The end of the flying pigeon...

Old May 23rd 06, 06:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default The end of the flying pigeon...

Saw this in today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...150185062.html
-
ONE of the most iconic symbols of old China — the sturdy, gearless
black bicycle ridden by the masses — is running out of customers in
Lycra-clad, mountain-biking modern China.

Sales at Flying Pigeon, the state bicycle company set up after the
Communist revolution in 1949, have plummeted so far that the company is
considering outsourcing to South-East Asia and Africa to cut costs.

Tens of thousands of Flying Pigeon and the other two former state
brands, Forever and Phoenix, still travel the cycle lanes of China's
cities. But cars are now king and the cycle lanes are being rebranded
highways.

Bicycles have been banned in parts of Shanghai to ease congestion and
cycling in Beijing has become a daily suicide mission with 1500 new
cars a day swerving onto the capital's roads.

In a cut-throat market, the only bicycles selling well are racers and
mountain bikes. Most up-and-coming Chinese would not be seen dead on
Flying Pigeon's sturdy 20-kilogram bone-shaker with its reinforced
crossbar to carry pigs.

Sales have plunged since the 1980s when 4 million cycles were sold each
year. Last year 1.5 million were made, 30 per cent of which were
exported.

Yet the company does not believe in advertising. "We have no need to
advertise. Everybody in China knows Flying Pigeon," the company's
export director, Wang Dajian, said.

Asked if he was willing to enter a joint venture to help to modernise
the company, Mr Wang was horrified. "Never! No! Too much history, too
much culture. We can never have joint venture here. Flying Pigeon is
too Chinese, too traditional."

Traditional perhaps, but many of the young employees who make up the
500-strong workforce arrive at work on stylish mountain bikes.-

I've never ridden one so I can't talk, but seems like an awful shame if
it were to disappear... Especially with the retro-revolution in Western
countries... Hmm... anybody know enough Chinese to set about importing
the newest retro cool accessory?? hmm...

--
eddiec

Old May 23rd 06, 08:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

eddiec quoth thus -

"Bicycles have been banned in parts of Shanghai to ease congestion"

Oh yeah that's gonna help - kinda hoped they might have learnt from the
West's mistakes?!?

best, Andrew

Old May 23rd 06, 09:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle

eddiec wrote:

Yet the company does not believe in advertising. "We have no need to
advertise. Everybody in China knows Flying Pigeon," the company's
export director, Wang Dajian, said.

Asked if he was willing to enter a joint venture to help to modernise
the company, Mr Wang was horrified. "Never! No! Too much history, too
much culture. We can never have joint venture here. Flying Pigeon is
too Chinese, too traditional."

Traditional perhaps, but many of the young employees who make up the
500-strong workforce arrive at work on stylish mountain bikes.-

Reminds me of the film "Spotswood".

I've never ridden one so I can't talk, but seems like an awful shame if
it were to disappear... Especially with the retro-revolution in Western
countries... Hmm... anybody know enough Chinese to set about importing
the newest retro cool accessory?? hmm...

I wonder whether they could adopt the Harley Davidson marketing
approach. I think their sales were plummeting when they basically sold
to biker lifestylers but when they started to sell to middle-aged men
looking for their lost youth they found a new outlet. Perhaps all those
aging baby boomer comrades could be encouraged to reduce their waistline
on a Pigeon.

I once had a fantastic silk screened poster which depicted Mao Zedong
holding up a bike, with Chinese text saying "For your health's sake,
ride a bicycle". Somehow it was lost in my travels.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old May 23rd 06, 10:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Andrew Price wrote:
eddiec quoth thus -

"Bicycles have been banned in parts of Shanghai to ease congestion"

Oh yeah that's gonna help - kinda hoped they might have learnt from the
West's mistakes?!?

best, Andrew

The chinese learn from others mistakes about congestion? You think that
thats likely?

Dave
Old May 23rd 06, 01:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"eddiec" wrote:

Saw this in today's Age:

snip

Hmm... anybody know enough Chinese to set about importing
the newest retro cool accessory?? hmm...

It's already being done!
http://www.bicyclesforever.com.au/co...26donerw%3Dyes

Saw these at the Celluloid Cycles film festival. Pretty basic quality level,
but I'd lve to have one for the cool retro style.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@