how do i mount brakes without welding?

Old April 5th 05, 11:49 AM
saam

Default how do i mount brakes without welding?

i would really need a brake for my "muni" (my trials that i use for
muniing)
i have no access to a welder and there is nothing to mount the brakes to
already (i will worry where to attach the brake lever later )
and do i need special brakes or could a purchase one from any bike
shop?

please any info will do

P.S i have a 2.5" wheel

--
saam - One Wheel Short of a Bike

Life is only as fun as you make it

84/603 UO NKS rating

(add me)
saam's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168

Old April 5th 05, 12:05 PM
joemarshall

You either use some dodgy thing that clips on with hose clips, or you
find a bike shop that will weld brake mounts on. A lot of them will and
it doesn't cost insane money.

The kind of brakes most people get are Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes.
They cost quite a lot. If you're getting brake mounts welded on, you
need special Magura specific brake mounts welding on to put these on.
Some bike shops will be able to get these, usually ones that deal with
trials bikes.

You can also use v-brakes, like on a normal bike. These need normal
brake mounts welding on, loads of bike shops will be able to organise
this. V-brakes start pretty cheap. There are supposedly some
disadvantages compared to maguras, although I don't know how many people
have actually tested V-Brakes to see what the disadvantages are in
practice.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old April 5th 05, 02:55 PM
nickjb

Vs or Hydros are the best but if you don't need huge amounts of braking
then you could get away with a caliper brake.

Something like this:
http://www.brokermen.com.ar/rimbrake8.jpg

The cable might rub your leg a bit. You will need a pretty big one to
fit around a unicycle wheel, a BMX one should do it.

To fit it all you need is a hole drilled in the middle of the crown (at
the bottom of the tube the seatpost fits in)

HTH
Nick

--
nickjb - I've lost a wheel (apparently)
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

Old April 5th 05, 03:53 PM
joemarshall

I don't think it's power that is the problem as pretty much any brake
can lock up a wheel. The modulation on maguras is very good which I
think is one of the main things people say is better about them.

It'd be interesting to see how well a bmx caliper brake worked, it'd be
a very neat solution without the hassles of hydraulic brakes.

I've heard from several people that brakes other than maguras are bad
because you could knock them into the wheel, but not heard this from
anyone who's actually used anything other than maguras?

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old April 5th 05, 04:03 PM
nickjb

I had centre pulls on my 26". These never got knocked but the tyre
clearance was pretty poor. Only good for a 2". I also had some cable
V's on my 24x3. These would knock into the rim occasionally but it
didn't affect riding noticably.

Old April 5th 05, 04:42 PM
leeman180

If you want to do a V-brake, then you can use this:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566
And Im pretty sure you dont need to weld it on. Just buy that plate, the
v-brake, and put the v-brake on those posts, and then figure out a way
to attach that to the frame right above the tire so the brake pads are
touching the rim. Make sure it is firmly attached to the frame.

At least i think thats how its done, I have never done it or heard of
anyone doing it. So anyone, please correct me if im wrong.

-Lee

--
leeman180 - i should be out riding
leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441

Old April 5th 05, 04:59 PM
leeman180

Ahh yes, it says that -"Mount your V-brake without welding or drilling
your frame!"- and -"Mounts easily with two two standard
industrial-strength automobile hose clamps, included."- to confirm what
I said.

So this seems like the easiest and cheapest way to get brakes on your
unicycle.

-Lee

--
leeman180 - i should be out riding
leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441

V Brakes. Front/Rear? (Avid Ti) Pizza Man Techniques 2 November 22nd 04 05:46 AM
First mount learned helps\hinders development of other skills? roberts Unicycling 40 August 18th 04 06:22 PM
Help with Skill Level Modified Mount Rules TonyMelton Unicycling 3 July 22nd 04 11:01 PM
brakes Peter Cremasco Australia 32 February 27th 04 01:10 AM
Centerpull brakes Gary Young Techniques 77 November 20th 03 11:49 AM