.

I recall clearly that it was your good buddy Ed Gin who was forever the
instigator of all unpleasantness here on ARBR.

I hold myself as a model of how we should behave on an unmoderated forum
such as ARBR. Mr. Sherman, other than being tedious and tiresome, is OK too.
He is not a criminal vandal troll like his good buddy Ed Gin.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 19th 05, 04:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Roger Houston" wrote in message

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rather than keeping on posting on-topic (as occurs in other Usenet
cycling groups)

I can't let this go by without comment. Unless you're speaking of a
Usenet in some parallel universe, this is contrary to my experience.

Just as in real life, there exists a certain proportion of people using
Usenet who, given a conversation on any topic under the sun, can change
the subject in a sentence or two into a completely unrelated political
argument. Why should Usenet be any different from the real world?

Mr. Houston is quite correct about this. It is inhuman to stay too much on
topic. Only a nerd and a jerk would stay on topic to the exclusion of
everything else. Such types must check their humanity in a cloak room when
they enter into a Usenet conversation on their computer.

In a HUMAN conversation one thing just naturally leads to another.To curb
this tendency is most stupid and only nerds and jerks do it. I think such
types lack a sense of security and are fearful of saying stupid things.
Hells Bells, I say stupid things all the time and I am none the worse for
wear. Try it some time. You will have some fun!

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 19th 05, 04:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Roger Houston wrote:
"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rather than keeping on posting on-topic (as occurs in other Usenet
cycling groups)

I can't let this go by without comment. Unless you're speaking of a
Usenet
in some parallel universe, this is contrary to my experience.

Take rec.bicycles.tech as an example. Although there have been many off
topic flame wars on the group, things settle down and people return to
discussing bicycles. In addition, the majority of the posts are cycling
related.

Did rec.bicycles.tech ever have a crimanal vandal troll like your good buddy
Ed Gin doing his mischief there?

To the contrary, on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent we mostly had people who
criticized the trolls (a waste of effort) and then abandoned the forum
for one where the moderators would protect them from any unpleasantness
(trading freedom for security is how Mr. Franklin would put it).

Just as in real life, there exists a certain proportion of people using
Usenet who, given a conversation on any topic under the sun, can change
the
subject in a sentence or two into a completely unrelated political
argument.
Why should Usenet be any different from the real world?

Yes, but if others keep posting on-topic, the off-topic threads and
posts will become a bump in the road, not the mountain that towers over
all else.

Mr. Sherman has been one of the most consistently interesting members of
ARBR. He is absolutely nothing like his good buddy Ed Gin, the arch criminal
vandal troll, and has nothing in common with him as far as his posting to
ARBR is concerned.

Mr. Sherman, like Mr. Dolan, does not restrict himself like a nerd and a
jerk to staying on topic. When the occasion calls for it, he goes where the
conversation leads. That is because he has imagination and intelligence. He
and I are the best of enemies. Neither one of us have ever been anything but
a very positive addition to ARBR. Would that there were more like us on
ARBR.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota