Back on my mountain bike :(

Old June 16th 10, 09:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Back on my mountain bike :(

On 16/06/2010 8:27 PM, BT Humble wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
On another note, the Gemini MTB actually feels quite good to ride on
despite me not having ridden it for nearly 12mths. The twist gear for
the rear derailleur is a bit stiff and edgy

That's pretty much standard for a grip shifter. If you can dismantle and
lube the cable it'll help a bit.

Nah, lubing it ain't gonna help, I think. I've already had it apart and
lubed. I suspect it is probably just the way I had threaded the cable
back in that's the problem. I'll have to dismantle it and and re-thread
the cable again.

That MTB is due for replacement of the brake and gear cables anyway.
Also, I have easy-rider handle bars which I am planning to put on it so
that one of my sons will find it easier to ride (he can't bend too low
due to a dodgy back).

...but all the gear changes are
good, so I am getting some good speeds on it. Just gotta do something
about the front brakes though - very very dodgy.

V-brake or cantilever? If they're calipers then you have my pity! :-)

Cantilever, so I consider myself comforted by your sympathies

Thanks for all your help and advice so far

No problemo, I'm doing my cycling vicariously through you at the moment
(operational requirements are only leaving me averaging 2 bicycle commutes
per week).

Could have been worse, could have had been one per week
Old June 17th 10, 12:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble[_3_]

Geoff Lock wrote:
Nah, lubing it ain't gonna help, I think. I've already had it apart and
lubed. I suspect it is probably just the way I had threaded the cable
back in that's the problem. I'll have to dismantle it and and re-thread
the cable again.

I like the ease of threading that I get from using those old banjo-style
friction thumb shifters on my MTB. It also means that as I wear out
freewheels I can replace the worn one with any old 5/6/7 speed freewheel
and not have to worry about indexing problems.

Cantilever, so I consider myself comforted by your sympathies

IMHO V-brakes are good, and well worth spending the $30 or so that a
cantilever upgrade kit costs (even those plastic ones from K-Mart work
well). They fit right onto the cantilever brake bosses, and they're much
easier to keep properly adjusted than cantilevers.

Thanks for all your help and advice so far

No problemo, I'm doing my cycling vicariously through you at the moment
(operational requirements are only leaving me averaging 2 bicycle commutes
per week).

Could have been worse, could have had been one per week

Unless I manage a ride tomorrow, this week *will* be a one-timer!

BTH

Posted at www.usenet.com.au