Digital SLR Camera discussion thread

Old September 2nd 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

Default Digital SLR Camera discussion thread

Just like "filmers discussion thread" but for Digital SLR cameras.

I'll start:

Well, I am thinking of buying a Digital SLR camera sometime. But want
to research what is best and learn more about it.

How is the Canon Powershot S5 IS? I wanna pay like $400 at the very
most.

I'm quite new, so...just help me out on what's best and all.

Thanks,

-Isaac

--
isaac steiner
Old September 2nd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

This is probably the wrong forum for it, maybe just conversation would
be more appopriate.

Having said that, I hope Gilby keeps it on RSU. I think it's something
lot's of unicyclists are interested in (getting good riding shots).

Look forward to seeing some of the replies. I'm saving up for a
digital SLR myself.

Cheers

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.
Old September 2nd 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ian.stockwell

Are you certain that the Canon you quote is an SLR?
It looks to me that it is a regular digital in the style of an SLR,
nothing wrong with that, my Fuji camera is exactly that type of thing
and I have been perfectly happy with that for several years.
I believe that the SLR Canons are branded EOS rather than Powershot.

--
ian.stockwell

All generalisations are dangerous, even this one.
Old September 2nd 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

A digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera would cost a lot more than
$400.

Take a look at the Canon PowerShot A620. I have one and it takes great
unicycling photos. I bought mine 2 years ago for $337 US. That included
shipping.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
heals the disease. - Voltaire
Old September 2nd 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

Yeah, now I am really wanting the Nixon D40.

http://tinyurl.com/6nwwo5

How is that?

-Isaac

--
isaac steiner
Old September 2nd 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ian.stockwell

isaac steiner wrote:
Yeah, now I am really wanting the Nixon D40.

Is that not a Nikon, the Nixon will probably look fine to start with
and then do something underhand and illegal.

Old September 2nd 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

isaac steiner wrote:
Yeah, now I am really wanting the Nixon D40.

http://tinyurl.com/6nwwo5

How is that?

-Isaac

The Nikon D40 is a great camera. I bought one almost a year ago, and
have found it fantastic. As an entry level DSLR it is perfect. Ok,
6mp isn't that high compared to some cameras, and there are some natty
little features it doesn't have, but I'd still recommend one to anyone
looking in to getting in to photography.

I'll point out though that I'm not a great photographer myself -
however, with this camera it makes me look like I know what I'm doing
and turns out really good results too

Just to keep this on topic for RSU, have a look at some of the photos I
took at Ride The Lobster with this camera; http://tinyurl.com/6k95fb

Edit: Some of those photos were taken with a bigger lens than the
standard 18-55mm it comes with. I bought a 200 and a 300mm zoom lens,
which I used for the eagle and moon shots.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old September 2nd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

isaac steiner wrote:
Yeah, now I am really wanting the Nixon D40.

http://tinyurl.com/6nwwo5

How is that?

-Isaac

That is a great camera for the price, however, in today's standards it
has a rather low pixel count. I would also recommend looking at BH
Photo rather than somewhere like BestBuy. True camera stores have much
more background knowledge.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/user/RookieFilming) 'Vimeo'
(http://www.vimeo.com/user496125)

The UniSLAB wrote:
Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called
flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em

2nd Place*)---', 6ft Static Gap
Old September 2nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

So the Nikon D40 is a good choice.

What about the 'Sony DSC-H50' (http://tinyurl.com/5dx6gm)?

-Isaac

--
isaac steiner
Old September 2nd 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

isaac steiner wrote:
So the Nikon D40 is a good choice.

What about the 'Sony DSC-H50' (http://tinyurl.com/5dx6gm)?

-Isaac

I was looking at that Sony actually. It had a good review in the local
paper.
http://tinyurl.com/5g5wum
But over here in Aussie...it costs almost twice as much.

I think I might be getting a Panasonic TZ15 as a point and shoot camera
and maybe the Sony DSLR or a Canon.