Shorter cranks on Double Vision

Old October 27th 03, 12:55 AM
Perry

Default Shorter cranks on Double Vision

I did a Google search to see if any new pertinent information had come to
light lately. All that popped up were posts of mine, expounding the
gloriousness of shorter cranks. I am at least a year into using shorter
cranks (165's) and I positively have no knee pain on my single bike.
The tandem (Double Vision) has 175's and my knee always hurts when we ride
it.
Any new ideas on shortening cranks on the DV? I called Vision and Ricky
Comar said it would cost about $15,000. Machining, R& D, prototypes, etc.
(I have heard that Ricky Comar is not at Vision anymore...)
Perry
bentcajungirl
down to just a
Double Vision
New R-40
Husband's R-44
and still the El Camino.

Old October 27th 03, 01:42 AM
Guess Who I Am

Hello:
if you donot have IPS or splined crank i know of a machine shop that will drill
and tap them out for you.
if intrested please e-mail me back.
Thank you Earl
GRR,RANS V2
Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Old October 27th 03, 03:00 AM
Perry

Hi Earl,
I do have IPS. (and I believe they're tapered) Why does that make a
difference?
Perry

Old October 27th 03, 03:52 AM
Don

Perry, I do not know if the DV is something unique or just uses
regular tandem components. Maybe what I am posting is useless to you.
But hopefully it is not. St. John Street Cycles.
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm has beautiful Thorn cranks
for front and rear tandems 140-175mm

In the index do NOT look under cranksets. Look under "Chainsets" then
"Tandem chainsets/cranks". I have a triple solo from them in 150mm
and it is very nicely done. I picked the TA rings. Their polish
matches the crank and they are ramped and pinned. Note which are
marked outer, middle, and inner. Please note on pricing, US
customers do not have to pay the value added tax so the listed price
must be reduced by that amount. Also, when I ordered the arms, rings,
and bolts I was promptly informed that what I ordered was considered a
kit so they assembled it for me and greatly reduced the price.
Delivered to my door in Sacramento from Jolly Olde in 9 days from my
order. Nice chaps to deal with. Spot on and all that rot. Good luck.
Don
Old October 27th 03, 04:20 AM
Jeff Wills

"Perry" wrote in message ...
snip
Any new ideas on shortening cranks on the DV? I called Vision and Ricky
Comar said it would cost about $15,000. Machining, R& D, prototypes, etc.
(I have heard that Ricky Comar is not at Vision anymore...)

Yeah, Ricky left a couple months back.

Regarding the cranksets: the IPS system required some special
machining to accomodate the freewheel mechanism. A really good
machinist might be able to set up shorter cranks for IPS- but it's
fairly sensitive. You might want to talk to someone familiar with
machining and bicycles... perhaps Longbikes or Terracycle.

OTOH- ask yourself how often you use the IPS system. If you think you
can get away with captain-only freewheeling (that is, the captain
could coast on his own, but the stoker would be forced to pedal when
the captain pedaled) then you could replace the stoker cranks with
standard, but shorter cranks. That's certainly the least expensive
proposition.

Jeff

Old October 27th 03, 05:36 AM
Prints

I run 145mm cranks on my trike and I'm a convert. Stopped my knee pain.
Smoother and higher cadence. If it's all in the mind, it worked for me.

MR now supply 155mm cranks on their Swiftlet S2.

Paul W

Old October 27th 03, 11:09 AM
Guess Who I Am

Perry:
i'm sorry they can tap out your ips tapered cranks. the shop is Custom
Machinery in Schiller Park ,il.
if intrested contact Len at:

Thank you Earl
GRR,RANS V2
Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Old October 27th 03, 01:02 PM
Perry

There is positively NO WAY I will ever give up IPS. Not until they pry my
cold dead toes from my Frogs. With a big battleship hulking bike like the
Double Vision, there are just too many needs for the IPS.
Perry

Old October 27th 03, 06:04 PM
Steve Christensen

In article , Perry says...

There is positively NO WAY I will ever give up IPS. Not until they pry my
cold dead toes from my Frogs.

What a GREAT line to be overheard by somone who has no knowledge of cycling.

"Just what were your toes doing on your Frogs?"

Steve Christensen