Water Bottle Solutions?

Old June 15th 04, 02:28 PM

Default Water Bottle Solutions?

Hi,

Another question about my FrankenBike. It's a Puch Prima frame and
there are no mounts for a water bottle cage. I would prefer to avoid
wearing a hydration pack -- what possible solutions are there for
keeping water on the frame? Are there any brands of cages that can
attach without the requisite mounts?

Thanks.
Old June 15th 04, 02:39 PM
Doki

wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Another question about my FrankenBike. It's a Puch Prima frame and
there are no mounts for a water bottle cage. I would prefer to avoid
wearing a hydration pack -- what possible solutions are there for
keeping water on the frame? Are there any brands of cages that can
attach without the requisite mounts?

I've seen brackets that bolt around the frame tubes and have the mounts for
bottle cages on. I think on SJS Cycles' website.

Old June 15th 04, 02:45 PM
Dave

Profile makes the "Aqua Rack" where you clamp it onto the seatpost and the
cages sit behind the saddle. I use it for really long race/rides so I can
get 4 bottles on the bike without having to keep any in my jersey. I think
it's about US $30 including the cages...

Old June 15th 04, 02:46 PM
David Damerell

wrote:
Another question about my FrankenBike. It's a Puch Prima frame and
there are no mounts for a water bottle cage. I would prefer to avoid
wearing a hydration pack -- what possible solutions are there for
keeping water on the frame? Are there any brands of cages that can
attach without the requisite mounts?

Any cage can be attached with two big jubilee clips over the positions
where the bolts would go.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Old June 15th 04, 03:04 PM
mark

wrote
Hi,

Another question about my FrankenBike. It's a Puch Prima frame and
there are no mounts for a water bottle cage. I would prefer to avoid
wearing a hydration pack -- what possible solutions are there for
keeping water on the frame? Are there any brands of cages that can
attach without the requisite mounts?

Thanks.

Hose clamps (used to secure coolant hoses to a car's radiator) work quite
nicely with any water bottle cage I've seen. Put a layer of electrician's
tape around the frame tube before installing the clamp if you're worried
about marring the paint.
--
mark

Old June 15th 04, 04:07 PM
Ronald

Another question about my FrankenBike. It's a Puch Prima frame and
there are no mounts for a water bottle cage. I would prefer to

avoid
wearing a hydration pack -- what possible solutions are there for
keeping water on the frame? Are there any brands of cages that can
attach without the requisite mounts?

If it has round tubes Zefal Gizmo's are the nicest solution:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/GIZMO.JPG

Old June 15th 04, 04:43 PM
David Newman

In article ,
wrote:

Are there any brands of cages that can
attach without the requisite mounts?

See
http://www.twofishunlimited.com/bike.html

They appear to have two styles now, one with a stainless steel cage, and
an older one with a plastic cage. I've used the older plastic cage
successfully, but I've never seen the new stainless steel cages in
person.
Old June 15th 04, 07:15 PM
HardwareLust

Dave wrote:
Profile makes the "Aqua Rack" where you clamp it onto the seatpost
and the cages sit behind the saddle. I use it for really long
race/rides so I can get 4 bottles on the bike without having to keep
any in my jersey. I think it's about US $30 including the cages...

Do you actually like those Profile cages? I was looking at one of those
Aqua Rack's in the store last weekend, but it seemed to me that the cages
held the standard size bottles just waaay too tightly. (Unless I'm being
stupid, and it's made for those new smaller bottles?)

Old June 15th 04, 10:04 PM
Dave

Actually, they work pretty well. I use all std size bottles, large and
small ones. The cages hold it snugly, but not too tight. I actually like
it that I can put my hand behind my back, grab the bottle, and it slips in
nicely when I put it back. Much more of a smooth and natural motion I
think, than reaching down to the seat or downtube cage and then getting it
back in there. Took a little getting used to in finding it to put it back,
but I like it in general.

The biggest problem is that some of the guys I race with keep calling me a
tri geek and making fun of it ;-)

"HardwareLust" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Profile makes the "Aqua Rack" where you clamp it onto the seatpost
and the cages sit behind the saddle. I use it for really long
race/rides so I can get 4 bottles on the bike without having to keep
any in my jersey. I think it's about US $30 including the cages...

Do you actually like those Profile cages? I was looking at one of those
Aqua Rack's in the store last weekend, but it seemed to me that the cages
held the standard size bottles just waaay too tightly. (Unless I'm being
stupid, and it's made for those new smaller bottles?)

Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest? chris General 77 July 27th 04 01:46 AM
water bottle mounting MarkR General 8 May 20th 04 08:55 PM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM