Crap brakes in the wet

Old May 22nd 11, 01:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

Default Crap brakes in the wet

On 2011-05-20, Travis (aka Bruce)
So it's reasonable to expect that your brakes won't work as well when
the rim has been lubricated with water compared to dry conditions, but
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a "wet weather" brake
pad which one could swap in over the winter months? Something made
from a special material perhaps which grips a wet rim a bit better.

My road bike's brakes aren't fantastic when it is wet, but the
mountain bike's breaks are simply atrocious. It's your basic
cantilever design and they're horrible.

Is it possible that it's a cheap supermarket class mountain bike with
steel wheels?

Steel wheels simply will not ever stop in the rain. You can make a
perpetual motion machine out of them.

--
TimC
Remember, we're using the Internet, not Grammar! --Kibo
Old May 22nd 11, 01:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2011-05-21, John Henderson (aka Bruce)
Travis wrote:

So it's reasonable to expect that your brakes won't work as well when
the rim has been lubricated with water compared to dry conditions, but
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a "wet weather" brake
pad which one could swap in over the winter months? Something made
from a special material perhaps which grips a wet rim a bit better.

Kool-Stop makes a special pad compound for wet weather - the
Kool-Stop Salmon range. Sheldon Brown was a vocal advocate, and
for dry weather use as well:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

I've used them for years on our rim-brake bikes, and can vouch
for their wet performance. If they don't grip, nothing will.

I fit them on my then-newish roadbike after hearing good reports out
of them. A few days into this, a taxi did a U-turn in front of me. I
grabbed a load of front brake, and almost did a head over handlebars.
The old brakes certainly didn't have that much grip in the dry!

(new bikes and brakes are always good. I was grabbing too much brake
yesterday just coming to a gentle stop at traffic lights on my new
roady)

At least at one stage, Kool-Stop also made a red pad. These are
not the same compound. Simply put, the Salmon pads contain the
magic ingredient: rust.

They can be found occasionally in Australian LBSs.

But as always, far more effective, predictable, cheaper and quicker to
buy them from overseas. Go figure.

--
TimC
Yip yip yip yip yap yap yip *BANG* --- NO TERRIER
Old May 22nd 11, 04:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 21/05/2011 3:39 PM, Gettamulla Tupya wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2011 22:39:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

So it's reasonable to expect that your brakes won't work as well when
the rim has been lubricated with water compared to dry conditions, but
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a "wet weather" brake
pad which one could swap in over the winter months? Something made
from a special material perhaps which grips a wet rim a bit better.

Besser block and some rope...

yeah, its coming to that, you can't get good leather soles on boots
nowadays.
Old May 22nd 11, 04:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

TimC wrote:

Is it possible that it's a cheap supermarket class mountain bike with
steel wheels?

Steel wheels simply will not ever stop in the rain.

That is simply not true. There is a small window of opportunity to stop
between the rims going red hot and flash boiling dry the water and the
tyres and tubes exploding from heat fatigue.

You can make a
perpetual motion machine out of them.

Only on a loaded touring bike coming down from Dingo Gate to Moonan
Flat. Thank goodness for shoe leather.

Old May 22nd 11, 06:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

On May 22, 8:51*am, TimC -spam-accepted-
On 2011-05-20, Travis (aka Bruce)
* was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

So it's reasonable to expect that your brakes won't work as well when
the rim has been lubricated with water compared to dry conditions, but
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a "wet weather" brake
pad which one could swap in over the winter months? Something made
from a special material perhaps which grips a wet rim a bit better.

My road bike's brakes aren't fantastic when it is wet, but the
mountain bike's breaks are simply atrocious. It's your basic
cantilever design and they're horrible.

Is it possible that it's a cheap supermarket class mountain bike with
steel wheels?

Steel wheels simply will not ever stop in the rain. *You can make a
perpetual motion machine out of them.

--
TimC
Remember, we're using the Internet, not Grammar! --Kibo

They are alloy wheels at least. I suspect the pads just haven't aged
well. I'm seeing if I can find compatible pads on eBay or somewhere.

Travis

Numb feet - crap shoes or crap pedals? Jules Australia 8 March 20th 07 10:04 AM
crap Tamyka Bell Australia 14 April 7th 05 01:30 PM
aw, crap Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 38 August 17th 04 04:31 PM
How crap are these? Martin Wilson UK 23 July 5th 04 01:09 PM
this AE crap Andy G Australia 24 August 2nd 03 12:39 AM