Economics not bicycle tech

Old April 11th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Economics not bicycle tech

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:30:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/10/2020 11:57 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
My wife used to be very physically active, broke her ankle, did not do the physical therapy she was supposed to do and now her ankle hurts if she rides a bike or even walks any distance so she avoids it even though she knows better. Because she used to be so active, she cannot do mild exercise but always will overdo it and then be so sore that she avoids it and that turns into never exercising again.

I tried leading her around on a ride and going at very moderate speeds and she loses her patience and takes off. So there is no more point in me trying anymore. I've done this for five years and have gotten exactly nowhere even though I've totally restored both her Colnago Master Piu and her Mercian.

Let me interrupt with some bicycling advice:

Buy a tandem. It works.

When I was in Vietnam the guys in the welding shop built a tandem and
rode it around in the parking area. Then they got bored and turned it
into a triple and rode it around in the parking area... They finally
got up to a fiver", they called it, and found that it was impossible
to ride as, I gathered, it was impossible to coordinate the action of
all five riders.

Which is proof that unless you went overboard you "could" mount your
entire family on one bicycle :-) Imagine the Pater Familias mounted at
the front in all his glory and the three behind, nose to the handle
bars and sweating :-?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 11th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 08:27:24 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 6:47:45 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/9/2020 9:20 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 09:13:12 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:55:23 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/8/2020 8:02 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 10:20:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 7:35:32 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 9:03:19 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 19:03:33 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

You could embrace the new religion, face Mosinee Wisconsin
and give thanks for the sacred toilet paper we send out to
redeem the world. It's suddenly the only sacred artifact in
the nation.

(I don't understand this phenomenon either. It's mystical.)

Did y'all "send out" toilet paper? I thought that it was hoarded by
the multitudes and was no longer available in the "the land of the
free and the home of the brave (with dirty bums)"?

Oh, they're sending it out. My long haul trucker friend posted a
photo of a line of tractor trailers maybe a quarter mile long. They
were lined up to pick up shipments of toilet paper.

We went to the grocery today. On the twenty foot long double shelves
that are usually filled with packs of toilet paper, we saw two packs
of Charmin (6 rolls each) and maybe 20 individual discount rolls.
We snagged one Charmin pack. Woo hoo!

One interesting aspect: If this scare suddenly ends, the toilet paper
factories will have to shut down for a month or more. Nobody will
need to buy any for a long time.

- Frank Krygowski

I think it will actually work out well for them. The toilet paper factories
are running flat out now. Once everybody has too much and the virus
situation continues to worsen, they can let their staff run off of their
banked overtime and stay home with pay.

Ralph, It appears that 3 out of 4 people have immune systems that react very rapidly to this virus and they cannot become infected. They are primed by the fact that Covid-19 is very similar to the cold virus so immunity is pretty much built-in.

Of the 25% of the population left, 80% of them had no or very mild symptoms. The remaining 20% is unclear since they are not properly testing people but it appears that the virus CAN be fatal to about 3% of them however the treatment methods look to be working very well. Perhaps this is the reason that there seems to be a sharp drop in fatalities. Though perhaps it can be more widespread testing which increases the baseline and makes the mortality rate calculations.

What if rather than 80% having little to no symptoms, only 5% do and only 3% of those are in danger? And treatment appears to be working on 80% of those?

I am quite upset at the apparently total fake claims from the CDC. It now appears that we will have fewer than 10% of the predicted fatalities from the CDC and that is not just room for error but totally missing the mark.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
World wide, of the 418,136 cases which, to date, have had an outcome:
329,731 (79%) Recovered
88,405 (21%) died
But don't worry folks Tommy says there is no danger.

In California
https://coronavirus.app/tracking/california
there are have been 18,909 cases diagnosed and 495 deaths and no
recoveries.
But don't worry folks Tommy says there is no danger.
--
cheers,

John B.

a larger perspective:

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2020/04...death-numbers/

Note that CDC now wants any death from any cause listed as
Wuhan virus COVID19, if that tests as present.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

That is rather outdated but the percentages are more or less the same. But that's OK, according to all of the people in the know here, covid-19 is so dangerous we have to shut down the entire economy in order to defeat it. They do not know the mortality rates, they don't know how many people are naturally immune and they don't know the numbers of people who are not naturally immune that have had it or have it but they are positive that the sky is falling.

Tommy, I'm going to tell you a story.

Way back in the 1960's young men were literally flocking out of the
country to avoid the draft, "to be sent to Vietnam to die". One writer
stated that "Estimates of the total number of American citizens who
moved to Canada range from 50,000 to 125,000 This exodus was "the
largest politically motivated migration from the United States since
the United Empire Loyalists moved north to oppose the American
Revolution."

The reality was that in 1968, the worst year of the war, some 16,899
U.S. forces were killed. FOR ONE YEAR.

Now, we are told that in the U.S., for the 75 days that the Virus has
been active, some 16,485 have died. FOR 75 DAYS.
(If you project that rate of death for an entire year you arrive at
the number "80,227")

Forgetting any heart stopping projections, by tomorrow, we will likely
reach a death toll that 50 years ago so terrified the younger
generation that they ran away to Canada.

And you tell us, "Don't worry"?

There's this interesting animation.:
https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1812248/

You still don't get the point do you? Covid-19 causes VERY few deaths itself. And only to a very tiny number of the population that have a faulty immune system.

Tom, let me ask you a question. How do you know? Do you have any
reliable evidence to support your argument?

Or you just a poor old man trying frantically to convince people that
you really are knowledgeable?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 11th 20, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 18:30:19 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/10/2020 5:43 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/10/2020 1:26 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/10/2020 2:08 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:42:30 -0700 (PDT),
???? jbeattie wrote:
?? On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 9:30:23 AM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 4/10/2020 11:57 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
My wife used to be very physically active, broke her
ankle, did not do the physical therapy she was supposed
to do and now her ankle hurts if she rides a bike or even
walks any distance so she avoids it even though she knows
better. Because she used to be so active, she cannot do
mild exercise but always will overdo it and then be so
sore that she avoids it and that turns into never
exercising again.

I tried leading her around on a ride and going at very
moderate speeds and she loses her patience and takes off.

The "leading her around" bit may have been a factor. Sounds
patronizing. Even if you didn't intend it that way, she may well
have taken it as such.

Let me interrupt with some bicycling advice:

Buy a tandem. It works.

?? Or not.?? There is a reason they're called divorcycles.

Often, but not always.?? The standard rubric on the tandem
list is:

"No matter what direction your relationship is headed, a
tandem will get you there faster."

I can think of six tandem couples who are or were friends of
ours from around here. No divorces in the lot. One of the
guys passed away last year in his 80s. Another couple, also
in their 80s, no longer rides but are still happily married.

I'm sure tandem divorces happen, I just don't happen to know
any. Hmm. Do they split custody?

From time to time we ride with the Indiana tandem club. There are
a great number of very happy couples in that group, but it's quite
affected by selection bias.

I've also seen couples come apart over it, or just give up riding
together so they don't come apart. I remember riding past a
tandem on a 20 mile climb up some pass in Colorado, and the male
captain was just berating the hell out of the female stoker.

I've been around tandems for many years and I'm afraid Ted's
right on this. It's not 50-50, but tandems can bring out
conflict more often than you'd imagine.

Tandems are not the cause, they just open that can, worms or
no.

Well, perhaps related: We once had a canoe I called the "River
Pig." It had a very broad beam and very flat bottom, and was
very, very slow. It was probably intended for fishing, or
perhaps duck hunting.

Eventually I wanted to upgrade. I wanted to shop for a lighter,
narrower, faster canoe.

My wife said "No way." She demanded her own kayak. She wanted
to control where she went. And so, we now have two kayaks.

But she absolutely loves the tandem!

My wife does too, and for that I'm extremely thankful. The
control bit is really central. It's much harder to manage the
tandem when she's recently been out on her single, as she tends to
look around me up the road. This sometimes affects the balance,
but nearly always blocks my eyeglass mounted mirror's rear view of
traffic behind us. I've tried explaining that it's added risk,
because her awareness of potential issues will be much slower in
effect than my own. This doesn't usually go over very well, as it
comes off as criticism. So I more and more just ignore it.

We should be able to get out this afternoon for a few hours. Yay!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old April 11th 20, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:55:09 -0700,
Mark J. wrote:
wrote:

Buy a tandem. It works.

???? Or not.?? There is a reason they're called
divorcycles.

Often, but not always.?? The standard rubric on the tandem
list is:

"No matter what direction your relationship is headed, a
tandem will get you there faster."

I can think of six tandem couples who are or were friends of
ours from around here. No divorces in the lot. One of the
guys passed away last year in his 80s. Another couple, also
in their 80s, no longer rides but are still happily married.

I'm sure tandem divorces happen, I just don't happen to know
any. Hmm. Do they split custody?

Well, not real divorces -- I would hope most couples could
withstand a bad bike ride, but you do have wives who
refuse.?? My wife refused in the middle of?? nearly 20% pitch
because she was tired of me pushing her to drop a friend we
were racing up Rocky Point. She was a racer and a hell of a
climber, but she let me know when she had had enough. When
you have a good stoker, you can get spoiled and push too
hard. Ah, the good old days.

I sometimes tell my wife to ease off pedaling, mostly on
uphills. I don't want her to run out of steam 15 miles from
home.

I hope it's done more tactfully than described here (i.e.,
"telling" rather than "asking"), but it must be so if you're still
tandeming.

About a stoker "refusing": She does sometimes get nervous on
fast downhills or turns. I haven't told her that she can apply
the rear brake by just yanking up on the open brake cable that
runs along the top tube. Some things are best kept secret.

We once had a woman friend we met at a distant bike rally. We
became very good friends over the years. She'd never ridden
tandem, so one day we got our kid out of the baby seat on the
back, then let our friend try stoking. It was suddenly like
having a rocket assist, almost scary. I think she was just
wanting to make sure she did her part. But I doubt she could
have kept up that power level for long.

I got my Big Ten varsity track athlete son on the back one time,
and the power was unbelieveable. We did not go far, and my wife
did not like it one bit. I think she did not want her ability
impugned (or her special role diminished?). Since then, I haven't
ventured to try it again. I do recall the bike being a lot more
wobbly with him on the back--no doubt due to the effect of any
movement being amplified by nearly 2X the weight.

On the opposite end of things, I knew a woman who met and
married a guy who just showed up alone on a tandem at an
organized ride and recruited her to ride with him.?? From
what I understand, it was a total chance meeting -- and the
rest is history. I guess if the guy turned out to be a perv,
she could have just stomped on the pedals and steered from
the stoker seat. Don't **** off your stoker!

I knew a guy (and have heard of others) who bought tandems
expressly to trawl for women. Sometimes it even works.

The first time I rode a tandem, I was on the stoker seat and a
strong riding friend of mine was captain. It was a very
flexible French tandem, maybe Gitane. Yes, I steered from the
stoker seat, right off the road! It was a reflex I couldn't
control. We did fine when we switched positions.

Fortunately, my wife is a very stable stoker.

I've only stoked a few times (twice, I think, separated by
decades), but I've captained tandems for tens of thousands of
miles.

My (admittedly poorly-informed) opinion of back-seat steering
is what the fellow who sold me my tandem told me:

"You can't turn from the stoker seat, but you can veto a turn."

Well, maybe. I sometimes have to make almost a panic correction
in corners, when my wife has leaned into it more than just staying
centered over the bike. So I think your point is mostly correct,
but also think it's not that simple.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old April 11th 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My wife and I simply could not share a tandem. Both had completely different cadences and riding styles. To suggest that this would fix more problems than it solves is rather silly.
Old April 11th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

https://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/Tandems.aspx

"Five seat tandems were used as pacer machines in cycle races for a
short period in the 1890s until the introduction of motor powered pacers
at the beginning of the twentieth century."

Also https://www.rodbikes.com/catalog/lon.../longbike1.jpg
etc. etc.

We've ridden alongside people on "quads."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 11th 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

With product and business naming, Barry Beams was a fun name for a hobby. But kinda hokey sounding to put on a sign or a label on the box. Then when investors come in and the venture becomes a serious effort in sales and marketing, branding the business along with the products as Oculus Lights became a prudent change in to attract customers looking for serious headlights, and as a statement that the business has progressed from a eccentric idea into something that really is bringing disruptive innovation to the industry.
Ironically, the greatest value of all may be the name, because it turns out I first used the name "Oculus" a few months before the Oculus that Facebook bought, and I own many variations of Oculus as fictitious business names. If they ever want me to stop using the name, they're welcome to make me an offer I can't refuse.

Old April 12th 20, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Interesting but I think they may have been a bit more skilled than my
welders frolicking about between jobs :-)

Old April 12th 20, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I think Barry is harking back to the discussion of the Trump brand name.

--
- Frank Krygowski

bicycle tech? AMuzi Techniques 2 July 22nd 15 04:04 AM
[Actual bicycle tech] BBB cassette NQR James[_8_] Techniques 6 October 31st 11 01:02 AM
Bicycle economics [email protected] Techniques 0 March 12th 09 05:20 PM
Understanding rec.bicycle.tech ratings? Tom Nakashima Techniques 8 April 17th 07 07:57 PM
Bicycle bell - apolitical tech query [email protected] UK 13 November 17th 06 12:21 AM