Linear pull brake levers???

Old September 23rd 04, 08:44 PM
Pizza Man

Default Linear pull brake levers???

I am considering upgrading my V brakes from entry level Tektro to SRAM
9.0 Linear pull brakes (or some other quality mid level V brake).

I am a recreational rider, but still want a decent set of brakes under
me. I'm sure I can do better than the entry level brakes that came
with the bike, but don't have need for anything like racers or
aggressive bike bashers might use.

I want something simple, rugged and reliable. After reading brake
reviews at MTB review, the SRAM 9.0 brakes look like a good fit for
me.

My question is brake levers. On the MTB review website it states
"compatible with linear pull brake levers". My bike came equipped with
Shimano ST-EF29-B combo brake lever/shifters. I don't have any
negative issues with these components and would like to keep them for
now.

So far I am unable to determine if my existing brake levers are linear
pull. I've searched the web but only find thousands of bikes that have
this component installed. Nothing at the Shimano web site either.

Are these brake levers linear pull? Is there a way that I can tell
from looking at them if they are linear pull?

Thanks, Tracy
Old September 23rd 04, 09:00 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Pizza Man wrote:
I am considering upgrading my V brakes from entry level Tektro to SRAM
9.0 Linear pull brakes (or some other quality mid level V brake).

Are these brake levers linear pull? Is there a way that I can tell
from looking at them if they are linear pull?

As far as I know, V brakes ARE linear pull brakes.
Old September 23rd 04, 10:59 PM
tcmedara

Pizza Man wrote:

My question is brake levers. On the MTB review website it states
"compatible with linear pull brake levers". My bike came equipped with
Shimano ST-EF29-B combo brake lever/shifters. I don't have any
negative issues with these components and would like to keep them for
now.

So far I am unable to determine if my existing brake levers are linear
pull. I've searched the web but only find thousands of bikes that have
this component installed. Nothing at the Shimano web site either.

Are these brake levers linear pull? Is there a way that I can tell
from looking at them if they are linear pull?

My son has the same brake/shifter unit on his bike. It's actually a Shimano
ST-EF29-8 vice "B" (the 8 denoting # of speeds). Managed to find some info
on the Shimano Europe site: http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/ .

They also had a nice PDF exploded view of the shifter itself. Nice to have
if pieces go flying when taking it apart: http://tinyurl.com/6sdef

......and yes linear pull and v-brakes are the same animal. Good info here
(Park Tool site): http://tinyurl.com/6sdef

Good luck

Tom

Old September 23rd 04, 11:20 PM

someone writes:

I am considering upgrading my V brakes from entry level Tektro to
SRAM 9.0 Linear pull brakes (or some other quality mid level V
brake).

Are these brake levers linear pull? Is there a way that I can tell
from looking at them if they are linear pull?

As far as I know, V brakes ARE linear pull brakes.

I guess I missed that definition. What is a linear pull brake?

Jobst Brandt

Old September 24th 04, 12:00 AM
Booker C. Bense

Old September 24th 04, 02:56 AM

Tom C Medara writes:

I am considering upgrading my V brakes from entry level Tektro to
SRAM 9.0 Linear pull brakes (or some other quality mid level V
brake).

Are these brake levers linear pull? Is there a way that I can
tell from looking at them if they are linear pull?

As far as I know, V brakes ARE linear pull brakes.

I guess I missed that definition. What is a linear pull brake?

Hehehehehe, I guess if it's not on pavement the good Mr Jobst's
knowledge of bicyles is similar to his grasp of international
affairs.

Google is your friend...

http://bikegallery.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=179

That's fine but what is "linear" about this and how do you define it.
I see no difference between that and a sidepull brake where ends of
levers get pulled together.

Could you explain to what "linear pull" refers? That in contrast to
other brakes.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 24th 04, 03:27 AM
tcmedara

Tom C Medara writes:

[...]

I haven't a clue why they're called that. I presume it's due to the fact
that the cable runs (sorta) directly from one brake arm to the next, as
opposed to the straddle cable found on cantilevers that these brakes
essentially replaced on most off road bicycles. I assume "they" decided
there needed to be a name for a new style of brakes to help distunguish it
from other types of rim caliper brakes.

Best definition I could find was good ol' Sheldon Brown's web site
(admittedly I didn't spend long):

V-Brake ®
A Shimano trademark for a direct-pull cantilever brake. This is a cantilever
which does not use a separate transverse cable. It has two tall arms, one of
which has a housing stop and the other an anchor bolt. The exposed part of
the cable runs horizontally from one arm to the other.
V-Brakes and other direct-pull cantilevers have more mechanical advantage
than other brakes, so they require special hand levers with
less-than-average mechanical advantage to keep the overall mechanical
advantage in a useful range.

Some V-Brakes also incorporate a parallelogram linkage which mantains the
shoe at the correct angle as it approaches the rim. This feature also allows
the motion of the shoe to be more nearly horizontal than conventional
cantilevers.

"V-Brake" is a Shimano trademark.

Of course you didn't ask "Why are they called linear pull brakes?", you
asked "What are linear pull brakes?" I hopefully have provided a good
pictoral example of the latter, and a plausible explaination of the former.

Tom

Old September 24th 04, 05:12 AM
Sheldon Brown

Jobst Brandt asked:

Could you explain to what "linear pull" refers? That in contrast to
other brakes.

Actually, the proper distinction is "linear pull" _cantilevers_ as
distinct from traditional center-pull cantilevers.

Center-pull brakes, either calipers or cantilevers are distinctly
non-linear in response.

I cover this in some detail at: http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.

Linear-pull cantilevers, such as Shimano's "V-Brakes" are, by comparison
basically linear in terms of pad movement vs cable movement.

Traditional sidepulls are also linear in response, but to refer to them
as "linear pull" brakes would be sort of like calling an Ashtabula crank
a "cotterless" crank: technically correct, but idiomatically inappropriate.

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary" Brown
| Man invented language to satisfy his |
| deep need to complain. -- Lily Tomlin |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 24th 04, 05:21 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:44:33 -0700, Pizza Man wrote:

I am considering upgrading my V brakes from entry level Tektro to SRAM 9.0
Linear pull brakes (or some other quality mid level V brake).

I am a recreational rider, but still want a decent set of brakes under me.
I'm sure I can do better than the entry level brakes that came with the
bike, but don't have need for anything like racers or aggressive bike
bashers might use.

What makes you think that there is something wrong with the brakes you
have? A brake, after all, is a very simple mechanism. As long as it can
be adjusted so that the pads don't rub, and still can grab the front wheel
tight enough to send you over the bars (not that you want to do that, but
the brakes should be capable of that much force), there is no
"performance" advantage to any other brake. Even entry-level brakes
rarely, if ever, fail. Only the really cheapo department-store brakes
should be replaced as a matter of safety.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos