26" City Bike Tires/Michelin Pilot City Opinions

Old August 9th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Light

Default 26" City Bike Tires/Michelin Pilot City Opinions

I've got a TREK city bike with 26 1.95 Tioga City Slicker tires on it.
Looking at other tires. Anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot
City tires? They come in 26 1.75 that I would use.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old August 9th 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ed Light wrote:

I've got a TREK city bike with 26 1.95 Tioga City Slicker tires on it.
Looking at other tires. Anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot
City tires? They come in 26 1.75 that I would use.

Do you have an issue with the City Slicker? If so, the nature of your
complaint would help guide a recommendation.

Chalo

Old August 9th 09, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Light

Chalo wrote:

Do you have an issue with the City Slicker? If so, the nature of your
complaint would help guide a recommendation.

It's not puncture resistant. Though I'm using Tuffy's. Plus after awhile
the sidewall goes bad. Though maybe because I ran them at low pressures
for awhile.

Old August 9th 09, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ed Light wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Do you have an issue with the City Slicker? *If so, the nature of your
complaint would help guide a recommendation.

It's not puncture resistant. Though I'm using Tuffy's.

Mr. Tuffys are often more trouble than they are worth. I suppose it
depends on what kinds of things puncture your tires. But they make
the tire ride badly, and they can actually cause punctures by chafing
the tube at the ends.

Plus after awhile the sidewall goes bad. Though maybe because I ran
them at low pressures for awhile.

That's not it; City Slickers just have thin sidewalls that are
vulnerable to sun exposure and scuffing. That helps their ride
quality but detracts from their longevity, especially for bikes that
are stored outside or in direct sunlight.

A seriously puncture-resistant tire with a nice ride is the Schwalbe
Marathon Plus. It is rather expensive and heavy.

The Continental Contact carries a one year warranty against
punctures.

Whether features like Kevlar belts will keep you from getting flats is
a matter of what is flattening them. Small thorns, wires, and slivers
have a way of insinuating themselves through the weave of any woven
barrier. The sharper the penetrating object, the less a Mr. Tuffy can
put up any resistance.

Chalo

Old August 9th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 9, 2:01*am, Chalo wrote:
Ed Light wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]

The Marathon and Contact both ride like ****. If your part of the
world has goatheads, or you're already riding a rattle canned omafiets
from 1967, just the thing!

People can argue all day about frame material, but ultimately it
mainly affects how goofy the bike looks, and the amusing quality of
the sympathetic sound when you hit a pothole. However, you can make a
bike miserable on the cheap with beaded rubber hosepipes. Although I
like some Michelin tires, the Pilot City's heft and rigidity make them
fit that category to a tee.

Old August 9th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daddy[_2_]

Mr. Tuffys are often more trouble than they are worth. I suppose it
depends on what kinds of things puncture your tires. But they make the
tire ride badly, and they can actually cause punctures by chafing the
tube at the ends.

on one of my bikes, I actually got 1,500 miles on a set of tubes using
mr. tuffy's. Got 500 miles currently with my Titus Switchblade, using
Panaracer Firepro XC's as well. mr. tuffy's works just fine if used
right. And that's riding here in the desert of Arizona....
Old August 9th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Light

landotter wrote:

Although I
like some Michelin tires, the Pilot City's heft and rigidity make them
fit that category to a tee.

Would you include the City Slickers in that category?

What would you recommend for 26 1.75?

Old August 9th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Ed Light wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Do you have an issue with the City Slicker? *If so, the nature of your
complaint would help guide a recommendation.

It's not puncture resistant. Though I'm using Tuffy's.

A seriously puncture-resistant tire with a nice ride is the Schwalbe
Marathon Plus. *It is rather expensive and heavy.

The Continental Contact carries a one year warranty against
punctures.

The Marathon and Contact both ride like ****. If your part of the
world has goatheads, or you're already riding a rattle canned omafiets
from 1967, just the thing!

Marathon Plus doesn't ride like Pasela; it only has 1/4" of plush
outside-the-casing gummy belt. But it's plush if you don't ask it to
deal with bumps. It sorta reminds me of my high school friends'
mid-'80s Camaros and Trans Ams.

Anyway, if the problem to be solved is punctures, there is no
similarly armored tire with as good a ride as the Marathon Plus.

Chalo
Old August 9th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 9, 4:28*pm, Chalo wrote:
landotter wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Ed Light wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Do you have an issue with the City Slicker? *If so, the nature of your
complaint would help guide a recommendation.

It's not puncture resistant. Though I'm using Tuffy's.

A seriously puncture-resistant tire with a nice ride is the Schwalbe
Marathon Plus. *It is rather expensive and heavy.

The Continental Contact carries a one year warranty against
punctures.

The Marathon and Contact both ride like ****. If your part of the
world has goatheads, or you're already riding a rattle canned omafiets
from 1967, just the thing!

Marathon Plus doesn't ride like Pasela; it only has 1/4" of plush
outside-the-casing gummy belt. *But it's plush if you don't ask it to
deal with bumps. *It sorta reminds me of my high school friends'
mid-'80s Camaros and Trans Ams.

You really think it goes with feathered hair and a pack of Merits?

Anyway, if the problem to be solved is punctures, there is no
similarly armored tire with as good a ride as the Marathon Plus.

The OP hasn't kvetched about punctures, but maybe there's a problem. A
lighter solution would be a T-Serv. Also Urban Maxes are on sale:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_23014

If the OP is on a budget, I've never had any issues with Performance
house brand city tires. I believe the Gotham, which would be
analagous to the Marathon, is even a Panaracer in drag. Panaracer
whores for anyone, apparently.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_23014

FWIW, I buy a lot of stuff at my LBS, but tires I don't. $25 bux for a
set on sale vs having to order something I like from them and paying
4x is a little too much support of local business.

Old August 10th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Light

Chalo, I'm planning to ride alot. How many miles do you suppose a set of
Marathon Plus will go? They are quite expensive, but reviews are great.

Anyone, how far do you suppose the Michelin Pilots and Tioga City
Slickers will go?

Landotter, The Forte Gotham's got nice reviews, except one person got
punctures. How far do you think those will go?