How much is Nike profitting

Old July 31st 04, 01:09 AM
Jiyang Chen

Default How much is Nike profitting

from those Livestrong bands? Since people appreciate what Nike is doing
for the cancer foundation, they'll want to support Nike for what they're
doing by buying Nike stuff. Therefore, Nike is not losing money through
the 5 million dollar donation. I wonder what happens after they sold
all the rest of the 4 million bands. Does Nike get $1 for every band
from the people buying them, thinking that the $1 will go to LAF?

Jiyang Chen

Old July 31st 04, 02:12 AM

"Jiyang Chen" writes:

from those Livestrong bands? Since people appreciate what Nike is doing
for the cancer foundation, they'll want to support Nike for what they're
doing by buying Nike stuff. Therefore, Nike is not losing money through
the 5 million dollar donation. I wonder what happens after they sold
all the rest of the 4 million bands. Does Nike get $1 for every band
from the people buying them, thinking that the $1 will go to LAF?

Jiyang Chen

Nike is profit oriented. They will stop at nothing to make a buck

http://www.sportspickle.com/features...217-santa.html

http://www.eclectica.org/v2n3/raut_memo.html

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/01/Mar/sweatshop.html

******z, Right mate?
Old July 31st 04, 02:34 AM
Sam

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
from those Livestrong bands? Since people appreciate what Nike is doing
for the cancer foundation, they'll want to support Nike for what they're
doing by buying Nike stuff. Therefore, Nike is not losing money through
the 5 million dollar donation. I wonder what happens after they sold
all the rest of the 4 million bands. Does Nike get $1 for every band
from the people buying them, thinking that the $1 will go to LAF?

Jiyang Chen

If Nike does not do as it has said, you are free to take them to court. Why
would they not do it and risk losing the goodwill of so many potential
customers? I guess some people will always think of corporations as evil.

Now who pays your salary?

Old July 31st 04, 06:47 AM
Richard Adams

Jiyang Chen wrote:

from those Livestrong bands? Since people appreciate what Nike is doing
for the cancer foundation, they'll want to support Nike for what they're
doing by buying Nike stuff. Therefore, Nike is not losing money through
the 5 million dollar donation. I wonder what happens after they sold
all the rest of the 4 million bands. Does Nike get $1 for every band
from the people buying them, thinking that the $1 will go to LAF?

Jiyang Chen

As I understand, Nike gave the bands to LAF.org to sell, plus $1M, then
the initial 5M bands ran out and more were made. This would be a
flyspec in their ledgers and probably a nice write off and PR to boot.
How much do you think the production costs and airing of only one
commercial costs them?

Old July 31st 04, 02:14 PM
Carl Sundquist

"AC" wrote in message
Nike makes plenty of money since they basicallly use slave labour to

produce
their products.

Tier III racers living the 12K dream?

Old July 31st 04, 03:41 PM
J. Tanoga

"Sam" wrote in message ink.net...
"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
from those Livestrong bands? Since people appreciate what Nike is doing
for the cancer foundation, they'll want to support Nike for what they're
doing by buying Nike stuff. Therefore, Nike is not losing money through
the 5 million dollar donation. I wonder what happens after they sold
all the rest of the 4 million bands. Does Nike get $1 for every band
from the people buying them, thinking that the $1 will go to LAF?

Jiyang Chen

If Nike does not do as it has said, you are free to take them to court. Why
would they not do it and risk losing the goodwill of so many potential
customers? I guess some people will always think of corporations as evil.

Now who pays your salary?

Well, considering that the yellow bands are often given out for free
and associated with Nike and other corporate marketing materials
without any attachment to LAF fundraising solicitation, I don't see
how the whole promotion does much more than sell brand names...and
Lance's image. I think we are all being taken for a ride here...and
that includes the cancer community.