Pal looking for recommendations for a hybrid

Old July 17th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gunny

Default Pal looking for recommendations for a hybrid

I have no experience whatsoever with hybrid or mountain bikes and was
unable to be of much help to a colleague living in Savannah when he
asked me for help.

Here is his email to me asking for advice in buying a new hybrid-type
bike.

Any suggestions anyone would care to make would be greatly appreciated
and I will pass them along to him.

Many thanks and his email follows;

I have a question--actually a request for some advice. I have an
aging
(early 1980s vintage) Specialized hybrid. I've keep it maintained and
it's
in good shape but I think I'd like to move to something more
contemporary.

I've looked in two bike shops here in Savannah and I think I'd like
another
hybrid, but one with dropped bars in order to allow some variation in
posture. I realize the vast range in price and quality but don't know
much
more about options. I do know what I'd like: that is, a bike that has
tires
fit for the road but ones that could work on a non-paved bike trail
(not
off-roading but, say, an unpaved road; one that is durable but not
clunky;
good gearing that is reliable not overly sensitive, a comfortable
seat, etc.

I'm not interested in paying more than $800 or so and less is better
if
there is something great out there. Could you provide some
general suggestions and observations, including on brands, what to
look out
for etc. Of the two local bike shops, one is very much higher end and
the
other more value-oriented (they'll sell you high end stuff but also
have
$500-1000 price range gear.

Thanks in advance for whatever insights you can share.
Old July 17th 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/17/2011 3:43 PM, Gunny wrote:
[...]
I've looked in two bike shops here in Savannah and I think I'd like
another
hybrid, but one with dropped bars in order to allow some variation in
posture. I realize the vast range in price and quality but don't know
much
more about options. I do know what I'd like: that is, a bike that has
tires
fit for the road but ones that could work on a non-paved bike trail
(not
off-roading but, say, an unpaved road; one that is durable but not
clunky;
good gearing that is reliable not overly sensitive, a comfortable
seat, etc.[...]

If you want drop-bars (or trekking bars), lower gearing, and handling
suitable for riding on screenings, gravel and smooth hard pack, the best
fit would be a touring bike.

REI has a couple of bikes worth looking at, if the budget can be
extended to $900:

http://www.rei.com/product/807245/novara-safari-bike-2011,
http://www.rei.com/product/809009/raleigh-port-townsend-bike-2011.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 19th 11, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gunny

On Jul 17, 5:48*pm, "T°m Sherm@n" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 7/17/2011 3:43 PM, Gunny wrote:
* [...]

[...]

Thanks very much for those suggestions, which I passed along.

While there is no REI store in his state, SC, the Raleigh Port
Townsend, which looks like a very decent bike, ought to be available
at some local bike store or other.

Many thanks, once more.