can it be done? Schlumpf gear on Coker hub

Old August 28th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
leadpan

Default can it be done? Schlumpf gear on Coker hub

I noticed the Schlumpf hub has 36spokes like the Airfoil rim I have on
my Coker. I wonder if the Schlumpf hub can be put into the Airfoil.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=996

Thanks.

--
leadpan

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 28th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

It's certainly possible although you would need to get a special frame
for it or possibly modify the frame you currently have. I don't know a
lot about the subject though I do know that the hub has to connect to
the frame somehow. Notice those extra bolts on the frame in the closeup
shot of the hub in the link you sent.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - *The First
Serious Unicycle Computer Game* - -Simple multiplayer muni concept demo
soon.-*
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 28th 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Yeah, the hub has "torque arms" that need to bolt to the frame. The
Nimbus frame apparently has holes just in the right place to hold it
though

The bigger problem, though, is that the hub is insanely narrow - I
think more narrow than the standard Coker hub, and this makes for a
very weak wheel.

A better bet would be to wait for the KH/Schlumpf geared hub, which
will have much wider flange spacing, will be ISIS, and will be
stronger.

And yes, it has been done before

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 28th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Voila, schlumpf coker. There were several around last summer and no
doubt more by now, this frame is actually the early aluminium schlumpf
frame that came before clamp one currently available. It's me riding,
but this is actually loosemoose's. I never really got the hang of it
geared up even with the 165mm cranks on it, but loose can ride at coker
speeds with a very low cadence.

|Filename: CIMG4473small.JPG |

kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 28th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

That's cool, I didn't know there were other Schlumpf Cokers at Unicon
last summer. 'I rode Roger Davies''
(http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/2480482#130140839) in the
Marathon, finishing in around 2:15.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

John,
you missed out on my Schlumpf Penny Farthing at Unicon, that was much
easier to ride...

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
http://www.usenet.com

[Schlumpf Questions] Gear Shifting semach.the.monkey Unicycling 2 July 11th 07 01:06 PM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM
Schlumpf vs. Coker oxfordrider Unicycling 13 February 25th 05 03:42 PM
Schlumpf gear-change unicycle hub prototype revealed willfcc Unicycling 25 April 6th 04 10:07 AM