Self Driving Vehicles

Old December 24th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Self Driving Vehicles

On 12/24/2019 1:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 9:30:45 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 11:10:55 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 23 December 2019 22:07:35 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/23/2019 6:19 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 23 December 2019 16:16:12 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/22/2019 8:16 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I can see moving more into the lanr but deliberately slowing down just to **** the guy off is just asking for an escalation.

Well, it worked out. Perhaps because oncoming traffic would have
provided witnesses.

FWIW, I do something similar when a driver is tailgating my car. First I
flash the brake lights three times. Most idiots then realize they're too
close and they back off.

But if an idiot stays close (or as some do, gets even closer) I slow
down. I'm determined not to reward obnoxious or dangerous behavior.

--
- Frank Krygowski

"Well, it worked out" is exactly what a lot of people say after they've done something dangerous or aggravating. Riding a bicycle in the middle of a traffic lane and then DELIBERATELY slowing down to impede traffic is a very silly thing to do. There are many areas of the country where such behaviour would have rather serious consequences for the bicyclist. Even without that, there is now one more ****ed off motorist to add their voice to those who would like to see bicyclists banned from the roads or herded into segregated bicycling chutes.

Sorry, Sir, I disagree. If every cyclist pulls over at every sign of
motorist aggression, then more and more motorists are going to learn
that it pays to be aggressive. More and more roads are going to be off
limits to bicyclists.

And I don't believe this guy ended up thinking "I'm going to try to get
bicyclists banned from the roads." I think it's far more likely he ended
up thinking "Man, I was being a real jerk." And in general, I think
that's the normal result of the very rare confrontations I have.

Let me give you two other incidents, both within the past five years.

1) I was on my way to a bike club ride, and I was ahead of schedule. At
one narrow underpass there's no way to avoid taking the lane, except
perhaps to get off the bike and walk a narrow dirt path by the side of
the road. (Perhaps that's what you would do?)

Anyway, a guy in a small pickup waited behind me until it was clear,
then passed in the oncoming lane, as he should have; but he blared his
horn all through the pass. Then, within 100 feet or so, he turned left
into a plaza parking lot.

I followed him and saw him just as he was walking into a pharmacy. I
said "Is there something wrong with your horn?" He said "You're supposed
to get out of the way!"

I said "Wrong. Ohio law gives me full rights to the road, and if the
lane is narrow I'm supposed to ride in the center."

He said "Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know that."

2) Same deal, different location, except the scrappy van passing me
didn't have to wait at all. He immediately turned left into a
residential street. I knew that neighborhood was essentially a
cul-de-sac. I followed him.

I found him about a block further on, pulled over on the left side of a
very quiet street, talking with a guy who was standing on his front
lawn. I rode up between them and said "4511.55" The driver looked
shocked and nervous, and his buddy looked confused. The driver said
"Pardon me?"

"4511.55. That's the Ohio law that gives bikes full rights to the road."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

And I rode on.

If the guy behind your bicycle was that impatient would it really have hurt you to pull over and let him by? Yes, because it would have what?

If I had kowtowed to those three jerks, three people would have gotten
the message that bullying works. Instead, by my count, there were four
people that got educated about our legal rights to the road, counting
the guy on the lawn.

I look at it this way. My bicycle weighs between 20 and 25 pounds. A car is around 3000 pounds and the driver is totally protected by it. If push comes to shove my bicycle will lose every time. I prefer not to take the risk and thus I try not to do things to deliberately **** off a driver of a motor vehicle.

And when you're driving your car do you pull off the road for trucks? If
you were on a motorcycle, would you pull off the road for a Honda Fit?

I don't base my driving or riding practices on relative weight. I base
them on the laws, and on what I've learned in about five different
cycling courses, plus tons of reading and countless miles of riding.

Your beliefs and practices once again differ from what I think most bicyclists would do.

Oh, I'm sure most bicyclists don't ride as I do. Most bicyclists haven't
bothered to consciously learn anything about riding. Many ride without
lights at night, ride mostly on sidewalks, routinely blow stop signs and
traffic lights, don't maintain their bikes, ride facing traffic, never
signal turns or lane changes, don't know how to execute a proper left
turn, can't ride a straight line, etc.

I'm not going to emulate "most riders," just as my driving doesn't
emulate "most drivers."

--
- Frank Krygowski

You on your bicycle deliberately holding back traffic as you did in your first comment are no different than those car drivers who do silly things and then spend time justifying their actions.

You mean by driving under the speed limit? "Horrors! How dare they! Everyone
knows it's a lower limit, not an upper limit."

No, Sir, that's wrong. It's not a lower limit. A bicyclist is allowed to ride at
a normal speed for a bicycle. That's a very close paraphrase of an Ohio appelate
court decision. There is no requirement for me to ride as fast as I can. There
is also no requirement for me to leave the roadway if someone else wants to
drive faster than I'm riding.

Yes, but that is in the republic of Ohio, basically the only place where that rule applies, assuming it still does. Virtually every other state has an impeding law or slow moving vehicle law -- even for cars. Washington even has a numerical rule (five vehicles): https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427 What's good for cars is good for bikes, no? Can't have a parade without a parade permit. There is a time to "control" traffic and a time not to control traffic and get out of the way. The same is true if you are in a car, on a horse, in a golf cart, etc., etc.

OK, perhaps we have to specify what situation we're discussing. Then you
can explain what sort of bicyclist behavior you're advocating.

First, Ohio has no "five or more" law, and it wouldn't matter anyway.
None of the incidents I described involved more than one motorist. And
in fact, it's vanishingly rare for me to delay a chain of five cars.
It's far more common for a line of cars to delay _me_.

Next: IIRC, more than half the states have minimum passing clearance
laws. Most, like Ohio, say three feet clearance is required. Typical
minimum width of a car is 6.5 feet or so, but trucks can be as wide as
8.5 feet. That means in most states a 12 foot lane is the bare minimum
that can be safely and legally shared. In my three examples, none of the
lanes were that wide.

So what are you saying that I should have done in those three
situations? What do _you_ do when you're riding a ten foot lane and an
8.5 foot truck comes up behind? Do you really jump off your bike and bow
as the motorist passes? Do you really tell your riding buddies to do that?

And while we're at it, perhaps you should say what should be the
behavior of a farmer driving his tractor from field to field; an Amish
guy in his horse drawn buggy; a post office employee driving a delivery
truck; a heavily loaded truck climbing a steep grade, etc. Are all those
people required to leave the road to avoid slowing an impatient jerk?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 24th 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/24/2019 8:09 AM, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

and then spend time justifying their actions. I know a lot of areas where
if you did what you did you would have been at least bumped from behind
or worse. One day your luck is going to run out and you'll have a run
down feeling that even Geritol won't help.

Cheers

A tale of two Christians.

True Christians don't claim to be perfect.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 24th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/24/2019 3:43 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 02:05:00 UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 21:44:43 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 11:45:12 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 22:08:54 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 12/23/2019 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:

Thus it would seem to behoove the cyclist, for his own protection, to
avoid, in any way possible, contact with other traffic.

So, ride in your basement on a wind trainer.

Have at it, if that's all you can handle. But I feel sorry for you.

Insult if you chose but a bit more accurate reading would show that:
"I ride on roads where traffic is *normally* moving at speeds
of 100 KPH or faster..."

A _perfectly_ accurate reading would show that I was talking about riding to
church on Sunday morning, and dealing with one rude motorist. Nobody was going
100kph. Yet you advised "avoiding, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, contact with other traffic."

If you meant physical contact, I suppose you might have a case. But in about five decades of riding, that's not been a problem (despite Sir's and you fears.)
If you mean I should not have been on the street I was riding, I'm sorry, but
that's nuts. I'm not going to ride only on segregated bike trails.

Yes, it's conceivable that a motorist could try to murder me. But it's also
conceivable that a car could crash into a house and knock a sleeping person out
of bed. (We had one of those incidents on the news tonight.) It would be
paranoid to give up road riding - or sleeping in bed - because of such a rare
possibility.

Frank, it is perfectly all right to froth at the mouth in fury but
don't get it all over the screen so you can't see what the other guy
said, before you post your insults. (It makes you look like a fool)

Sorry, John, I'm not frothing. I'm not even angry. But I'm quite surprised that
two purportedly avid cyclists think another cyclist should give away his legal
rights if a motorist acts like an ass.

Guys, grow a pair!

- Frank Krygowski

Should give away his legal rights.... Yes, it makes perfect sense. Or
does it?

I came across some data on vehicle - pedestrian collisions and while
it isn't cyclists I suggest that it has some relationship as the
cyclist has about as much protection in a collision as the pedestrian.

Remembering that I was referring in my post of cycling on a highway
with motor vehicle traffic traveling at 100 kph, or faster, while I'm
whizzing along at more or less 25 kph, a difference of about 75kph.
The chart, published by the European Commission for Mobility and
Transport (Road Safety) shows that the chance of death of a
pedestrian struck by a vehicle traveling at 75 kph is ~98%. I suggest
that the chances of death in a motor vehicle - bicycle collision at
the same speed is very similar.

Refusing not to give up one's "legal Rights" in conditions that offer
a 98% chance of death hardly seems like a logical idea.
--
cheers,

John B.

Once again Frank has posted an incident and then morphed that incident into something else entirely.

The point that I was trying to make and that Frank has ignored or rationalized to suit his behaviour is, that it's wrong to DELIBERATELY SLOW DOWN SO AS TO IMPEDE TRAFFIC. I be that all Frank did was **** off that driver.

OK, Sir, please tell me what you would have done. Again: It's a narrow
lane by the law's definition (too narrow to share with three feet of
clearance between passing cars and a bike). The guy blasted down his
driveway in reverse directly toward me, stopping partway into the road
only when I yelled. Then he immediately rushed up close behind me.

I slowed from maybe 15 mph (it's uphill) to maybe 12 mph and glared back
at the guy to let him know I disapproved.

You would have said "Oh, please, don't let me delay you. Pardon me for
using the road" and jumped into the gutter? Seriously?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 24th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

The idea is to avoid the collision. The question is, what's the best way
of avoiding the collision.

There are several schools of thought. The most common idea is to never
ride a bicycle on a public road. Perhaps that's what you're advocating -
although it's inconsistent with your posting here, and with your claimed
habits. It's certainly incompatible with my life.

The second most common idea is to ride on the extreme edge of the road
and/or its shoulder, even if it has gravel, bumps, broken glass, drain
grates, cracks, etc. and even if doing so encourages motorists to pass
leaving mere inches of clearance. That's the habit of every cyclist who
kowtows to every motorist, and who thinks any toothless moron driving a
beat up pickup deserves higher status than any bicyclist. They trust
such a moron to accurately gauge where his right mirror is as said moron
rushes home to watch Oprah.

The third idea is the one actually consistent with most American and
European laws, and is taught in every cycling class curriculum I've
encountered. That's to use one's legal right to the road by claiming the
lane whenever a lane is too narrow to be safely shared with a motor
vehicle. This is also the technique whose devotees say has changed their
riding experience tremendously for the better. They say it has almost
eliminated dangerously close passes and has added to their safety and
riding pleasure.

But most people can't seem to comprehend the verbiage of the laws, and
almost nobody is interested in actually _learning_ about competent
riding. That's because everyone already "knows" that they are
wonderfully competent and have nothing more to learn. It's
Dunning-Kruger at its finest.

So, again, most people don't ride at all. And most of those who do cower
as far to the edge as physically possible. They put up with vehicles
passing inches from their elbow, and think "Oh, I hope none of those
drivers twitches a couple inches toward the edge; because at their
speed, there's a 98% chance they'll kill me."

If that's how you like to ride, do so. But ISTM that if you want to
argue about it, you should make your way through a proper cycling class
first. Or at least read a good book on competent road cycling.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 24th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 1:24:35 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/23/2019 1:04 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 9:46:23 PM UTC-8, Claus Aßmann wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
I was saying that I didn't think that self driving vehicles would work.

Are you talking about self-driving bicycles
or why are you posting this here?

[since it is off-topic here I won't post a reply about the
object recognition problems....]

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Claus, this is a continuation from another string. And the significance of it is that self driving cars do not get road rage and run people on bicycles over.

It's true the self driving cars don't deliberately try to run over
cyclists. But there are real concerns over their ability to reliably
detect bicyclists and respond appropriately.

And it's not a simple problem. For one thing, bicycles and bicyclists
come in a dizzying array of configurations. Someone riding with loaded
panniers can "look" different than a person pedaling an unladen bike.
Tandems, recumbents, trikes, enclosed velocars, bike trailers, etc. can
mess with the detection.

For another thing, bicyclists have much more variation in behavior than
do other vehicle operators. Riding wrong way, turning left from a right
side bike lane, running red lights etc. are more common for people on
bikes than people in motor vehicles.

The normally useless League of American Bicyclists is lobbying for legal
standards for self driving cars. I think there should be tests that the
systems must pass, which includes detecting a wide variety of
bicyclists. ISTM we need something analogous to a driver's test, but for
the self driving system. I'm surprised it's not already a requirement.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Thee is no guarantee that drivers can reliably detect bicyclists and avoid them.
Old December 24th 19, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

You're lucky. Like I said, we have a lot of of former farm roads that are now arterials between McMansionville. https://tinyurl.com/ruvthtj 30 years ago, that road was empty. Now its got some scary dense building at one end and tony Lake Oswego at the other.

Next: IIRC, more than half the states have minimum passing clearance
laws. Most, like Ohio, say three feet clearance is required. Typical
minimum width of a car is 6.5 feet or so, but trucks can be as wide as
8.5 feet. That means in most states a 12 foot lane is the bare minimum
that can be safely and legally shared. In my three examples, none of the
lanes were that wide.

So what are you saying that I should have done in those three
situations? What do _you_ do when you're riding a ten foot lane and an
8.5 foot truck comes up behind? Do you really jump off your bike and bow
as the motorist passes? Do you really tell your riding buddies to do that?

I don't know what you should do, which is kind of my point. I'm not going to prescribe for you because I don't ride where you do. My lane position depends on a lot of things, including sight lines and the character of the traffic, which sounds strange, but riding lane-center in hick-town Clackamas County will incite some homicidal mullet-head to cut me off or push me off the road, both of which have happened more than once. On my way to work, I take the lane going over the bridges and up he back roads home.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...c1ab8d08_b.jpg That is 50mph traffic except when it really backs up. Most drivers are compliant, but the buses are sketchy, and I have to really stiffen my spine before pulling out in front of them. And yes, there are times when I think I'm going to get flattened, and then I take different routes for a week or two -- until I'm late to work and go that way again.

And while we're at it, perhaps you should say what should be the
behavior of a farmer driving his tractor from field to field; an Amish
guy in his horse drawn buggy; a post office employee driving a delivery
truck; a heavily loaded truck climbing a steep grade, etc. Are all those
people required to leave the road to avoid slowing an impatient jerk?

They are obligated to follow the law, whatever it may be. People do need to read the VC and act accordingly. If everyone is playing by the same rules, it is more likely that traffic will move smoothly. The impatient certainly don't get a free pass. They have to follow the rules, too.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 24th 19, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jbeattie wrote:

They are obligated to follow the law, whatever it may be. People
do need to read the VC and act accordingly. If everyone is playing
by the same rules, it is more likely that traffic will move smoothly.
The impatient certainly don't get a free pass. They have to follow
the rules, too.

Sure. If they're motorists. I think the imperative for people who've made a better choice of transportation is to minimize their exposure to the hazards and toxins that come from motor vehicles. Sometimes that means observing the provisions of the vehicle code, and sometimes it means deviating from bad practices that are in the code.

For instance, I'll never wait with my bike at a traffic light for an empty cross street, respecting the right-of-way of hypothetical cars, only to be enveloped in stinking poison fumes when the light changes. In that case, I will always proceed immediately in order to minimize my exposure to pollution or inattentive turning drivers.

I also won't necessarily go when it's my turn, if I distrust the willingness of crossing drivers to stop or wait, or act predictably. I want someone who's a likely threat to me to go on ahead.

I recently read in the news that a neighborhood in Tempe, Arizona of all places is going car-free, such that residents must promise not to own a car. It hasn't even been built yet, but already it looks like possibly the smartest place in America. In Arizona! Who could have predicted it?

It will take more than a thousand reasonable people situated in the middle of a million deranged chuds to make me move, but I will move to the first real city in the USA that has a livable climate and prohibits personal cars.
Old December 25th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Certainly I agree with your first 7 words. The remainder of your post
is simply self justification.

There are several schools of thought. The most common idea is to never
ride a bicycle on a public road. Perhaps that's what you're advocating -
although it's inconsistent with your posting here, and with your claimed
habits. It's certainly incompatible with my life.

As I previously wrote, "Remembering that I was referring in my post of
cycling on a highway with motor vehicle traffic traveling at 100 kph,
or faster, while I'm whizzing along at more or less 25 kph, a
difference of about 75kph."

Does that sound like "never ride a bicycle on a public road"?

The second most common idea is to ride on the extreme edge of the road
and/or its shoulder, even if it has gravel, bumps, broken glass, drain
grates, cracks, etc. and even if doing so encourages motorists to pass
leaving mere inches of clearance. That's the habit of every cyclist who
kowtows to every motorist, and who thinks any toothless moron driving a
beat up pickup deserves higher status than any bicyclist. They trust
such a moron to accurately gauge where his right mirror is as said moron
rushes home to watch Oprah.

Which, I might point out, no one has mentioned except you. Is this
another scare story to bolster your theories?

The third idea is the one actually consistent with most American and
European laws, and is taught in every cycling class curriculum I've
encountered. That's to use one's legal right to the road by claiming the
lane whenever a lane is too narrow to be safely shared with a motor
vehicle. This is also the technique whose devotees say has changed their
riding experience tremendously for the better. They say it has almost
eliminated dangerously close passes and has added to their safety and
riding pleasure.

So you advocate simply riding out in front of traffic that is
traveling 75 kph faster than you?

As I think I've mentioned I live on the main highway between Bangkok
and the N.E. east part of the country and truck traffic is heavy. I've
seen lines of trucks at least a kilometer long thundering down the
road, nose to tail at 100 kph. And you advocate riding out in front of
them?

But most people can't seem to comprehend the verbiage of the laws, and
almost nobody is interested in actually _learning_ about competent
riding. That's because everyone already "knows" that they are
wonderfully competent and have nothing more to learn. It's
Dunning-Kruger at its finest.

So, again, most people don't ride at all. And most of those who do cower
as far to the edge as physically possible. They put up with vehicles
passing inches from their elbow, and think "Oh, I hope none of those
drivers twitches a couple inches toward the edge; because at their
speed, there's a 98% chance they'll kill me."

If that's how you like to ride, do so. But ISTM that if you want to
argue about it, you should make your way through a proper cycling class
first. Or at least read a good book on competent road cycling.

Ah yes, And of course the class is teaching the correct
information....

The Holy Roman Church taught that the sun rotated around the earth and
justified it by quoting the Bible... until 1822 when The College of
Cardinals state that the "publication of works treating of the motion
of the Earth and the stability of the sun, in accordance with the
opinion of modern astronomers, is permitted."

That is nearly 2,000 years of teaching the wrong thing.... are your
bicycle schools better?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 25th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 11:49:34 +0000, Tosspot
wrote:

On 24/12/2019 07.04, John B. wrote:

snip

Refusing not to give up one's "legal Rights" in conditions that offer
a 98% chance of death hardly seems like a logical idea.

But it's important to die knowing you were in the right :-)

Btw, sig-sep bust?

Here lies the body of Henry Gray
He died defending his right of way.
His way was right, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 25th 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, December 24, 2019 at 1:53:20 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

[...]

So I guess Michigan is out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackin...Transportation I don't know of any city in the world that totally prohibits personal cars. The place in Arizona seems implausible knowing Arizona. It sprawls like California, and when the heat hits, everyone hides in their air conditioned Habitrail. People probably ride their bikes to a massive parking lot where they get into their air conditioned cars and head to the mall. eBikes, baby. That's the future.

-- Jay Beattie.