Fixed Penalty Charge - for unicycling

Old June 9th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ian Smith

Default Fixed Penalty Charge - for unicycling

On Sat, 9 Jun, habbywall wrote:
domesticated ape wrote:

Wheter it's illegal or not, lying in court about what unicycle you were
riding would be pretty sketchy, especially if you were under oath!

What if your athiest? Or do they not make you swear on the bible over
there?

You do (by default) swear on a bible, but you are entitled to decline
to do so on religious grounds. It's then called 'affirming' I think,
and there's just a slightly different verbal statement whereby you
promise the same stuff but without hand on bible or the so-help-me-god
bit. The (earthly) penalties for not telling the truth are the same
whether you've sworn or affirmed.

Swearing on the bible always seemed dozy to me, given that the bible
says don't swear 'so-help-me-god'. Thus, we have people that if they
actually belive the bible they won't swear on it, and the people that
will swear on the bible presumably don't actually know or care what it
says, and if it's just another book, why ask them to swear on it?

Matthew 5:33, in case someone wants to see it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 9th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobbling bear

there have been numerous discussions about similar things in France.
finally it seems we could argue this: here even a bicycle can go on the
pavement provided its speed does not go over 6km/h.
this is ok for a small unicycle probably not for a Coker.
so any nice legal argument shoud be based on common sense: is your
vehicle a menace to pedestrians? + is it a menace to cars or to you if
you ride it on the road?
(most) judges are not stupid and they can accept common sense plus a
precise description of the circumstances.
"I rode a big wheel which can go quickly and could be a menacing sight
to pedestrians and accept the principle that in such case it could be
better on roads. nonetheless at that precise moment an empty pavement
was a less dangerous option .... So ....."

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 9th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

semach.the.monkey wrote:
The officer recorded the vehicle as a “Nimbus Unicycle” (after I
corrected him for calling it a Nimbus Bicycle).

Well, that was an error -- correcting his error. You prolly coulda
gotten off on a technicality had you let him write 'bicycle.'

Good luck!

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 9th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unibugg

wobbling bear wrote:
(most) judges are not stupid and they can accept common sense plus a
precise description of the circumstances.
"I rode a big wheel which can go quickly and could be a menacing sight
to pedestrians and accept the principle that in such case it could be
better on roads. nonetheless at that precise moment an empty pavement
was a less dangerous option .... So ....."

I absolutely agree with this. Say what it is. It was a large
unicycle. If it were me I would feel better about telling the truth
and therefore wouldn't be sweating excessively. I'm sure experienced
judges can feel something is wrong just by watching your eyes and how
much you sweat. I wouldn't want to give him/ her any reason to doubt
any part of my story. I'd rather that my sincerity came through.

And maybe in telling the truth and the whole truth you could get dialog
going about the problem. It might help the next person or at least get
people to start working on fixing the problem that unfortunately exists
in so many towns that unicyclists and bicyclists try to ride.

--
Unibugg

Into the blue wrote:
You should see this fella ride up kerbs. He makes it look annoyingly
easy.
Ants make me UPD.

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 13th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wriggy

You could spend on of the weeks money you save commuting on uni on
joining the CTC then you will have access to free legal aid and third
party insurance ( assuming they include unicycles )

I keep meaning to join so now I've advised someone else to I guess I
should really do it!

The incorrectly written ticket is one common way that car offences get
cancelled.

--
wriggy
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 13th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phil

Naomi wrote:
"It is much more like skateboarding than cycling."

Fatal mistake! The International Cycling Union (remember that middle
word, "cycling") don't recognise 24 hour racing or downhill racing as
proper events, but 'are pushing for skateboarding to be in the
Olympics' (http://tinyurl.com/2ffwvj). So, logically, you'd be alright
on the pavement on a mahoosive 50lb+ mountainbike but with a skateboard
you'd better be on the road or you're in trouble...

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 13th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ian Smith

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, wriggy wrote:

You could spend on of the weeks money you save commuting on uni on
joining the CTC then you will have access to free legal aid and third
party insurance ( assuming they include unicycles )

The third party insurance is for protecting you if someone claims
you've injured them or damaged their property - it won't pay for
penalty charges.

The legal stuff is predominantly for assisting you to make a claim if
someone else injures you and you need to pursue them for damages.
They might help with more than that, but it's not the primary
purpose, and I wouldn't pin many hopes on it in the penalty charge
situation.

Some home insurance policies include legal advice helplines - but it's
generally just advice over the phone.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 16th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MattPH

wriggy wrote:
You could spend on of the weeks money you save commuting on uni on
joining the CTC then you will have access to free legal aid and third
party insurance ( assuming they include unicycles )

.

Riding unicycles on or off road is indeed covered by the CTC insurance,
says so on my CTC insurance certificate, so well worth joining.

--
MattPH

You do WHAT on it?
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Firstly, bad luck. You met the wrong copper on the wrong day.

I once got an on the spot fine for having the wrong sized number plate
on my motorbike on a day when it was pouring with rain and there were
no other bikes on the A6 for the bored cop to harrass. I also got a
parking ticket for leaving my motorbike chained to a cycle stand, even
though that parking place is used every day by at least one other
motorcycle, and I'd never ever seen a bicycle there.

Now put it behind you.

It's no good saying he should be chasing the real criminals, whoever
they are. By that argument, no one would ever pay their library fines
because other people steal books; pick pockets would never get
prosecuted because they hadn't burgled anyone; and burglars would have
a jolly good argument that the police should stop harrassing them and
go and chase some murderers instead. The law is unevenly enforced, but
that doesn't make it invalid.

If you were to take the matter to court, there would be a chance that
you would "get off" the fine, but at a cost to you of more than the
fine itself.

But win or lose, the proceedings would cost the tax payer many times
the amount involved. Judges, prosecution lawyers, etc. cost us all.

The police officer himself would have to attend. Then he wouldn't be
"chasing the real criminals"; he'd be wasting his time in court over a
trivial matter and a technicality. You live under the protection of
the law most of the time; don't do harm to the law just because it's
worked agaisnt you this time. (See the "Apology of Socrates"
(-Apologia-, for pedants), and "Crito" for further details.)

And for the rest of unicyclists everywhere, the ambiguity can work in
our favour more often than it doesn't. All we need is one high profile
case to go the wrong way and then we all -know -we're in the wrong. A
basic rule is, if you ask permission, you can be refused it.

It's really bad luck that you met such a posterior orifice of a copper
that one day. It's not as bad luck as having your unicycle stolen by a
real criminal, though.

(I always find it is important to be phiolosophical about other
people's misfortunes.)

--
Mikefule

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iPod_therefore_iUni

were i live the pathways are usually empty, i don't know about London
but here it sure would be pathetic to get pulled up by a cop.

Even so, the only glimpse of the law ive had was when a parent warmed
me one time that riding on the path was illegal.

However i have researched the laws and it said somewhere that it is
illegal unless the rider was cut off or forced off the road in some way
and it it was too dangerous to ride there and there is no other place
but the pavement, i guess that this might apply to you but im not sure.

--
iPod_therefore_iUni

SHUT UP AND UNI!
http://www.usenet.com