Riding Alone - SPOT vs 406Mhz PLB

Old September 4th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
ds

Default Riding Alone - SPOT vs 406Mhz PLB

SPOT has come out with a pretty cool safety / communications device that is
worth looking into while out of cellphone range during a ride.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

The SPOT messenger has numerous similarities to the 406Mhz Personnel
Locating Beacon (PLB) with some benefits and drawbacks to beware of;

Benefits
1. Initial price ($169.99) vise PLB ($400 without GPS to $600 with GPS)
2. Ability to send "OK" alerts with GPS position to 10 e-mail addresses
(keeps the wife happy)
3. Ability to send "HELP" (non-distress, I got a flat tire) alerts with GPS
position to 10 e-mail addresses
4. Ability for designated people to track your progress via a website
(yearly re-occurring $50 subscription)
5. Compact, about 1/2 size of the ACR Microfix PLB

Drawbacks
1. Yearly re-occurring satellite subscription ($99.99)
2. Doesn't provide worldwide coverage
3. Distress signal is only .4 millwatt vise 5 watts transmission burst for a
PLB
4. Needs a clear view of the sky to receive GPS signal to provide position
5. Lacks a 121.5Mhz homing beacon for the searchers to localize your
position on the ground
6. A private/commercial organization (Geos Alliance) monitors the distress
alerts vise an internationally recognized Rescue Coordination Center (Coast
Guard or AFRCC)
7. Not all Rescue Coordination Centers are familiar with this new product
that could delay help as they figure out what a "911 Alert" from a SPOT is
and what is Geos Alliance.
8. While specifically advertised as a non-distress alert, the "HELP" button
can cause confusion with your e-mail recipients not familiar with the system
(what kind of help does he need? Should we call the sheriff or Coast Guard
for help?)

Or purchase a 406Mhz PLB and register it with NOAA SARSAT
(http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/). The 406Mhz PLB was designed with the world
traveler hiker, biker, hunter in mind and activating it upon injury is
appropriate.
http://www.acrelectronics.com/
http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/

Both devices require manual intervention to activate. Along with the "ICE"
recommendation KM provided and letting a responsible person know your
intentions are best practices of action to follow while out in the boonies.

Doug

"Kid Mustang" wrote in message
On 07/20/08 14:08, Javier wrote:
I've decided to get back on my mountain bike after two years of just
being on my road bike. Since I have to ride very early in the morning,
around 6AM, this usually means solo rides through the trails on top of
Skyline Drive in NJ.

If possible can I get some advice as to what I should bring with me
from a safety perspective on my solo rides? My biggest worry is
getting injured and not being able to walk out of the situation.

Thanks,

Javier

Put an 'ICE' entry into your cell phone address book. 'ICE' stands for In
Case of Emergency. It would be the phone number of the person that you
want contacted in case of an emergency. If you are found unconscious
First Responders will look in your address book & contact that person.
It's usually your wife or home phone.

KM.

slipping chain at same spot (and only that spot) Maurice W UK 5 June 3rd 07 09:49 AM
Spot the unicycle cathwood Unicycling 4 December 23rd 05 03:23 AM
Advertise on TV only $30 for 30 second spot! [email protected] General 0 May 27th 05 07:58 PM
Lunch spot aspenmike Unicycling 2 May 16th 05 06:18 PM
Spot the year Tony Raven UK 5 June 15th 04 12:28 PM