downloadable heart rate monitors

Old October 22nd 03, 09:38 PM
Chris Jain

Default downloadable heart rate monitors

"Nick Burns" wrote in message om...

I have used them for many years and I get a lot of value from them. In fact,
I doubt if I would use an HRM very often if I could not record the workouts.

I would take a look at the software and then compare the data storage. You
want to look at "sample rate" (how often the data points are recorded) and
total capacity (number of individual files and hours of storage).

I am biased in favor of Polar because I have always had great performance
and your will find that it is the most popular brand. This is important if
you wiull be exchanging the files with others. You might want to hire a
coach, who will ask for your archives or you might have a buddy one say that
you want to send the file to (for any number of reasons). The Polar models
that use the IR link are the only models I would consider because the "Sonic
Link" models all have very limited storage and you do not pay much more for
the IR models. The last I heard, the Sonic Link models also got inferior
software, but I also heard that will change if it hasn't already. Service
and support is also excellent. Look at the 710/720 (for the bike features)
or 810/820 (more memory and features but you lose the bike specific metrics)
models since those are the IR models I prefer.

You should also cross post with rec.bicycles.tech and consider removing
*racing.

I got the Suunto x6hr a few days ago and have been playing with it. It
was a gift, but I've been given the go-ahead to trade it in if
something else would work better. Unfortunately I don't have any
other experience with heart rate monitors to compare it with.

One of the features of the Suunto x6hr is that it has a pretty
accurate barometric altimeter built in. This should be particularly
useful for me because I intend to use if for mountaineering, in
addition to running, cycling, etc. But I was just looking at this
comparison chart http://www.healthchecksystems.com/polarcompare.htm
and I see that the Polar S-720 also has an altimeter (and seems to be
quite a bit less expensive as well). (The chart for Suunto is
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/suunto_compare.htm ).

The Suunto x6hr interfaces with your PC via a wire connection
(included with the watch) which clips to the watch and connects to a
PC serial port. Seems quick and easy.

On the downside, my x6hr seems to have trouble picking up the heart
signal in my car with the engine running or on the stairmaster. Due to
interference no doubt, but I find this annyoing, particularly on the
stairmaster. I'm not sure if a Polar would have fared any better.

It seems that Suunto and Polar work together. For example the Suunto
Advizor actaully uses Polar HRM technology (including a Polar-labeld
transmitter). I'm not sure if the x6hr also uses this (just branded as
Suunto) or whether its their own proprietary technology.

I do not find the Suunto software particularly easy to use, nor is the
documentation very good. But maybe it is fine, once you play with it
and learn how to use it. (Just looking at the Polar web stie, I see
that they have a pretty comprehensive manual for their software. The
Sunnto software only has a rather simple online help function--no
actual manual.
Old October 22nd 03, 09:44 PM
Chris Jain

"One Step Beyond" wrote in message ...
I git a Polar 710 and it is the business. Mine is the cycling version and
you can Infra Red your records from the monitor into the PC where it does
all sorts of analysis. Cannot recommend mine highly enough.
OSB

How do you like the altitude feature on the 710? Do you know if it is
temperature compensated? Thanks.
Old October 24th 03, 10:59 PM
Balin, Son of Fundi, Lord of Muria

The altitude bit is the one weakness of the device in my opinion. The
temperature sensor can be wayward too at times. However, I have calibrated
my Ploar against more accurate measurements in the lab and it comes out
almost spot on for heart rate and distance covered.
Steve
m...

Old October 25th 03, 12:57 AM

The Polar altitude feature is definitely _not_ reliable. When
workout at home, the altitude chart shows that I have been descending,
and end up 50-100 feet lower than where I started. My house
isn't moving.

Old October 25th 03, 09:07 AM
Erik Lindeberg

wrote in message
The Polar altitude feature is definitely _not_ reliable. When
workout at home, the altitude chart shows that I have been descending,
and end up 50-100 feet lower than where I started. My house
isn't moving.

Altitude measurements based on the barometric pressure will always be
subject for changes in air pressure due natural metrology changes (change in
weather). I have compared the altimeter in my Polar 710i with a laboratory
barometer and there were no noticeable instability that could not be
explained by changes in barometric pressure over a 24 hr period. These
changes are typically less 50 ft during a long training pass if there are no
dramatic changes in weather conditions. If you want an altimeter that is
independent of weather, you better buy a big and bulky GPS if you have the
bucks.

Erik Lindeberg, Trondheim, Norway