Boy did I just get yelled at

Old October 3rd 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Default Boy did I just get yelled at

I was enjoying a low-key jaunt in a nearby neighborhood with my son this
evening. I was on the uni, he was roller-blading. I turned a corner on
to fairly busy street and there were several kids out playing on the
left side, with their backs to me. I veered right, slowed down to a
virtual crawl, then of course one of them starts running backwards
towards me. I yell to watch out, pretty much stop in place, but the kid
still runs into me and knocks me over. Mom comes running to the rescue
and proceeds to dress me down, yelling at me for having the nerve to be
riding "that thing" on a busy street and be a hazard for her 8-year-old
prince. My son even tried to tell her I was hardly moving. The kid was
perfectly fine, despite her efforts to look over every square inch of
him for any damage. I apologized of course, but she was still hurling
venom at me as we left. Geez! And I thought I was going for a nice
relaxing jaunt. In my opinion, too many parents are WAY too protective
of their kids these days. Fear, fear, fear, terror, terror, terror. What
have we become? Anyway excuse the rant. I feel better just writing this.

--
munimutant
Old October 3rd 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

FWIW, if you had just been walking and the kid had run into you, you
would have gotten the same treatment. The unicycle just gave her a
little extra ammo.

My wife teaches 1st and 2nd grade, and has parents like this all the
time. Basically, they're impossible to please.

Sorry it happened to you--nothing worse than having some recreation
ruined by some jerky behavior.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old October 3rd 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

You're probably right. I feel sorry for what your wife has to put up
with. Hopefully it's just a minority.

--
munimutant
Old October 3rd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

Parents are so busy coddling their kids today. Whatever happened to
taking an adults word over a child's? All she is doing is teaching the
kid to place the blame for his mistakes on someone else.

--
rem48
Old October 3rd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
videotoast

Wow....I am thankful I am not that protective of my son...he has to
learn to dust himself off, and keep going....

....as a matter of fact we have weekend training sessions where I
routinely push him off the swingset at the playground...its about an 8'
drop....what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, right?

(is your sarcasm detector on....)

--
videotoast
Old October 3rd 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Haha,

Sorry for the rough encounter. Dumb mother of course. I would have
thanked you, maybe an important lesson for the kid to watch where he is
going.

Yea, I agree. Parents are much to protective of their kids these days.
I have to second guess myself when a youngster shows interest in what I
am doing when I ride by. Chances are if I stop some all to protective
parent will assume I am some predator out to get there precious little
one.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old October 3rd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
crazyjoe

Wow. That sucks. She should have been yelling at her son for running
backwards on a street without looking. That sounds dangerous to me. If
it were my mom, she would have apologized to you a hundred times before
"having a word" with me.

--
crazyjoe

*'uniproshop.com' (http://uniproshop.com)*
*'MySpace' (http://myspace.com/myspace_joespace)*
*'deviantART' (http://thecrazyjoe.deviantart.com/)*
Old October 3rd 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

Wow.

These are the people that should have just not had children in the
first place.

I can't imagine her son turning out well.

What's sad is how common this motherly idiocy is.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca
Old October 3rd 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Detol* over all the cuttlery and sufaces i'm sure

*anit-bacterial

--
thejdw

-I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!-
Old October 3rd 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scoope

I would have given that "mother" a piece of my mind - it would probably
have been quite colorful too!

--
scoope