11-34 cassette on road bike with Dura Ace triple?

Old June 11th 04, 12:55 AM
NeauDL

Default 11-34 cassette on road bike with Dura Ace triple?

Does anyone have experience with this combination?

I've used 9-speed 12-34 and 11-34 cassettes with an Ultegra triple front
(30-42-52) on two different road bikes without any issues, but when I switched
to an XTR triple (26-36-48) with the same front chainline (47.5 mm) in order to
get a lower low gear, I found that pushing hard on the pedals pulls the chain
off the middle, 36-tooth chainring when I'm using either of the three largest
rear cogs (26, 30 or 34 tooth). With a smaller, 12-27 cassette, I pull the
chain off the middle chainring using only the 27-tooth cog (but that is still
not acceptable). Bike has standard 130 mm rear spacing. Of course I have a
long cage mountain derailleur and appropriate length chain, and everything is
in fact new.

Has anyone tried using one of these mountain cassettes with the Dura Ace
triple, which has a middle chainring halfway in size between the XTR and the
Ultegra? Or does anyone have experience with similar equipment?

L. D. Lide
Old June 11th 04, 04:30 AM
mattp71

Well, anytime I have went bigger in the rear than a 12-25, I've had t
switch my rear derailler from ultegra road or dura ace road to x
mountain or xtr mountain

Once I changed my rear derailler, all my problems with chain skimpin
etc, went away

Good luck. I don't have the exact reason why your chain changes unde
pressure. That's a question for the zinn man

-

Old June 11th 04, 10:44 PM
Dennis Ferguson

NeauDL wrote:
Has anyone tried using one of these mountain cassettes with the Dura Ace
triple, which has a middle chainring halfway in size between the XTR and the
Ultegra? Or does anyone have experience with similar equipment?

All I know is that my local bike shop usually has a Calfee in their
showroom which is equipped like this (12-34(?) XTR cassette and
derailleur in the back, DuraAce triple in front). I think it belongs to
the shop's owner. I test-rode the bike for about 45 minutes a year or so
ago. It worked fine as far as I could tell.

Dennis Ferguson
Old June 12th 04, 12:28 AM
Dave Thompson

"Dennis Ferguson" wrote in message
NeauDL wrote:
Has anyone tried using one of these mountain cassettes with the Dura Ace
triple, which has a middle chainring halfway in size between the XTR and

the
Ultegra? Or does anyone have experience with similar equipment?

All I know is that my local bike shop usually has a Calfee in their
showroom which is equipped like this (12-34(?) XTR cassette and
derailleur in the back, DuraAce triple in front). I think it belongs to
the shop's owner. I test-rode the bike for about 45 minutes a year or so
ago. It worked fine as far as I could tell.

Dennis Ferguson

I have two bikes, both with Dura Ace triple components, and using an XT rear
derailleurs and cassettes. Both work excellent with that set-up and allows
my old legs to pull me up the many mountains I ride in.

Old June 12th 04, 11:44 PM
Shayana Kadidal

Hmm. Sheldon Brown sayeth that a 30 tooth cog will work in the rear
(barely) even under a regular Ultegra derailleur (I was asking about a
compact double crankset setup). Other bike shop folk have told me that
anything above a 28 will create a horrible clunking noise as the upper
DR pulley is too close to the cog.

I am trying to build out an Alpe D'Huez-able bike with a compact 50x34
in front and am curious to see what other people have done for similar
projects -- does everyone use mountain bike rear derailleurs?--Shayana
Kadidal

Well, anytime I have went bigger in the rear than a 12-25, I've had to
switch my rear derailler from ultegra road or dura ace road to xt
mountain or xtr mountain.

Once I changed my rear derailler, all my problems with chain skimping
etc, went away.

Old June 13th 04, 02:19 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dershanek- I am trying to build out an Alpe D'Huez-able bike with a compact
50x34
in front and am curious to see what other people have done for similar
projects -- does everyone use mountain bike rear derailleurs? BRBR

Either a MTB rear der or even a DA triple rear der. I just put on a 11-32 with
a 53/39, DA triple rear der, works just fine.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM