Pushing a bicycle illegal

Old January 8th 05, 02:02 AM
alan

Default Pushing a bicycle illegal

Ed Chasteen, a cyclist with multiple sclerosis, was charged with
"pushing a bicycle" in Lawson, Missouri, population 2300, in an
area where bicycle travel is prohibited both on the street and
the adjacent sidewalks of the business district. Local law
forbids even pushing a bike. The area has several "No Bicycles"
signs, but Mr. Chasteen assumed they were to prevent riding a
bicycle on the sidewalk.

His trial was held January 4th. Lawson's mayor, chief of police,
and the officer who wrote Chasteen's ticket all testified.
Chasteen's attorney asked questions during the trial indicating
that Lawson's previous city prosecutor had refused to file the
case as unprosecutable. Although the judge refused to allow the
questions, a different prosecutor was handling the case.

Chasteen's attorney argued that the law is unconstitutionally
vague, includes an inappropriate penalty designed for parents of
children, and violates the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Parents who permit violations by their children may be charged
with a misdemeanor.

Local media reports erroneously indicated that Lawson's mayor is
against any changes to the "no bicycle zone" law. Lawson City
Manager John Tracy indicates that an update to the law is in fact
on the agenda for this spring. Lawson is looking at bicycle law
in nearby cities as a model, and will work with local bicyclists
and bicycle groups, as well as local citizens. Note, however,
that at least some local citizens support the bicycle ban.

The judge will consider the case and issue a verdict within 10
days.

Chasteen's group rides to Lawson about once every 5 weeks. In
July, he was entering a restaurant when he met Lawson's Police
Chief, who ordered him to remove his bicycle from the street.
Mr. Chasteen refused, and the Chief had a waiting officer ticket
him for the offense.

Mr. Chasteen first encountered the police in May of 2004, when
police told a group of cyclist volunteers supporting a local MS
ride that they could not ride in Lawson.

For more information:
http://www.mobikefed.org/2005/01/cyc...sclerosis.html
http://www.hatebusters.com/article.a...0&NavButton=06
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...71/detail.html

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

Old January 8th 05, 02:13 AM
Brian Wax

This is so insane. The police chief should be fired for being such a weak
character. It should be a non issue and the judge should tell the city
manager that the chief needs to be tuned up. What a god damn mockery of the
system.

Old January 8th 05, 03:50 AM
Bill Baka

alan wrote:
Ed Chasteen, a cyclist with multiple sclerosis, was charged with
"pushing a bicycle" in Lawson, Missouri, population 2300, in an
area where bicycle travel is prohibited both on the street and
the adjacent sidewalks of the business district. Local law
forbids even pushing a bike.

Was he supposed to carry it over his head?

The area has several "No Bicycles"
signs, but Mr. Chasteen assumed they were to prevent riding a
bicycle on the sidewalk.

His trial was held January 4th. Lawson's mayor, chief of police,
and the officer who wrote Chasteen's ticket all testified.

The first 3 idiots, err assholes.

Chasteen's attorney asked questions during the trial indicating
that Lawson's previous city prosecutor had refused to file the
case as unprosecutable.

One honest man, at least.

Although the judge refused to allow the
questions, a different prosecutor was handling the case.

Idiot/asshole number 4.

Chasteen's attorney argued that the law is unconstitutionally
vague, includes an inappropriate penalty designed for parents of
children, and violates the Americans with Disabilities Act.

So this town considers riding even for a charity to be illegal?
Has anybody informed the governor of the state that some house cleaning
needs to be done?

Parents who permit violations by their children may be charged
with a misdemeanor.

I suppose they have a sign at the entrance to town that reads something
like "A wonderful place to live.", yeah, right.

Local media reports erroneously indicated that Lawson's mayor is
against any changes to the "no bicycle zone" law. Lawson City
Manager John Tracy indicates that an update to the law is in fact
on the agenda for this spring.

He is about 50 years behind in his work.

Lawson is looking at bicycle law
in nearby cities as a model, and will work with local bicyclists
and bicycle groups, as well as local citizens. Note, however,
that at least some local citizens support the bicycle ban.

Ban their damn cars and make them walk, as in speed limits of 5 MPH.
Ticket the dumb asses if they run too fast.

The judge will consider the case and issue a verdict within 10
days.

If he says "Guilty" the state if not the feds should come down on him
hard, like a loaded cruise missile.

Chasteen's group rides to Lawson about once every 5 weeks. In
July, he was entering a restaurant when he met Lawson's Police
Chief, who ordered him to remove his bicycle from the street.
Mr. Chasteen refused, and the Chief had a waiting officer ticket
him for the offense.

Sure sounds like a corrupt little "Dukes of Hazzard" town to me.

Mr. Chasteen first encountered the police in May of 2004, when
police told a group of cyclist volunteers supporting a local MS
ride that they could not ride in Lawson.

A nice place not too live, shop in, drive through, or sell to. Boycott
the assholes out of their prissy little town.
I had a great day until I read this.
Bill Baka, with one less place to ever ride.

Old January 8th 05, 06:12 PM
Maggie

Bill Baka wrote:
alan wrote:
[...]

I don't think any comment on that action is necessary but the one
repeated word I read in your response. ASSHOLES! Maybe you can make
it two words..Idiots and Assholes. Makes me want to work harder and
train harder for the MS ride in May.
Maggie.

Old January 9th 05, 12:46 AM
RonSonic

http://www.northwestmissouri.com/hometowns.asp

http://www.mondotimes.com/1/world/us/25/1434

Start working the media kids. Let 'em know how ya feel about this little goober
suburb of ****-heel KC.

Ron

Old January 9th 05, 10:15 AM
Bill Baka

Maggie,

OK, I overused the 'A' word but I was too tired to write a publishable
version of my thoughts. What would be a better word that one can print?
Jerks^~? I hope you can interpret my version of math shorthand there.
It's the only way to do a raised to the power of infinity with a
standard keyboard.
Tired tonight too, too much visiting friends and zero riding for a week.
They keep coming over and picking me up in their cars, but hey, that's
what friends are for, right?
Tired Bill, saying bye now,
Bill Baka

Old January 9th 05, 02:01 PM
Maggie

Bill Baka wrote:
Maggie,

Tired tonight too, too much visiting friends and zero riding for a
week.
They keep coming over and picking me up in their cars, but hey,

that's
what friends are for, right?
Tired Bill, saying bye now,
Bill Baka

I went to a HS class reunion party last night. We seem to have them
once a month since so many of us stayed in the same town where we
graduated. There was way too much wine, way too much fun, way, way, way
too much food and way to many old pictures of us with strange hair do's
and I am hungover. I am hung over and getting ready to pick up my
daughter to go to church. AND YOU THINK YOU ARE TIRED? I did meet an
old classmate last night who actually rides long distrance. I was able
to hold a pretty decent conversation about bike riding. I think it had
something to do with the fact that I did not have to figure out how to
post, I think I can carry on a fairly intelligent cycling conversation
if I am not worried about my posting style. He told me that he posts to
usenet occasionally and I was telling him of my experiences with this
group. He tells me all usenet groups are the same.....none of them stay
on topic. He posts to quite a few and all stray off topic. But he
considers that part of the fun. He found the folding bike thread which
turned into my me defending how responsible my son was quite amusing.
Maggie.

Old January 9th 05, 03:14 PM
alan

The original intent of that law may have been to keep children off the
street, thereby keeping them safe. Yet the law expressly forbids even
pushing a bicycle in that area. How does that contirbute to safety? Now I
could see prohibiting the Ben Hur model strollers (prams to you Brits).
They're the ones with the axles that can take your hide off at the ankle
much like those rotating knives on Ben's chariot.

Regardless, the judge's ruling should be out later this week. The other
interesting thing is the statement about changing the law somtime later this
year, maybe in the spring. I'd think that with mayor/council form of local
government, they could put a repeal on the agenda and repeal it at the next
council meeting. That implies that they really want to repeal it. A delay
could be interpreted as a wish that those pesky cyclists would simply go
away.
--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Case law in the UK has it that a bicycle when pushed is classed as a
burden, so exempt from restrictions on cycling. I guess this is why
it was originally written off as unprosecutable, because it is a test
case where all public sympathy would be on the side of Mr Chasteen.

Guy

Old January 9th 05, 05:36 PM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Ed Chasteen, a cyclist with multiple sclerosis, was charged with
"pushing a bicycle" in Lawson, Missouri, population 2300, in an

SNIP

Case law in the UK has it that a bicycle when pushed is classed as a
burden, so exempt from restrictions on cycling.

Just a couple of random thoughts. First of all, if he'd been pulling a
little red wagon, or one of those folding wire dollies that people
sometimes take shopping, would that have been illegal too? Somehow I
doubt it. I think the UK has it right, if you ain't riding it, it ain't a
bike. Wonder what they'd have said if he'd been carrying it?
Second, as the father of a PWMS, I applaud Ed for fighting his illness
by riding. Cycling, with its requirements of balance, sensation, and
control, is excellent therapy for a horrible illness. Any cop, judge, or
mayor who would impede him in any way is utterly heartless. And all those
other words that the rest of you have been using, too.

Bill

| Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, |
| misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies. |
| -Groucho Marx |
Old January 9th 05, 09:39 PM

RonSonic wrote:
http://www.northwestmissouri.com/hometowns.asp

http://www.mondotimes.com/1/world/us/25/1434

Start working the media kids. Let 'em know how ya feel about this

little goober
suburb of ****-heel KC.

You can find mail, phone, & email for some Lawson city leaders he

http://www.mobikefed.org/2005/01/nat...-story-on.html

(scroll down to end of article)

I would urge people, if you contact them, to keep it civil and
persuasive as opposed to abusive, though . . . these small town
midwestern types are likely to have a nasty counter-reaction if they
feel like out-of-towners-who-say-naughty-words are trying push them
around (uh, not that any of us around here are ever abusive or use
naughty words . . . ).

On the other hand I think they'll listen to reasonable argument
especially if they hear it over & over again both from inside & outside
.. . .

They probably DO need to hear it over & over again, though.

--B