Unicycle Mantras etc

Old August 27th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Narniacat

Default Unicycle Mantras etc

I just started riding last week and I have a unicycle mantra. Sort of
like the little engine that could's "I think i can i think i can." I
say "You can do this. You can do this. You did it before and you can
do it again" along with "Pedal pedal pedal..." before I ride and during
my ride. Also, right before I start I visualize myself doing whatever
I plan on attempting.

Anyone else have any Unicycle mantras/rituals for before, during, or
after a ride?

--
Narniacat

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new b*cycle. Then I
realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked
Him to forgive me. ~Emo Philips

Give a man fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is
warm for the rest of his life.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

I got my mantra from forum-member "aspenmike", for the hill climb races
I do.

"Pain is a good thing."

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

I believe I can, I believe I can.

And "You can do it, pedal, pedal"

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bobousse

always the same number of hops before trying a tricks for flatland
when i'm learning them...
always trying to convince me that i'll land it

that's it

-- bobousse

--
bobousse
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Narniacat

anything special for when you upd or fail a trick? Something to help
get back on that ole unicycle? I find that the mantra does help me
focus and I get revved to go but I have yet to find something for when
I am getting frustrated

Old August 27th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gkmac

Narniacat wrote:
I just started riding last week and I have a unicycle mantra. Sort of
like the little engine that could's "I think i can i think i can." I
say "You can do this. You can do this. You did it before and you can
do it again" along with "Pedal pedal pedal..." before I ride and during
my ride. Also, right before I start I visualize myself doing whatever
I plan on attempting.

Anyone else have any Unicycle mantras/rituals for before, during, or
after a ride?

Yes, I have plenty of mantras.

Once there were some really big steps (each about a foot high) which I
managed to get down on the third attempt. The fourth attempt failed. I
said to myself "I did it once, I can do it again" all the way, but
thirty more failed attempts later I gave up.

For well over a year I've been trying to get past my mental block that
prevents me from hopping up more than four steps (one step at a time as
well). Well over 365 days of "I've done four, five should be easy"
along with every single variant of "I can do it" I have ever thought...
and all for nought. Four steps is still my limit.

So yes I had plenty of mantras. The fact that they seem to have
absolutely no physical improvement whatsoever means I've kind of given
up on them. They only ever stay as words of thought.

--
gkmac

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
"As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
mikepenton
"Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

I never let myself start a line if I prehop more than about 5 times
because it gets me freaked out, and when going really fast in my 36'er
I have a little mantra "I have TOTAL control, there is nothing that can
stop me" and when I fall off I usually blame my uni call it by it's
full name and scold it. Then I appologize give it a pat on the head and
try the line again. I'm an odd one...

--
Ducttape

'-*BUY MY SHIRTS*-'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle/products)
'*WATCH MY VIDEOS*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DucttapesUnicycle)

'*Uniman Comics*'
'*Original Thread for Uniman*'
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Narniacat

Ducttape wrote:
when I fall off I usually blame my uni call it by it's full name and
scold it.

What is your uni's full name?

Old August 27th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

When I was learning, it was "Breathe, sit up straight, breathe, sit up
straight, breathe, sit up straight."
Repeat ad nauseum.

Got me through learning though.

--
Into the blue

\"alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is
my boom stick!\"
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Narniacat wrote:
What is your uni's full name?

which uni? my Learner was George Albert, my DX trials is The Napoleon
Complex, and my Nimbus 36'er is nameless right now.... as is my 24"
project unicycle