Tandem Bike-Riding "Technique"?

Old January 20th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Default Tandem Bike-Riding "Technique"?

Say, why is the woman always in the back on a tandem?

I've yet to see one photo of a guy in the back!

First of all, I'd imagine that the guy would enjoy that view more...but
also, doesn't the stoker provide more power? I don't know why I
imagine this...maybe being closer to the rear wheel and its cassette
naturally suggests the idea to me....

Any of you ride tandem with your wives/girlfriends? Do they just
prefer you take the lead or something?

Just wondering. Never been on a tandem in my life.

Old January 20th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

NYC XYZ wrote:
Say, why is the woman always in the back on a tandem?

Who says the woman is always in the back? My wife rides in the front on our
tandem. She's still the stoker, and I'm still the captain, but she rides in
front: http://www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html

Ignoring matters of personal preference (being in control, enjoying the
view, etc.), it's easier for new tandem teams if the captain is a stronger,
larger, and/or more experienced cyclist than the stoker.

also, doesn't the stoker provide more power? I don't know why I
imagine this...maybe being closer to the rear wheel and its cassette
naturally suggests the idea to me....

Being closer to the rear wheel shouldn't matter. The stoker doesn't need to
worry about controling the bike, and can just pedal. But that may or may
not allow the stoker to provide more power than the captain.
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, , http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back."
Old January 20th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Hey, cool! You own a Bilenky Viewpoint!

Have you ever considered it against the Hase Pino, by any chance, while
deciding on purchase?

I'd be very interested in your thoughts. I expect to be in the market
for one next year or the year thereafter.

Old January 20th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

NYC XYZ wrote:
Hey, cool! You own a Bilenky Viewpoint!

Have you ever considered it against the Hase Pino, by any chance, while
deciding on purchase?

I don't remember the Hase Pino, but I might have seen it. Before we bought
the Bilenky Viewpoint, I looked at quite a few web sites for atypical
two-person bikes, including other semi-recumbent tandems, and including
some from overseas companies.

My wife really likes having her own gears, allowing her to adjust her
cadence relative to mine. The Hase Pino has a single timing chain between
the stoker's crank and the captain's crank, with no gears for the stoker.
The Bilenky Viewpoint has one timing chain from the stoker's crank to a
transfer hub with the stoker's derailleur, and a second timing chain from
the transfer hub to the captain's crank.

The Hase Pino also seems more compact, with the stoker's seat further back,
and the captain's handlebars wrapping around to either side of the stoker's
seat. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad.

What really sold us on the Bilenky Viewpoint was a test ride. Try to find
one (of whatever make you're considering) in your area that you can ride
around for an hour or two.
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, , http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software."
Old January 20th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

NYC XYZ wrote:

Any of you ride tandem with your wives/girlfriends? Do they just
prefer you take the lead or something?

With the woman in the back, she is able to talk to her S.O., but he is
unable to respond.