Cracked rim

Old April 17th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Francisco Sanchez

Default Cracked rim

Hello all,

my rear wheel has developed cracks in two eyelets. The rim is a DT Swiss
RR1.1 / 32 holes. I buyed the wheelset 1 year ago from a German shop
(I'm from Spain) so it would be expensive to return them for repairing.
I asked them to build the rear wheel with double eyelets but I'm not
sure if they finally used single eyelets instead.

My question is the following: is this dangerous, or just a cosmetic
issue?

Saludos,
Francisco Sanchez

Old April 18th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Francisco Sanchez wrote:

Hello all,

my rear wheel has developed cracks in two eyelets. The rim is a DT
Swiss RR1.1 / 32 holes. I buyed the wheelset 1 year ago from a German
shop (I'm from Spain) so it would be expensive to return them for
repairing. I asked them to build the rear wheel with double eyelets
but I'm not sure if they finally used single eyelets instead.

My question is the following: is this dangerous, or just a cosmetic
issue?

The rim has failed and needs to be replaced.
Old April 18th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Francisco Sanchez[_2_]

Hi Colin,

Have you contacted the German shop and told them of your problem?

Still not, I wanted to know if I can go with those cracks without
problem, but it looks like I'll have to rebuild the wheel. I suppose the
shop will ask me to send them the wheel so they can fix it, but that
would surely take a lot of time and I'd have to pay shipping. In any
case I'll try it.

Regards,
Francisco Sanchez

Old April 19th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Francisco Sanchez wrote:
Hello all,

my rear wheel has developed cracks in two eyelets. The rim is a DT Swiss
RR1.1 / 32 holes. I buyed the wheelset 1 year ago from a German shop
(I'm from Spain) so it would be expensive to return them for repairing.
I asked them to build the rear wheel with double eyelets but I'm not
sure if they finally used single eyelets instead.

My question is the following: is this dangerous, or just a cosmetic
issue?

Saludos,
Francisco Sanchez

mostly cosmetic initially, but it will get worse over time and problems
keeping the wheel true will become progressively worse.

the rim cracked because the spokes are over-tensioned. it will need to
be replaced, but this time, make sure the drive side spokes are within
the rim manufacturer's tension spec. use loctite [or linseed oil] if
there are any problems with the non-drive side spokes.

cracked rim jim beam Techniques 81 December 1st 06 04:03 AM
Cracked up. D. Ferguson Racing 30 August 10th 05 07:30 AM
Cracked a nut Andrew Chadwick UK 4 July 19th 05 12:21 PM
Cracked nut soup Techniques 16 May 15th 05 05:37 PM
Ack, Cracked my last one Ground Control Mountain Biking 22 October 14th 04 03:42 AM