Lessons Learned

Old September 21st 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

Default Lessons Learned

You would think that the older we get we would stop learning things the
hard way. Today was the City to the Sea ride in Jacksonville NC in
which tomkarches (who I met thanks to this forum) came from Raleigh NC
to ride with me. It is a 21 mile ride on mostly flat terrain. The first
thing I learned was crank size. I had been riding with 140 cranks
because I felt like I had more control in the city environment. This
was rural. The 140's are fine for 10 miles-ish. I definitely needed the
125's. I know you guys use smaller ones but I do not think I would do
well with them yet. I used the 125's last year ( the first time I rode
it) and it was fine. The 140's wore me out! Therein lies lesson two. I
did not hydrate enough. So hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE! We were a mile
from the end of the ride when my left thigh TOTALLY locked. UGH! Talk
about a UPD. I must have been on the ground for 5-10 minutes trying to
get that quad to unlock. There is lesson 3. Ride with somebody on the
longer rides. Tom really came in handy helping me get the leg unlocked
and securing the precious uni's from traffic. Thanks Tom! Given I have
passed the age of having to prove something to myself I took a ride the
last leg. I did not want to lock up again. Tom on the other hand
finished in style. It was a lot of fun riding with someone else and a
perfect day for a ride. So far the City to the Sea ride has only had
one uni finisher each of the last 2 years. I got last year and Tom took
it to the finish line this year. You are all welcome next year! Hope to
hear what tomkarches has to say about the ride.

--
rem48
Old September 22nd 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Sounds like you learned a bunch of really important things.

What wheel size are you riding on?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old September 22nd 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

I was riding a nimbus 36" w/a TA tire... and now some new scratches! Ha!

--
rem48

Lotoja - Lessons Learned SYJ Techniques 3 September 14th 06 06:58 AM
Lessons I've learned that you already knew... Hell and High Water General 43 August 29th 05 04:00 PM
lessons! Antimatter Unicycling 2 December 1st 04 03:22 AM
need lessons mjssis Unicycling 3 August 18th 04 05:36 PM
Road rage incident & lessons learned andrew UK 16 April 28th 04 09:22 PM