looking for a bike

Old April 27th 10, 04:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default looking for a bike

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia or
overseas? The local market here is fairly limited so I don't mind
travelling to east coast capitals or coastal cities in Queensland.
Old April 27th 10, 07:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Steve Ball[_3_]

Peter:

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia or
overseas? The local market here is fairly limited so I don't mind
travelling to east coast capitals or coastal cities in Queensland.

Have a look he

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/

I've heard a couple of good stories and nothing bad.
--
Steve = : ^ )

Old April 28th 10, 02:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Steve Ball wrote:

Peter:

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia or
overseas? The local market here is fairly limited so I don't mind
travelling to east coast capitals or coastal cities in Queensland.

Have a look he

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/

I've heard a couple of good stories and nothing bad.

Thanks Steve
I was on a ride last night and one of the women had a Cell bike. She
seemed pretty impressed. I've sent them an email to see whether there is
anything like what I want available. I had a look at Jensen in the USA
too. I could get a Surly Long Haul Trucker from them for about $1500
using priceusa.com.au as an intermediary (because Jensen is not allowed
to ship Surlys direct to Australia). The cost landed in Australia is
about $2300.

Peter
Old April 28th 10, 02:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Peter wrote:

Steve Ball wrote:

Peter:

[...]

I mean, the cost of purchasing one in Australia is about $2300

Peter
Old April 28th 10, 03:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 03:43:27 +0000, Peter wrote:

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia

http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au/
Newtown any good?
Try this url.
http://www.cheekytransport.com.au/main/touring/

I've not used them, but other people have recommended them in the past.
At least an email to them is no real cost.
Old April 28th 10, 03:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 27/04/2010 1:43 PM, Peter wrote:
I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia or
overseas? The local market here is fairly limited so I don't mind
travelling to east coast capitals or coastal cities in Queensland.

Europa Cycles have been making their own bicycles (up in Queensland, I
am told) for quite some years now. I recall owning one of their road
bikes years ago but, alas, lost it when I was moving around different
houses.

Nowadays, I believe they OEM some of their bikes from O/S but they still
make their own and once when I asked, John handed over a bunch of metal
tubes and said, "They start like this". I suspect he keeps those tubes
handy for the dramatic effect

John is now advanced in his years and has several ailments. I am not
sure what will happen to Europa Cycles when he is no longer there. I
hope the business continues as I like to think it is one of the cycling
icons of Sydney, like Jack Walsh Cycles in Punchbowl was.

http://www.europacycles.com.au
Old April 28th 10, 06:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2010-04-28, terryc wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 03:43:27 +0000, Peter wrote:

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia

http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au/
Newtown any good?
Try this url.
http://www.cheekytransport.com.au/main/touring/

I've not used them, but other people have recommended them in the past.
At least an email to them is no real cost.

Peter, your original post implies that you're in Queensland. If that's
the case, try Epic Cycles in Brisbane...

http://www.epiccycles.com.au/

They have a good range of tourers and commuters.

--
John
Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
Old April 28th 10, 09:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kathy and Steve

Hi peter,
I am 52 and have been "touring"for the last few years now. I bought a Trek
7500 and it has just been terrific. I dont know about Cell bikes as I
think that buying a bike on the net may be fairly difficult. At the time my
bike cost me approx $1200 and has now done approx 20,000kms with bags on . I
also have a Giant MTB which has done about 3,ooo kms with bags on - I love
both my bikes but they both have different advantages. Does your wife want
to tour on road or off road?
Any way on saying all that - woo hoo we are off on a 2 week MTB tour, all
off road with bags on - the Giant will go well and I wouldnt want to take
the TREK as it is definitely hard work on the dirt. But I can highly
recommend a TREK for on road Touring
Kathy

Old April 28th 10, 11:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

On 28/04/2010 12:22 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
[...]

Agreed. In 1976 John built custom Reynolds 531 framed bikes that my wife
and I rode on our honeymoon. Mine is still going (it is my fixie). A
lovely bike.
Old April 28th 10, 04:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 28/04/2010 8:03 PM, Patrick Keogh wrote:
On 28/04/2010 12:22 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 27/04/2010 1:43 PM, Peter wrote:

Europa Cycles have been making their own bicycles (up in Queensland, I
am told) for quite some years now. I recall owning one of their road
bikes years ago but, alas, lost it when I was moving around different
houses.

John is now advanced in his years and has several ailments. I am not
sure what will happen to Europa Cycles when he is no longer there. I
hope the business continues as I like to think it is one of the cycling
icons of Sydney, like Jack Walsh Cycles in Punchbowl was.

http://www.europacycles.com.au

Agreed. In 1976 John built custom Reynolds 531 framed bikes that my wife
and I rode on our honeymoon. Mine is still going (it is my fixie). A
lovely bike.

Wow! That is a long time ago. Do you still drop in at Europa Bikes?