bike rack for ladies bikes

Old October 1st 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Default bike rack for ladies bikes

as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.

the present bike rack is cheap halfords jobby. does MTB's and skinny
wheeled bikes with ease. but the big hybrids are pushing it.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old October 1st 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Roger Merriman wrote:
as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.

How about a roof-mounted one that clamps the down-tube? They seem to
work pretty well...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 1st 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Peter Clinch wrote:

Roger Merriman wrote:
as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.

How about a roof-mounted one that clamps the down-tube? They seem to
work pretty well...

Thule do an adaptor to put a horizontal bar onto a ladies frame
http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/pics/.../981-large.jpg
Old October 1st 08, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn[_2_]

Peter Clinch wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.

How about a roof-mounted one that clamps the down-tube? They seem to
work pretty well...

They work excellently but their usefulness to 'the other half' depends
on various factors. My other half can't get the bikes on or off due to a
combination of height of car, her height and her strength at lifting
over her head. It is a factor worth considering!

Colin
Old October 1st 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sara Kirk

In article ,
Colin Blackburn wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.

How about a roof-mounted one that clamps the down-tube? They seem to
work pretty well...

They work excellently but their usefulness to 'the other half' depends
on various factors. My other half can't get the bikes on or off due to a
combination of height of car, her height and her strength at lifting
over her head. It is a factor worth considering!

As Roger's other half - good point. I'm rather short and not very strong!

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!
Old October 1st 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:28:33 +0100
Colin Blackburn wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:

How about a roof-mounted one that clamps the down-tube? They seem
to work pretty well...

They work excellently but their usefulness to 'the other half'
depends on various factors. My other half can't get the bikes on or
off due to a combination of height of car, her height and her
strength at lifting over her head. It is a factor worth considering!

Carry some folding steps in the car?

Old October 1st 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn[_2_]

Sara Kirk wrote:
In article ,
Colin Blackburn wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.
How about a roof-mounted one that clamps the down-tube? They seem to
work pretty well...

They work excellently but their usefulness to 'the other half' depends
on various factors. My other half can't get the bikes on or off due to a
combination of height of car, her height and her strength at lifting
over her head. It is a factor worth considering!

As Roger's other half - good point. I'm rather short and not very strong!

If we use the rack it is normally because we are both going somewhere
with two bikes, so I do the lifting for both of us. Being over 6' helps.
If my partner goes somewhere on her own the bike goes in the back of the
car. It works for us but obviously depends on the size of the bike and car.

I think the towbar mounted carriers are definitely worth looking at if
your car has a towbar.

Colin
Old October 1st 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Roger Merriman wrote:

as per subject really, my wife to be has a nice giant hybrid/shopping
etc bike, getting it on the boot bike rack is something of a fine art,
and i'd not want to take it too far or too fast.

the present bike rack is cheap halfords jobby. does MTB's and skinny
wheeled bikes with ease. but the big hybrids are pushing it.

That's no way to refer to your wife, sir!

tom

--
IMPORTANCE MEMO: WHEN YOU BUY AN N-GAGE QD PLEASE, please CONTINUE
TO TALK ON THE SIDE!!$ Note: the other party will not be able to hear you,
Old October 1st 08, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

Default Don't feed me - was bike rack for ladies bikes

Don't feed me (i.e. the troll). I'm on a fasting regime. I'm told it
will reduce the amount of **** that I talk. Hasn't helped yet though;
all it's resulted in is me posting the same ****ing reply to every
****ing thread that I personally don't like (I prefer to pretend that
speed cameras work and I'm not anti-motorist, you see). So I've gone
from posting lying, anti-motorist bull**** to posting the same, empty
reply with the same ****ing subject line EVERY SINGLE TIME. A
backwards step, unfortunately, methinks.

So, what to do? Nothing, of course. One of the principle things that
makes me an utter ****wit is that I never learn from my mistakes, and
once I start something, I never stop it while people are telling me
to, for fear that I might look weak.