Tan sidewalls deteriorate faster than all-black sidewalls?

Old October 18th 05, 03:37 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default Tan sidewalls deteriorate faster than all-black sidewalls?

Do tan-sidewalled tires deteriorate faster than all-black sidewall tires, in
your experience(s)? Or am I just seeing more deteriorated tires from when
tan sidewalls were more popular?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 18th 05, 04:18 AM
41

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Do tan-sidewalled tires deteriorate faster than all-black sidewall tires, in
your experience(s)? Or am I just seeing more deteriorated tires from when
tan sidewalls were more popular?

We had a thread covering this some while ago. I was complaining that
IRC Road Winners and Tandems are now manufactured only in black wall.

If the blackwall is carbon rubber, it will block UV light better,
unlike the plain transparent rubber of a tan skinwall. So, if you leave
your tires out in the Texas sun, as Chalo did, it seems the tanwall
will deteriorate faster.

However, for most of the rest of us, none of this matters. There are
only old Conti self-destructing sidewalls (or chafing strips, as it
apparently turned out to be), and everything else which lasts just
fine. The rest of the tire will go kaput before you've finished with
either tanwall or blackwall.

In theory, since carbon is an energy-sucking material, blackwall tires
should have greater rolling resistance. In practice, who cares, it's
all mighty thin. It boils down to looks and the tan sidewalls win big
there, the all-black being quite ugly, a perfect match to today's
extraordinarily ugly fashionable bikes. Hard to imagine anything uglier
but then they do manage to outdo themselves every year.

Conti Ultra 4000s are available even in metallic colours now, man will
you look good. No carbon but they do claim to add a UV filter, no
reason a plain tan wall couldn't have that too.

Old October 18th 05, 04:55 AM
Dave Thompson

41 wrote:
snip.... In theory, since carbon is an energy-sucking material, blackwall
tires
should have greater rolling resistance....snip

I would really like to hear your reasoning behind that statement!

Old October 18th 05, 05:33 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:37:02 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

Do tan-sidewalled tires deteriorate faster than all-black sidewall tires, in
your experience(s)? Or am I just seeing more deteriorated tires from when
tan sidewalls were more popular?

IME, yes, they did and they do.

YMMV.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 18th 05, 09:23 AM
Graham Steer

IME all coloured sidewalls deteriorate fairly quickly. Way back I had some
Michelin Bi-Sports with orange side walls on my training bike and the
surface of the side walls split after a 1000 miles or so. I ride my racing
bike on Vredstein TriComps with red side walls. These split after only a
couple of months and soon look like crazy paving. I run them at 10 bar or
145psi and they will continue in service until the black centre tread part
completely wears out. In total I have clocked up over 6000 miles on TriComps
in this condition without a single flat and no noticeable deterioration in
performance. My view therefore is that the rubber on the sidewall
contributes very little to the performance or life of the tyre.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:6dZ4f.5430$vk1.463@dukeread04...

Old October 18th 05, 12:27 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:23:00 +0100, "Graham Steer"
wrote:

I run them at 10 bar or 145psi

Why? That's pretty high. Are you very heavy?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 18th 05, 04:08 PM
maxo

Depends on the black sidewalls coating as well--some just have a little
skim coat of material coating the threads, others, like the 28mm cheapo
Hutchinson Flashes I run in the city, have a thick coating of rubber
over the sidewall threads for abrasion durability as well.

As to the ugly/not debate: I find tan sidewalls to be visually messy,
just like overly frilly lugs. They get grubby pretty quickly--I'll take
solid black any day. Same goes for bikes--I like smooth top leather
saddles w/o stitiching or "schvans-ports" like Turbos, and frames like
Gunnar does 'em--nice smooth welds, traditional where it makes sense,
and a little more modern where it doesn't.

Old October 18th 05, 05:59 PM
Graham Steer

That's their max rating. If you believe rolling resistance is inversely
proportional to tyre pressure then that should be minimum rolling
resistance. If you believe the risk of flats is lower at higher pressures
then could that be the reason I have never had a flat with these tyres? The
bike handles fine and the ride is comfortable. Centuries are no problem. So
I have never bothered to experiment with lower pressures. If you can offer
me any positive benefits from running them lower I am willing to give it a
try.

As for weight 76.4kg or 168lbs

Old October 18th 05, 07:55 PM
waxbytes

I don't think tan or coloured sidewalls last much better than black,
it's just that black hides the aging better. It's the casing, not the
coating that matters in road tire sidewalls.

--
waxbytes

Old October 18th 05, 09:00 PM
Nick Payne

If you park your bike out in the Sun at work all day, as I do five days a
week, then the sidewalls of tyres without rubber on the sidewalls do perish
more quickly.

On my other bikes that live in the garage when they're not being ridden, the
sidewall outlasts the tread.

Nick