Warning to Thurst Quenchers

Old September 9th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Warning to Thurst Quenchers

Following Google yesterday it routed me up what turned out to be a 7% grade that was the local speedway for heavy construction trucks. Here I am climbing at 5 mph while trucks were tearing by uphill at 45 mph; DAMNED scary.

At the top of the hill was a stop light and I pulled around the traffic-less corner. Checked Google again which said I was NOWHERE near the proper route. I started back down to the street I had originally left. Turned out the construction trucks didn't want to use their brakes on the way down and were coming within inches of me. Their side mirrors were actually passing over my head as they went by at 50+.

As one was coming up really fast behind me there was a wide spot in the road and I pulled over enough not to get run over. There was another behind but a little way back and I pulled behind the first to get down. On a 7% I was doing about 25 mph and as I got into the lane suddenly I saw ahead tore up asphalt with water leaking all over the place. I couldn't use my brakes to slow at all and I hit that broken road surface so hard that it rotated my bars down 30 degrees.

Being experienced I managed to rapidly pull my weight off of the bars and not fall in front of the very rapidly approaching truck. A truck passed on the left and I managed to pull over and make it to the left turn lane before two more trucks ran the yellow because they were going way too fast to stop.

Back at my car I decided that since that century hadn't given me correct directions to their starting line and now back where I was picking up wifi that showed I was really 13 minutes riding time away from the start after already losing 45 minutes with that horror story that I'd bag the damn thing.

Drove back down to the bay area through more traffic from hell - people who believe that you should get out of their way in the slow lane while driving the speed limit et. al.

Got home and drove in the garage. I was letting my blood pressure come back down after that drive and suddenly I heard a loud explosion.

I got out of the car to see what it was: I had used an old white plastic Performance water bottle. Apparently even though I was driving in relatively cool weather steam pressure must have built up in that bottle and it exploded throwing shrapnel in the form of small bits of sharp plastic everywhere as the top of the large size water bottle separated from the lower section.

If that occurs to you it might both injure you and/or cause you to lose control.

So if you have the old plastic type water bottles from Performance be sure to throw them away.

Warning: Magilla Impotence Counter and Warning Signal Anton Berlin Racing 0 August 15th 09 09:58 PM
Warning lardyninja UK 15 April 28th 07 06:37 AM
A Warning to all Flying Echidna Australia 7 January 9th 06 07:48 PM
Muc-Off warning Richard Bates UK 8 March 28th 05 10:24 AM
Maybe a warning Mike Marketplace 11 February 1st 05 01:44 AM