Bus driver pushing around bicycles

Old August 19th 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Bus driver pushing around bicycles

I think the average driver of buses is far better trained than the average driver, and that's why they disappoint me when they engage in a rat race with bicycles. We were struggling with this bus for a mile, us trying to stay away from his fumes, and him pushing us every time we got around him. It's not who's right or wrong, but simply a matter of courtesy and common sense.. We are slow vehicles with a trailer and they have another lane. Do drivers think that much about the needs of cyclists?

Massive amounts of carbon monoxide are bad for you and so being hit by a bus. In this same place a bus driver hit a cyclist and then told the passengers not to say anything... It almost sounds comical since they got a camera on board, but he tried to be a hit and run.

A BIKE LANE would simplify things but things like that sound almost Utopian around here. I'm told they'll be here by 2025, but I'm not a fan of the future. We decided to make life a beach and we did. Mission accomplished.

I propose that where there's no bike lanes you simply take the lane. The trailer helps add mass to the argument. OVER MY DEAD BODY.

Old August 19th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Friday, August 19, 2011 1:56:02 PM UTC-4, Tom wrote:
On 8/19/11 11:00 AM, TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
[...]

monkey boy out playing tag with a bus, Good Thinking, tell us where to
send flowers

Send them to "Wise TibetanMonkey Banana Mausoleum" to be built right next to the road. I want it to be a banana, not a torpedo shape, to symbolize PEACE.
Old August 19th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Friday, August 19, 2011 2:13:15 PM UTC-4, Conscience wrote:
On 2011-08-19 17:56:02 +0000, Tom said:

[...]

My wife and I recently took a bicycling safety course, Smart Cycling,
given by the League of American Bicyclists. (www.bikeleague.org). On
page 22 of the book are the statistics of bicycle crashes. Fifty
percent are due to falls, thirty-three percent involve animals, and the
minority, at seventeen percent, involve motor vehicles.

Forty-seven percent, nearly HALF of the motor vehicle-involved 17
percent cited above, are the fault of the bicyclist himself.
Forty-eight percent of the 17 percent are the fault of the driver of
the motor vehicle. Five percent is undetermined.

In other words, motor vehicle drivers are the cause of bike crashes in
only 8.16 percent of the grand total.

Obviously Darwinism plays itself out quite nicely among stupid bicycle
riders, with monkey boy necessarily being not long for this world.

I'm afraid they ripped you off in that school. That's because you should have come to my school --absolutely free-- where you learn the true Wisdom of the Jungle.

I'd be tell you right up front to dismiss the statistics and face reality. THERE ARE NO CYCLISTS OUT THERE BECAUSE OF THE FEAR CAUSED BY A DARWINIST DRIVING SYSTEM. Cars speed anywhere, on any lane instead of a passing lane. Many drivers are decent, but others just want to see you on the sidewalk or dead.

I'd not even encourage novice cyclists to get out there and face the ugly reality as confirmed by an independent source on the same spot:

"We here at Transit Miami do not advocate bicycling on sidewalks, but Bal Harbour is forcing inexperienced cyclists to ride on dangerous Collins Avenue. I would not want my child riding on Collins Avenue. Bal Harbour should not force people to ride in the roadway. Rather then castigating cyclists Bal Harbour should work with the FDOT to provide a safer environment for cyclists of all ages to ride comfortably and safely through Bal Harbour."

http://www.transitmiami.com/fdot/bal...h-state-statue

***

Don't forget the name of my school: "School of Life," taught by the Wise TibetanMonkey.
Old August 19th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Friday, August 19, 2011 4:57:31 PM UTC-4, TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Seriously, no Banana Mausoleum. I even did a search and there's no such thing is the annals of human history.

What really hurts me is that the driver --and people like you, I assume-- are all PROLES like me. The ingredient of CLASS STRUGGLE is removed and you find one monkey racing another. What kind of rat race is that?

WE GOT NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR CHAINS, if you know what I mean.
Old August 20th 11, 11:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

On Aug 19, 4:41*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" wrote:

Seriously, no Banana Mausoleum. I even did a search and there's no such thing is the annals of human history.

http://www.ecoffins.co.uk/ has banana coffins
http://www.ecoffins.co.uk/productsum...&categoryid2=7
.. If you special order, maybe they could even make it in a banana
shape?
Old August 20th 11, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Philosopher" wrote:

Seriously, no Banana Mausoleum. I even did a search and there's no such thing is the annals of human history.

http://www.ecoffins.co.uk/ has banana coffins
http://www.ecoffins.co.uk/productsum...&categoryid2=7
. If you special order, maybe they could even make it in a banana
shape?

Oh thanks! That's very reassuring and now I can die in peace. I only have to bend a bit to fit the banana coffin.

But I'm still making noise:

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:53:03 AM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:

I've driven big rigs and busses of late it's RVs I try to be as
accomodation as I can but some folk (thankfully a small sub set) are dumb as
a post and softer when it comes to demanging right of way. Like they say he
was right ... dead right.

I've said the average bus and professional driver have much better training than cyclists, particularly casual riders. In those cases a bike lane works better. Sharrows (shared lanes) are a good way to ride side-by-side and take the lane.

But the training that we need doesn't stop at cyclists. It would take a review of all the licenses and driving practices, such as cell phone usage and lack of lane discipline. Cars speeding on the right lane are most dangerous to bicycles. Some drivers though are openly hostile to cyclists and get away with it.

Bike training stops short of suggesting solutions and this is what my wisdom is all about...

The stated purposes of the shared-lane markings used in California were to:

Assist bicyclists with lateral positioning in a shared lane with on-street parallel parking in order to reduce the chance of a bicyclist’s impacting the open door of a parked vehicle;

Assist bicyclists with lateral positioning in lanes that are too narrow for a motor vehicle and a bicycle to travel side by side within the same traffic lane;

Alert motorists of the lateral location bicyclists are likely to occupy within the traveled way;

Encourage safe passing of bicyclists by motorists; and

Reduce the incidence of wrong-way bicycling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_lane_marking
Old August 20th 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Philosopher" wrote:

Seriously, no Banana Mausoleum. I even did a search and there's no such thing is the annals of human history.

http://www.ecoffins.co.uk/ has banana coffins
http://www.ecoffins.co.uk/productsum...&categoryid2=7
. If you special order, maybe they could even make it in a banana
shape?

Now that I think about it, I want the Banana Mausoleum to be built next to the place of my death (like those marking saying the name of the person that died there) to be a CENTER OF PEREGRINATION...

Cyclists from all around the world, will come to pay their respect and homage (not worshiping) and insist on bike facilities.

That would be another tourist attraction for Miami Beach, hopefully better than the Rap Week.