events for none club members

Old May 8th 04, 03:43 PM
VisionSet

Default events for none club members

Events for none club members.

Is this possible?

Where are they advertised, preferably on-line.

Interested in none or not very competitive events to start off with.

Up to about 100k

--
Mike W

Old May 8th 04, 04:09 PM
VisionSet

"VisionSet" wrote in message
news
Events for none club members.

Is this possible?

Where are they advertised, preferably on-line.

Interested in none or not very competitive events to start off with.

Up to about 100k

Okay the answers is Audax, I'll get my coat.
Doesn't seem to be many events.
I used to do a fair bit of orienteering and I could usually do an event
every other week without travelling more than 40 miles to it.

--
Mike W

Old May 8th 04, 04:12 PM
Mike Gayler

"VisionSet" writed in newsn6nc.262$Nc3.48@newsfe3-
win.server.ntli.net:

Events for none club members.

Is this possible?

Where are they advertised, preferably on-line.

Interested in none or not very competitive events to start off with.

Up to about 100k

Audax events would seem to fit the bill, there's plenty of 100k events,
some 50k as well. They are fiercly non-competetive, just a minimum and a
maximum speed. Generally good company, lots of helpful advice, and
several cafe stops!
www.audax.uk.com (select calender)

Most CTC sections, (and I would imagine many other clubs) welcome new
faces, and rarely insist of you being a member, although you may be very
strongly encouraged to join the relevant club (CTC or other).

Mike - Leicester
Old May 8th 04, 10:05 PM
MartinM

Mike Gayler wrote in message 2.123...
"VisionSet" writed in newsn6nc.262$Nc3.48@newsfe3-
win.server.ntli.net:

Events for none club members.

Is this possible?

Where are they advertised, preferably on-line.

Interested in none or not very competitive events to start off with.

Up to about 100k

Audax events would seem to fit the bill, there's plenty of 100k events,
some 50k as well. They are fiercly non-competetive, just a minimum and a
maximum speed. Generally good company, lots of helpful advice, and
several cafe stops!
www.audax.uk.com (select calender)

Most CTC sections, (and I would imagine many other clubs) welcome new
faces, and rarely insist of you being a member, although you may be very
strongly encouraged to join the relevant club (CTC or other).

Yes Audax is the ticket, friendly, non competitive and above all fun ;-)
Old May 10th 04, 08:21 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:09:55 +0100, VisionSet wrote:

"VisionSet" wrote in message
news
Events for none club members.

Is this possible?

Where are they advertised, preferably on-line.

Interested in none or not very competitive events to start off with.

Up to about 100k

Okay the answers is Audax, I'll get my coat.
Doesn't seem to be many events.
I used to do a fair bit of orienteering and I could usually do an event
every other week without travelling more than 40 miles to it.

You could look at MTB orienteering, the 5 hour events usually have enough
road sections in to give you a chance of not coming last without a MTB. I
don't know where in the UK you are but there are also 'lane orienteering'
events which are completely on-road bike orienteering events but AFAIK
these only happen in the Lakes and in the summer.

Colin
Old May 10th 04, 01:13 PM
davek

Visionset:
Events for none club members. Is this possible? Where are the
advertised, preferably on-line

I've recently started riding with a local club on Sunday mornings. I'
not actually a club member but they welcome all-comers and, mor
importantly, their insurance covers "guest riders", which is handy. I'
sure this is common enough

I found them by foraging through the bowels of the internet but anothe
good place to look is the back of Cycling Weekly - there you will find
calendar with lists of cycling events handily divided into categories
You'll be wanting to look under the heading "Leisure Rides". Listing
usually tell you what kind of distance and speed to expect but they wil
also have contact details for further information

-

Old May 10th 04, 01:47 PM
Arthur Clune

davek wrote:

: I've recently started riding with a local club on Sunday mornings. I'm
: not actually a club member but they welcome all-comers and, more
: importantly, their insurance covers "guest riders", which is handy. I'm
: sure this is common enough.

I suspect it's not. Most clubs in the UK don't have insurance except for
events I'd guess.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old May 10th 04, 02:19 PM
davek

Arthur Clune:
I suspect it's not. Most clubs in the UK don't have insurance excep
for events I'd guess

Ah, OK. I stand corrected. Does this go for CTC too? Obviously insuranc
is part of CTC membership, and I presume this covers DA rides, but doe
it cover guest riders

-

Old May 10th 04, 03:52 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

davek wrote:
Arthur Clune:
I suspect it's not. Most clubs in the UK don't have insurance except
for events I'd guess.

Ah, OK. I stand corrected. Does this go for CTC too? Obviously
insurance is part of CTC membership, and I presume this covers DA
rides, but does it cover guest riders?

CTC insurance covers the /organisers/ of the ride against any public
liability (which is why ride leaders must be CTC members). CTC members also
get public liability insurance as part of the membership package, as you
know. A guest rider on a CTC ride has, as far as I'm aware, no insurance
cover.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old May 10th 04, 07:00 PM
Roger Fretwell

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
davek wrote:

Arthur Clune:

I suspect it's not. Most clubs in the UK don't have insurance except
for events I'd guess.

Ah, OK. I stand corrected. Does this go for CTC too? Obviously
insurance is part of CTC membership, and I presume this covers DA
rides, but does it cover guest riders?

CTC insurance covers the /organisers/ of the ride against any public
liability (which is why ride leaders must be CTC members). CTC members also
get public liability insurance as part of the membership package, as you
know. A guest rider on a CTC ride has, as far as I'm aware, no insurance
cover.

My understanding is that guest riders do have public liability insurance
, in that they are covered against claims from other riders who are CTC
members, so that any accident involving a CTC member is covered for bot
h parties. Conversely if two guests have an accident then neither is
covered. That at least is my understanding of the current state of affairs.

Regards,
Roger

Time trials MartinM UK 43 April 22nd 04 03:42 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM