alerting drivers to rear light failures

Old July 12th 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

Default alerting drivers to rear light failures

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

Old July 12th 09, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Adam Lea wrote:
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

Hard to judge the mentality of the driver,if I were the driver,I would
appreciate being informed.

Bod
Old July 12th 09, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Adam Lea wrote:
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear
light/brake light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the
driver to it if safe and practical to do so, or would this be more
likely than not to annoy them?

Most will say thanks. A small number will tell you to **** off and mind your
own business.

Old July 12th 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:58:03 +0100, Bod wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

Hard to judge the mentality of the driver,if I were the driver,I would
appreciate being informed.

Where I've subsequently come alongside driver and they've had a window
open, I've told them. Two car drivers and one motorbike have been
happy to be told. I wouldn't try hand-signals or anything that might
be misinterpreted, but if the opportunity for a polite word through a
window (something like "hi - do you know your nearside brake light
isn't working?") has never been mis-interpreted in my experience.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 12th 09, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:54:21 +0100
"Adam Lea" wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear
light/brake light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the
driver to it if safe and practical to do so, or would this be more
likely than not to annoy them?

If presented with a convenient opportunity to do so (e.g. stopped
at a junction, window open) I generally tell them, but it's not
worth making a big deal out of it. Some are appreciative, some
confused and some seem annoyed - maybe they're tired of being told,
maybe they're just annoyed with the light for failing ...

Old July 12th 09, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Adam Lea wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

Although it's an odd thing to have to say, I think it annoys drivers no
matter who tells them things like this, since it impossible not to make it
sound like a criticism.

Old July 12th 09, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if
safe and practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to
annoy them?

Although it's an odd thing to have to say, I think it annoys drivers no
matter who tells them things like this, since it impossible not to make
it sound like a criticism.

No,the decent ones will be grateful.

Bod
Old July 12th 09, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Adam Lea" wrote in message
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe
and practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy
them?

IME they tend to appreciate it - people seem to thank me for doing so.

Old July 12th 09, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Bod" wrote in message
JNugent wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe
and practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy
them?

Although it's an odd thing to have to say, I think it annoys drivers no
matter who tells them things like this, since it impossible not to make
it sound like a criticism.

No,the decent ones will be grateful.

I did this once when on a motorbike, I was politely asked in return "What TF
has it got to do with you?". Now I do not bother.

Old July 12th 09, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
JNugent wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe
and practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy
them?
Although it's an odd thing to have to say, I think it annoys drivers no
matter who tells them things like this, since it impossible not to make
it sound like a criticism.

No,the decent ones will be grateful.

I did this once when on a motorbike, I was politely asked in return "What TF
has it got to do with you?". Now I do not bother.

It wouldn't surprise me if you said "Get your effing light sorted,you
tosser" :-)

Bod

SKS rear light Will Cove UK 5 January 30th 07 09:37 PM
rear light Katharine & Paul Australia 16 September 22nd 06 08:34 AM
Best rear light? elyob UK 17 July 8th 05 08:49 AM
Rear light JBB UK 4 November 27th 04 10:33 AM
Rear Light Sam Salt UK 4 February 26th 04 10:20 PM