Inconsiderate Cycling?

Old January 30th 07, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Budstaff

Default Inconsiderate Cycling?

I found myself following a born again/one foot in the grave biker on a big
Harley this morning. Single carriageway national limit and he was doing
20mph at most. Funnily enough the police car in the queue made no attempt to
stop him.

ISTR that Daniel Cadden was charged with inconsiderate cycling. Is there
actually such an offence, and if there is, is there a 'motorised'
equivalent?

Old January 30th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Budstaff wrote:
ISTR that Daniel Cadden was charged with inconsiderate cycling. Is there
actually such an offence, and if there is, is there a 'motorised'
equivalent?

There's "driving without due consideration".

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section9/chapter_b.html#17
Careless driving and driving without due consideration - Section 3 RTA 1988.
Old January 30th 07, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bobrayner

On 30 Jan, 13:22, (Alan Braggins) wrote:
In article , Budstaff wrote:
ISTR that Daniel Cadden was charged with inconsiderate cycling. Is there
actually such an offence, and if there is, is there a 'motorised'
equivalent?There's "driving without due consideration".

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section9/chapter_b.html#17
Careless driving and driving without due consideration - Section 3 RTA 1988.

It's worth looking at section 29 too:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1988...n_2.htm#mdiv29

"If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention,
or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road,
he is guilty of an offence.In this section "road" includes a
bridleway."

And so on.

Old January 30th 07, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

Budstaff wrote:
I found myself following a born again/one foot in the grave biker on a big
Harley this morning. Single carriageway national limit and he was doing
20mph at most. Funnily enough the police car in the queue made no attempt to
stop him.

If the vehicle in front spends more on petrol than those following it's
OK

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old January 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Niall Wallace

"Budstaff" wrote in message
I found myself following a born again/one foot in the grave biker on a big
Harley this morning. Single carriageway national limit and he was doing
20mph at most. Funnily enough the police car in the queue made no attempt
to stop him.

ISTR that Daniel Cadden was charged with inconsiderate cycling. Is there
actually such an offence, and if there is, is there a 'motorised'
equivalent?

There was a woman got done for driving at low speed between Crief and Perth
and caused a large tailback can't remember what happend in the end.
She claimed she had never driven at night before and had been caught out.

OTOH this is a motorcycle not a car, its taking up considerably less space
(ie why couldn't you get past, was the road narrow?)

It's the sort of thing that should be enforced better but all we ever get
while following a car crawlign at 35 through the highlands is the odd sign
saying "Pull over and let others past"

Niall

Old February 1st 07, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Budstaff wrote:
I found myself following a born again/one foot in the grave biker on a big
Harley this morning. Single carriageway national limit and he was doing
20mph at most. Funnily enough the police car in the queue made no attempt to
stop him.

ISTR that Daniel Cadden was charged with inconsiderate cycling. Is there
actually such an offence, and if there is, is there a 'motorised'
equivalent?

Here on the south coast, the temperature was about 1 degree (according
to my car's thermometer) this morning.

On two wheels, I would have been going carefully.
Old February 1st 07, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:05:33 +0000, Al C-F wrote:

Here on the south coast, the temperature was about 1 degree (according
to my car's thermometer) this morning.

On two wheels, I would have been going carefully.

Rubbish. Your car's thermometer is wrong. At 08:30 the air temperature
in the coldest part of the UK (according to the METARS collected by
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/) was better than 3 degrees, and so I set off
with warm socks in my luverly new Lake winter booties, but no more cold
weather precautions than that.

Mike
Old February 1st 07, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Mike Causer wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:05:33 +0000, Al C-F wrote:

Here on the south coast, the temperature was about 1 degree (according
to my car's thermometer) this morning.

On two wheels, I would have been going carefully.

Rubbish. Your car's thermometer is wrong. At 08:30 the air temperature
in the coldest part of the UK (according to the METARS collected by
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/) was better than 3 degrees, and so I set off
with warm socks in my luverly new Lake winter booties, but no more cold
weather precautions than that.

Mike

You might be right, give or take a degree. However, when I started out
at 0615, it was decidedly parky.
Old February 1st 07, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:48:11 +0000, Al C-F wrote:

You might be right, give or take a degree. However, when I started out
at 0615, it was decidedly parky.

But you were in a car.

Mike