A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old February 13th 14, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,553
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 23:50:18 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Ever hear of an all terrain vehicle? the U.S. Army spent a ton of

money to develop one. You know, a wheeled vehicle that will go almost
anywhere.

So obviously your assertion that wheels are for roads is just another

example of how stupid you really are.

So now you want all terrain vehicles on hiking trails? You are way beyond stupid; you are criminally stupid.

Ooh, you are so nimble. You say that wheels got to go on a road. I
tell you that the Government spent a lot of money to build a wheeled
vehicle that doesn't need a road and quick as a flash you say I want
all terrain vehicles on hiking trails.

But you seem to ignore the fact that your statement that wheels were
for streets is simply a pile of rhetorical bull**** and either you are
an outright liar, or simply so stupid that you can't realize what a
silly statement you made.

So tell us Doodles, are you a fool or a liar?


Now go **** yourself and quit bothering the honorable members of this noble newsgroup.

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!


But I am! I'm pointing out that your "content" is a lie.... Isn't that
enough content for you?

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


--
Cheers,

John B.
Ads
  #82  
Old February 13th 14, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,553
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:28:17 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Trends come and go the same way fads do. What is going to kill
mountain biking are all the deaths and injuries. Mountain biking is not
considered an extreme sport, yet it racks up deaths and injuries just like most
extreme sports. The vast majority of people in this world do not want to risk
life and limb for a mere recreation. Only an extremely stupid minority of fools
want to do that.


Well, IF there were all these deaths and injuries then you might have a point. However, the statistics don't back you up ... Mountainbiking is relatively safe ... a rate of 1.54 per 1,000 exposures is less than soccer, rugby, american football, road cycling etc etc etc. (http://emj.bmj.com/content/early/201...9.086991.full).


So, once again, you're incorrect; mountainbiking produces injury and death statistics nowhere near 'extreme' sports.


You are not only wrong, but wrongheaded. I will continue to report stories from the field of what is actually happening on the trails and you can continue to puzzle over numbers (statistics) until kingdom come and we shall see who is the more persuasive.


What's this Dooley? "Report stories"? You mean that you are going to
tell some more lies like the wheels are for roads story.

And here I thought saints told the truth.

Saint Dolan, patron of liars.
--
Cheers,

John B.
  #83  
Old February 13th 14, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 531
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 23:50:18 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Ever hear of an all terrain vehicle? the U.S. Army spent a ton of

money to develop one. You know, a wheeled vehicle that will go almost
anywhere.

So obviously your assertion that wheels are for roads is just another

example of how stupid you really are.

So now you want all terrain vehicles on hiking trails? You are way beyond stupid; you are criminally stupid.

Ooh, you are so nimble. You say that wheels got to go on a road. I

tell you that the Government spent a lot of money to build a wheeled
vehicle that doesn't need a road and quick as a flash you say I want
all terrain vehicles on hiking trails.

You have got to be nimble to deal with Assholes like yourself. If I took my lead from you, we would end up arguing about who knows what. Try to stay focused on what is at issue here – bicycles on trails.

But you seem to ignore the fact that your statement that wheels were

for streets is simply a pile of rhetorical bull**** and either you are
an outright liar, or simply so stupid that you can't realize what a
silly statement you made.

It is not a silly statement when it is related to the issue under discussion – bicycles on trails. It puts things into perspective. All terrain vehicles fall into the same class as motorcycles which has already been dealt with multiple times on another thread on this newsgroup of which you are well aware. Try to stay current if that is possible.
[...]

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!


But I am! I'm pointing out that your "content" is a lie.... Isn't that

enough content for you?

No, it is NOT content because my signature is NOT content It is simply a way of giving you and your ilk the finger. And I am sure succeeding - aren't I!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great



  #84  
Old February 13th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 531
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:28:17 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:
[...]

You are not only wrong, but wrongheaded. I will continue to report stories from the field of what is actually happening on the trails and you can continue to puzzle over numbers (statistics) until kingdom come and we shall see who is the more persuasive.

What's this Dooley? "Report stories"? You mean that you are going to

tell some more lies like the wheels are for roads story.

The stories reported are from newspapers, magazines and other newsgroups with the links supplied. How does it get any better than that? Or is everyone in the world lying except mountain bikers?

Blackblade is relying on statistics which are always flawed. Such numbers never measure with any precision what they say they are measuring. Yes, they are measuring “something”, but exactly what is difficult to say. Polls are equally unreliable. Better to get actual reports from the field on what is happening. At least that way you will know something worth knowing.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

  #85  
Old February 14th 14, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,553
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:54:34 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 23:50:18 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Ever hear of an all terrain vehicle? the U.S. Army spent a ton of

money to develop one. You know, a wheeled vehicle that will go almost
anywhere.

So obviously your assertion that wheels are for roads is just another

example of how stupid you really are.

So now you want all terrain vehicles on hiking trails? You are way beyond stupid; you are criminally stupid.

Ooh, you are so nimble. You say that wheels got to go on a road. I

tell you that the Government spent a lot of money to build a wheeled
vehicle that doesn't need a road and quick as a flash you say I want
all terrain vehicles on hiking trails.

You have got to be nimble to deal with Assholes like yourself. If I took my lead from you, we would end up arguing about who knows what. Try to stay focused on what is at issue here – bicycles on trails.

But you seem to ignore the fact that your statement that wheels were

for streets is simply a pile of rhetorical bull**** and either you are
an outright liar, or simply so stupid that you can't realize what a
silly statement you made.

It is not a silly statement when it is related to the issue under discussion – bicycles on trails. It puts things into perspective. All terrain vehicles fall into the same class as motorcycles which has already been dealt with multiple times on another thread on this newsgroup of which you are well aware. Try to stay current if that is possible.
[...]


Ah, but you didn't say that did you. You said wheels for streets.

What is really silly is your rapid change of subject. First you make a
positive statement; next someone demonstrates that your statement is
incorrect; and presto-chango you sashay obliquely off to a new
subject.

What is becoming extremely evident is that you really don't know what
you are talking about and are simply repeating stock phrases that
you've heard somewhere. Your "What's matter, can't walk" is a fine
example. Nearly every individual is capable of walking from about the
age of eight months.... but what this has to do with mountain bicycles
is a bit nebulas.

After all, a simple comparison of the general population, above the
age of eight months, and the users of public trails demonstrates the
fact that the vast majority of the walking population does not go
blundering about in the wilderness.

What's next? A discussion of how many Angels can dance on the head of
a needle and a comparison of that number with the number of spokes in
the rear wheel of a mountain bike and thus proving emphatically that
mountain bikes should not be ridden on public trails.

Doodles you are impressive. Impressively stupid.

--
Cheers,

John B.
  #86  
Old February 14th 14, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 531
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:54:34 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:
[...]

It is not a silly statement when it is related to the issue under discussion – bicycles on trails. It puts things into perspective. All terrain vehicles fall into the same class as motorcycles which has already been dealt with multiple times on another thread on this newsgroup of which you are well aware. Try to stay current if that is possible.
[...]

Ah, but you didn't say that did you. You said wheels for streets.


What is really silly is your rapid change of subject. First you make a

positive statement; next someone demonstrates that your statement is
incorrect; and presto-chango you sashay obliquely off to a new
subject.

The only one here who is attempting to get off the subject is yourself. You simply do not know how to post content. Too bad for you since I am not going to cooperate with your silliness.

What is becoming extremely evident is that you really don't know what

you are talking about and are simply repeating stock phrases that
you've heard somewhere. Your "What's matter, can't walk" is a fine
example. Nearly every individual is capable of walking from about the
age of eight months.... but what this has to do with mountain bicycles
is a bit nebulas.

It has to do with what trails are for ... something that is obvious to all but brain blighted mountain bikers.

After all, a simple comparison of the general population, above the

age of eight months, and the users of public trails demonstrates the
fact that the vast majority of the walking population does not go
blundering about in the wilderness.

But if they do, they need to walk on the trails, not ride bikes on the trails.

What's next? A discussion of how many Angels can dance on the head of

a needle and a comparison of that number with the number of spokes in
the rear wheel of a mountain bike and thus proving emphatically that
mountain bikes should not be ridden on public trails.

Never fear, I know how to stay focused and will never let simpletons like you distract me from that focus. If and when I get off the subject, it will be because I choose to get off the subject, and not because you choose to get off the subject.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #87  
Old February 14th 14, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 531
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message ...

Blackblade considered Tue, 11 Feb 2014
01:14:22 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

Trends come and go the same way fads do. What is going to kill
mountain biking are all the deaths and injuries. Mountain biking is not
considered an extreme sport, yet it racks up deaths and injuries just like most
extreme sports. The vast majority of people in this world do not want to risk
life and limb for a mere recreation. Only an extremely stupid minority of fools
want to do that.


Well, IF there were all these deaths and injuries then you might have a point. However, the statistics don't back you up ... Mountainbiking is relatively safe ... a rate of 1.54 per 1,000 exposures is less than soccer, rugby, american football, road cycling etc etc etc. (http://emj.bmj.com/content/early/201...9.086991.full).

So, once again, you're incorrect; mountainbiking produces injury and death statistics nowhere near 'extreme' sports.


According to the British Medical Associacion, most cycling trauma is

associated with motor traffic.
And even taking those motor traffic cases into account, cycling is far
safer than NOT cycling. Which means than off-road cycling must be FAR
safer than not cycling, right? After all, it represents the safer
side of something which is already very safe indeed.

What you say may very well be true, but there are accidents ... and then there are accidents. The kind of accidents road cyclists suffer are true accidents related to the presence of motor vehicles on the same roads as bicycles. The kind of accidents that off-road cyclists suffer are accidents that never need to happen since they are related to the cycling itself on an unsuitable surface apart from any conflicts with others.

We need to keep our focus on mountain biking accidents due to riding on trails and not compare it with accidents which exist in other universes. Hikers do not suffer the kind of accidents that cyclists suffer on trails because hiking is truly safe, something that mountain biking truly is not.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


  #88  
Old February 14th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,553
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 02:27:40 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. considered Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:39:33
+0700 the perfect time to write:

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:28:17 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Trends come and go the same way fads do. What is going to kill
mountain biking are all the deaths and injuries. Mountain biking is not
considered an extreme sport, yet it racks up deaths and injuries just like most
extreme sports. The vast majority of people in this world do not want to risk
life and limb for a mere recreation. Only an extremely stupid minority of fools
want to do that.

Well, IF there were all these deaths and injuries then you might have a point. However, the statistics don't back you up ... Mountainbiking is relatively safe ... a rate of 1.54 per 1,000 exposures is less than soccer, rugby, american football, road cycling etc etc etc. (http://emj.bmj.com/content/early/201...9.086991.full).

So, once again, you're incorrect; mountainbiking produces injury and death statistics nowhere near 'extreme' sports.

You are not only wrong, but wrongheaded. I will continue to report stories from the field of what is actually happening on the trails and you can continue to puzzle over numbers (statistics) until kingdom come and we shall see who is the more persuasive.


What's this Dooley? "Report stories"? You mean that you are going to
tell some more lies like the wheels are for roads story.

And here I thought saints told the truth.

Saint Dolan, patron of liars.


He's giving Saint Jude (fools and lost causes) and Saint Leonard
(criminals) a run for their money as well.


I always thought St. Jude was lost causes.... never knew he'd been
enlisted for the fools as well :-)

But if the criminals can have their man standing in the heavenly ranks
it would be a shame of the liars were denied representation. All we
need to do is martyrize Dolan and he could stand on the left hand side
of the big chair :-)

I envision him on the sinister side of the assembly :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
  #89  
Old February 14th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,553
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:38:50 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:54:34 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:
[...]

It is not a silly statement when it is related to the issue under discussion – bicycles on trails. It puts things into perspective. All terrain vehicles fall into the same class as motorcycles which has already been dealt with multiple times on another thread on this newsgroup of which you are well aware. Try to stay current if that is possible.
[...]

Ah, but you didn't say that did you. You said wheels for streets.


What is really silly is your rapid change of subject. First you make a

positive statement; next someone demonstrates that your statement is
incorrect; and presto-chango you sashay obliquely off to a new
subject.

The only one here who is attempting to get off the subject is yourself. You simply do not know how to post content. Too bad for you since I am not going to cooperate with your silliness.

I must thank you for the lesson. I now see that your mention of
"content" means, simply, anything that provides insight into your
stupidity.

So no more telling the truth about Dolan. No more point out that he
really doesn't know what he is talking about. No more point out that
he is either the world's greatest fool; or perhaps a liar.

What is becoming extremely evident is that you really don't know what

you are talking about and are simply repeating stock phrases that
you've heard somewhere. Your "What's matter, can't walk" is a fine
example. Nearly every individual is capable of walking from about the
age of eight months.... but what this has to do with mountain bicycles
is a bit nebulas.

It has to do with what trails are for ... something that is obvious to all but brain blighted mountain bikers.

After all, a simple comparison of the general population, above the

age of eight months, and the users of public trails demonstrates the
fact that the vast majority of the walking population does not go
blundering about in the wilderness.

But if they do, they need to walk on the trails, not ride bikes on the trails.

What's next? A discussion of how many Angels can dance on the head of

a needle and a comparison of that number with the number of spokes in
the rear wheel of a mountain bike and thus proving emphatically that
mountain bikes should not be ridden on public trails.

Never fear, I know how to stay focused and will never let simpletons like you distract me from that focus. If and when I get off the subject, it will be because I choose to get off the subject, and not because you choose to get off the subject.


Well, I hate to disregard the panic call for content but just what is
your focus? Denying citizens of the U.S. access to public land? Or is
it just the old bigot's war cry - "They are different, Get 'em"

Or perhaps only the cry of the great loon, echoing in the moon light?
"NO, No, no"


Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

--
Cheers,

John B.
  #90  
Old February 14th 14, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 218
Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

Oxford English Dictionary

Recreation; activity done for enjoyment when one is not working

*

Quad erat demonstrandum; hiking and biking are both

recreations.

But not the same KIND of recreation. Both purpose and means
are different.


It doesn't matter whether they are the same KIND or not ... they are both recreations therefore both entitled to the same consideration in terms of their use of public resource.

1. Note that in all the videos there are hardly any people ... for

the vast majority of the time there is no interaction with other trail
users.* Therefore, there should be no issue in sharing these trails at
all.

2. Perceptions of speed can be very misleading and you should also

remember that mountain bikes are equipped with very powerful disk brakes; we can
stop much more quickly than most hikers or road cyclists would imagine.

1. Obviously you do not care what anyone has to to say about a
situation. They are all lying thru their teeth? Right?


I'm not listening to what people say ... I'm watching the video links which you posted ! The evidence of my eyes is clear ... hardly any interaction .... lots of open space with no people.

2. Speed doesn't matter since bikes have brakes and can stop
whenever and wherever? Good to know that bit of information, although what it
has to do with bikes on trails is not readily apparent. You need to see a
psychiatrist to find out what is making your brain tick!


Sorry Ed, I was assuming that you had a modicum of intelligence and that therefore you would get the point. Let me set it out for you in simple words ...

Your post cited speed and the risk of collisions as a concern.
Powerful brakes slow you down very quickly.
A bike therefore appearing to be travelling too fast to stop is, in fact, perfectly able to do so before impacting a hiker, equestrian or other trail user.

Get it now ?

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pleasures of cycling in the Netherlands Partac[_10_] UK 28 May 28th 12 09:10 PM
The joys of cycling in London Simon Mason[_4_] UK 2 November 2nd 11 06:17 PM
The joys of cycling as seen through the eyes of a runner Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 August 11th 11 08:24 AM
The pleasures of illegal cycling Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 37 June 2nd 09 03:58 PM
one of the joys of cycling... greggery peccary General 56 March 12th 05 03:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.